E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stumped - Alarm goes off when opening trunk need help

12-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Stumped - Alarm goes off when opening trunk need help

I noticed if I open my the trunk of my locked car using the rubber button under it and with the keys in my pocket, thus enabling the comfort access to unlock the trunk, the alarm goes off. If I try the same by unlocking the first, either with FOB of handles comfort access, then go open the trunk no alarm. Also, if I open the trunk with the key FOB it works fine to.

Now I recently did a batch of coding on my car and one modules I played with was the alarm one that has the siren function. In there I made my car only beep when locked, and make no beep when unlocking. No noticeable issues during my coding and all went well. So I don't know if coincidence or not. So, I reset that module to the stock coding settings and issue is still present.

I am completely stumped. I hope this is not the beginning of some of those infamous BMW electrical issues I sometimes hear about. It's as if, the car doesn't send the signal in time or there is no signal sent to the module that says "OK the trunk is unlocked, no alarm set".

I played in ISTA with the alarm stuff and everything seem to be ok. What else is the next step to try?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Bumpp
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

I don’t have CA, but if I open my trunk with my key the alarm goes off. If I open with fob, no issue... I always thought that was strange but since I don’t have CA I just assumed it wasn’t smart enough to know I’m using the key and not a screwdriver or pick set.

Is this a new issue?
      01-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I don’t have CA, but if I open my trunk with my key the alarm goes off. If I open with fob, no issue... I always thought that was strange but since I don’t have CA I just assumed it wasn’t smart enough to know I’m using the key and not a screwdriver or pick set.

Is this a new issue?
What do you mean open trunk with key? Like with the physical key?

Yeah it wouldn't do this before, before it would pop the trunk open (even though car is locked and alarmed by either FOB or handles) and alarm would not go off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What do you mean open trunk with key? Like with the physical key?

Yeah it wouldn't do this before, before it would pop the trunk open (even though car is locked and alarmed by either FOB or handles) and alarm would not go off.
Strange... Maybe mine is working incorrectly too. Makes me think perhaps there’s a micro switch in or attached to lock cylinder that should normally detect the key turn prior to opening in my case, but isn’t functioning correctly. I did find it odd that using the key to open the trunk would set off the alarm, since I don’t have this issue when unlocking driver door with key.

Yes, I’m referring to physical key. It’s a pre-lci car so there’s a key cylinder for trunk.

I’ll be following this one, but unfortunately I don’t have much to offer. In your case, since the system is electronic, I find it odd since it doesn’t seem there would be any physical parts that could fail that would cause this. I’ll look into my issue and maybe that will provide some insight into yours...
      01-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Strange... Maybe mine is working incorrectly too. Makes me think perhaps there’s a micro switch in or attached to lock cylinder that should normally detect the key turn prior to opening in my case, but isn’t functioning correctly. I did find it odd that using the key to open the trunk would set off the alarm, since I don’t have this issue when unlocking driver door with key.

Yes, I’m referring to physical key. It’s a pre-lci car so there’s a key cylinder for trunk.

I’ll be following this one, but unfortunately I don’t have much to offer. In your case, since the system is electronic, I find it odd since it doesn’t seem there would be any physical parts that could fail that would cause this. I’ll look into my issue and maybe that will provide some insight into yours...

Oh yeah the key slot was on pre-lcis. Would be nice to test that.

Interesting development from my end, as I was typing I was going to say "In my case, comfort access detects the key and unlocks so can't be a hardware issue" but then I never really tried to open trunk without key? Well, car is locked and my keys inside the house, go in the garage and the trunk just opened when pressed the button and alarm went off.

So then.. maybe physical? But the latch mechanism is linked with the lock itself right? What I mean, there is no actual trunk lock, the way the trunk is locked is just that the button when pressed won't pop the trunk right?

Lmao how love how your post made me indirectly find this, since I went out to test it We are getting somewhere now!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah the key slot was on pre-lcis. Would be nice to test that.

Interesting development from my end, as I was typing I was going to say "In my case, comfort access detects the key and unlocks so can't be a hardware issue" but then I never really tried to open trunk without key? Well, car is locked and my keys inside the house, go in the garage and the trunk just opened when pressed the button and alarm went off.

So then.. maybe physical? But the latch mechanism is linked with the lock itself right? What I mean, there is no actual trunk lock, the way the trunk is locked is just that the button when pressed won't pop the trunk right?

Lmao how love how your post made me indirectly find this, since I went out to test it We are getting somewhere now!
LOL wait so your trunk straight-up opened with no key at all? Hmm—that’s not normal!

I looked into this on RealOEM. It appears the lock cylinder is attached to the latch with a Bowden cable, and that the latch itself is where the micro switch resides. Not sure that helps, but...

Is there anything where the lock cylinder would normally be on your trunk? On RealOEM there were two parts: “catch with key” and “catch with code,” with the latter being what’s in your car. So for mine it has an actual keyway, but for yours despite there being no keyway it sounds like it’s still there?

See here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_1677
      01-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL wait so your trunk straight-up opened with no key at all? Hmm—that’s not normal!

I looked into this on RealOEM. It appears the lock cylinder is attached to the latch with a Bowden cable, and that the latch itself is where the micro switch resides. Not sure that helps, but...

Is there anything where the lock cylinder would normally be on your trunk? On RealOEM there were two parts: “catch with key” and “catch with code,” with the latter being what’s in your car. So for mine it has an actual keyway, but for yours despite there being no keyway it sounds like it’s still there?

See here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_1677
Yeah so I checked RealOEM to and was really confused. Both part numbers for that show a key lock cylinder.

But looked inside trunk and nothing, just have part 5, the latch and microswitch.

So... maybe it is a coding issue, like the car doesn't know it has a trunk or something? I'll reset the coding for the other modules I played with.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Okay so I reset coding of CAS and JBE and it fixed it. Loaded back my old coding and the issue didn't come back so I'm not to sure why it fixed itself... but at least it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #10
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Okay so I reset coding of CAS and JBE and it fixed it. Loaded back my old coding and the issue didn't come back so I'm not to sure why it fixed itself... but at least it's fixed.
Thanks for the update! I’m glad to know. I may have to try this too.

So, you saved your coding, flashed back to stock, and then re-loaded your saved coding and all was well?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! I’m glad to know. I may have to try this too.

So, you saved your coding, flashed back to stock, and then re-loaded your saved coding and all was well?
Sorry for the late reply I was playing with it to identify the coding line that was screwing it up.

Finally, the culprit was the JBE module, I changed the line below to "aktiv", thinking I removed this option since when I tried my key fob to open my trunk it wouldn't open, I guess I didn't do it correctly. Set it back to not enabled and now all works good, trunk open with keyfob, and trunk stays locked when no CA keyfob nearby, and no alarm triggered.

Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50