BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
TheFiX3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone install the BimmerTech Smartview products or similar HDMI input?

Have searched the forum but cannot seem to locate a relevant thread.

Curious about the install of the BimmerTech SmartView HD product and how it connects and switches the audio. (That is, when using, do I need to switch audio and video independently, or is it one simple step?)

BimmerTech's sales staff has been a little stubborn about only selling the MMI with the AppleTV or Miracast device (which I do not want, as I have a Pixel and intend to use a Chromecast), and not fully explaining how the audio is connected given the lack of an AUX input.

Also very interested in any other HDMI A/V solutions anyone may have installed.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheFiX3r; 01-04-2021 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I realize I am not answering your question (I don't know the answer), but the BimmerTech webpage says that the product you are considering "Has in-built AirPlay and Miracast receivers." It seems to lack a Chromecast receiver, so you will not be able to connect to it using Chromecast. To connect using Chromecast, the device would need to be updated/redesigned to support that type of connection. I would talk to BimmerTech and explain to them exactly what you want to do. They will either tell you that the device will simply not do it for you, or will tell you exactly what you need to do to get the functionality you seek (perhaps add one more component like Google's Chromecast), or will be cagey in their response (in which case I would recommend you stay away from the product).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #3
TheFiX3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

The MMI box they use has an HDMI input (used by both the AppleTV and the MiraCast options) so that's what I'm planning on connecting. HDMI is HDMI. Shouldn't matter whether it's an AppleTV or Chromecast.

(What Bimmertech offers looks to be a BM16-ID6 unit with Bimmertech badging. Would just like to know more about the audio setup since the MMI has analog RCA outputs.)
Appreciate 0