BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Configure M button

01-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Configure M button

Greetings, Happy New year everyone!! I know there are multiple threads regarding configuring the M1/M2 buttons. However, I have a specific question. My apologies in advance if this issue has been addressed!!

When setting up the M button you have a choice for the transmission between D1, D2, D3 or S1, S2, S3. I know the difference between selecting S mode (manual) or D mode (auto) using the gear shifter. My question is, how does selecting D vs S mode in the M button settings would affect the transmission if the gear shifter is actually in the opposite driving mode?? I really appreciate in advance your thoughts and input!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Last edited by POBA; 01-05-2021 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
It doesn't matter if you're originally in auto (D) or manual (S). After you press your M button, the settings programmed on your M button override your current settings. You can press that M button again to return to your previous settings.
Appreciate 1
POBA273.50
      01-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
TheD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
It doesn't matter if you're originally in auto (D) or manual (S). After you press your M button, the settings programmed on your M button override your current settings. You can press that M button again to return to your previous settings.
Double press.
Appreciate 1
POBA273.50
      01-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #4
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD View Post
Double press.
Wdym double press? Do you mean you gotta press the M button twice since the car asks you to confirm after the 1st button press? I think the car asks you to confirm only if you programmed MDM/traction off on your M button.
Appreciate 2
POBA273.50
Jamesmick131.00
      01-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD View Post
Double press.
Wdym double press? Do you mean you gotta press the M button twice since the car asks you to confirm after the 1st button press? I think the car asks you to confirm only if you programmed MDM/traction off on your M button.
I don't think he means that. If you change traction control to MDM or off for either M button, that'll require a prompted double-press to select it. Not the topic here, though, I think. If you press M1 and, having changed nothing about its setup, you press M1 again, it'll revert to default settings (or as they were before you first pressed the M button). It's handy to know when you've got a Starbucks in your right hand and need to return to auto shift (D).
Appreciate 2
POBA273.50
Jamesmick131.00
      01-05-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I don't think he means that. If you change traction control to MDM or off for either M button, that'll require a prompted double-press to select it. Not the topic here, though, I think. If you press M1 and, having changed nothing about its setup, you press M1 again, it'll revert to default settings (or as they were before you first pressed the M button). It's handy to know when you've got a Starbucks in your right hand and need to return to auto shift (D).
Yea but I said exactly that (press again to return to previous settings) in my original post so i got confused lol.
Appreciate 2
POBA273.50
Jamesmick131.00
      01-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the clarification! I would love to hear your thoughts about my initial question! Stay safe!
Appreciate 1
limeypride4429.00
      01-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

The answer to your question is the car will change to what is program for the M button. After you de-activate the button it will return to what is selected by the shift lever. The transmission setting will be indicated on the display regardless of the position the shift lever.
Appreciate 2
POBA273.50
Jamesmick131.00
      01-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
The answer to your question is the car will change to what is program for the M button. After you de-activate the button it will return to what is selected by the shift lever. The transmission setting will be indicated on the display regardless of the position the shift lever.
The part I'm not following here is the comment regarding the position of the transmission lever—it only has one physical position. It's functionality is governed by an action like jogging right or pulling backwards, none of which change its final resting place (other than reverse, of course, but I'm confident you can't program that into an M button ). For the geeks among us, it's event or state-change driven, not merely state.

:
Appreciate 1
POBA273.50
      01-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The part I'm not following here is the comment regarding the position of the transmission lever—it only has one physical position. It's functionality is governed by an action like jogging right or pulling backwards, none of which change its final resting place (other than reverse, of course, but I'm confident you can't program that into an M button ). For the geeks among us, it's event or state-change driven, not merely state.

:
Thank you all for the replies!! Sorry for the confusion! The transmission lever can be in either auto (D mode) or manual (S mode). Under configure M button settings, you have an option among others to choose D1, D2, D3 or S1, S2, S3. I am just not clear on what happens if you have the transmission lever in D mode and you then press the M button which you already configured to be in S3 mode and vice versa. After pressing the M button, does the M button override your previous transmission lever selection of D mode and change it to S3 mode? Again, thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Quote:

:
Thank you all for the replies!! Sorry for the confusion! The transmission lever can be in either auto (D mode) or manual (S mode). Under configure M button settings, you have an option among others to choose D1, D2, D3 or S1, S2, S3. I am just not clear on what happens if you have the transmission lever in D mode and you then press the M button which you already configured to be in S3 mode and vice versa. After pressing the M button, does the M button override your previous transmission lever selection of D mode and change it to S3 mode? Again, thank you!!
Yes. The M buttons override everything.
Appreciate 2
Jamesmick131.00
POBA273.50
      07-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #12
NCDD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

M1 & M2

Just purchased a 2022 M5 COMP and trying to set up my M configurations on this one. Had a 2019 that I just sold. I tried setting M2 button To Beast Mode (every cat Sport plus). Noticed the car doesn't down shift on it's own from 8th gear when I punch it. Shifter goes right into manual mode..

Is it because I have the trans setting on S3 not D3??

Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:54 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDD View Post
Just purchased a 2022 M5 COMP and trying to set up my M configurations on this one. Had a 2019 that I just sold. I tried setting M2 button To Beast Mode (every cat Sport plus). Noticed the car doesn't down shift on it's own from 8th gear when I punch it. Shifter goes right into manual mode..

Is it because I have the trans setting on S3 not D3??

Thx
Yes, exactly. Set to D3 and it will down shift when you punch it. The “D” is the shifting being done for you, the “S” is you doing the shifting.

EDIT — Thanks to pmsteinm. Setting to D3 will cause it it shift to the lowest gear when you punch it, not downshift by one gear.
      07-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #14
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
It will not downshift in manual mode when you floor it. You must shift down. If you shift while flooring it will jump to the lowest gear. The only time it downshifts for you in manual is to prevent engine stall while either braking or coasting.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 08:00 PM   #15
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
It will not downshift in manual mode when you floor it. You must shift down. If you shift while flooring it will jump to the lowest gear. The only time it downshifts for you in manual is to prevent engine stall while either braking or coasting.
Thanks for clarifying. I was not clear there. You are absolutely right. I did not mean that D3 will downshift to the next sequentially lower gear, but rather to the lowest gear possible. I suppose that a sequential drop by one gear is the stricter definition of “downshift” as opposed to shifting to a lower gear. I did mean it in the broader sense of shifting down, but not necessarily one gear down.
      07-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #16
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I was not clear there. You are absolutely right. I did not mean that D3 will downshift to the next sequentially lower gear, but rather to the lowest gear possible. I suppose that a sequential drop by one gear is the stricter definition of “downshift” as opposed to shifting to a lower gear. I did mean it in the broader sense of shifting down, but necessarily one gear down.
Ha. I wasn't trying to correct you. I didn't even see your post. We posted at the exact same time it looks like. It should warn you like Outlook does when replying to a thread.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 09:02 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
Ha. I wasn't trying to correct you. I didn't even see your post. We posted at the exact same time it looks like. It should warn you like Outlook does when replying to a thread.
That would be so useful!

Sorry, tone is hard to convey on the internet! I didn’t mean to come off as aggressive — I was genuinely thankful for (what I thought was) a meritorious clarification.

You are correct nonetheless. Thanks for being kind and civil.