BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Phone mount

Hi all. I’m only about a week in but already not loving the wireless charging setup. It’s awkward to get the phone in and out of the charger (I have the vertical charger on the left w/o the cooled/heated cup holders). I also end up leaving the car without remembering my phone, but that’s user error and something I’m sure I could train myself to stop doing.

I use Waze mostly and between that and just the wireless heat generated, I’m thinking it would be better to just have the phone mounted somewhere and plug it in. My phone has turned into a fire brick even on short drives.

I have used Proclip mounts for years. Here’s the mount and location I’m considering: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

The phone holder (sells separately from the mount) I have just detaches from the mount I’m using for my previous car and screws onto this one. I also have the holder with the plug built in so I wouldn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging the phone manually- just slip the phone into the holder and the plug hole is built in to the mount with my own charging cable. Here’s a link to the mount I’m using. This one has a charger for a lighter install but I just use a short usb to lightning cable of my own in place of their cable: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/7...for-bare-phone

I’m trying to see if anyone else has this setup and what they think about it. The mount location is similar to my last car’s and it did cut into passenger legroom a touch but I don’t think that will be as big an issue with the extra room in the X5(previous car was a sedan).

Also considering the weather tech cup holder mount, don’t love the idea of using up a cup holder spot though. Also don’t like that I will have to manually plug and unplug the phone (which the pro clip mount solves) but that’s not too big of an issue. Also, for anyone using this, do you need the extension arm or would you suggest getting or not getting that? I’m thinking that could block the preset buttons.

Also not a fan of the vent mount or suction cup mounts.

Looking for anyone’s experience with any of these or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jg05; 01-30-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

I have the horizontal wireless charging and it's even worse than the vertical. There is a setting in the idrive menu to remind you that the phone is in the charger. It comes in handy.

Armando
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
I have the horizontal wireless charging and it's even worse than the vertical. There is a setting in the idrive menu to remind you that the phone is in the charger. It comes in handy.

Armando
Thanks. I saw that in another thread and will give that a shot for when I do use it. Hoping to minimize that though.

Just curious what you mean by it being worse. 8n what way is it worse?

Appreciate the response!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
Thanks. I saw that in another thread and will give that a shot for when I do use it. Hoping to minimize that though.

Just curious what you mean by it being worse. 8n what way is it worse?

Appreciate the response!
The wireless charger is located to far back into that little cubby hole and is hard to insert and retrieve the phone. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, big phone, big fingers, hard to remove. I don't really use it either cause it makes my phone heat up, and it charges intermittently. I wish the engineers would have designed the area by the shifter as a wireless charging point. That's where I usually put my phone.

Armando
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
The wireless charger is located to far back into that little cubby hole and is hard to insert and retrieve the phone. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, big phone, big fingers, hard to remove. I don't really use it either cause it makes my phone heat up, and it charges intermittently. I wish the engineers would have designed the area by the shifter as a wireless charging point. That's where I usually put my phone.

Armando
Yep, I have the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. Not as big but still a hassle to get on and off of the charging pad.

Have you come up with a phone mount that’s worked for you yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I have the iPhone 12 Pro and also do not use the wireless charging tray due to inconvenience. there are times I need to look at my phone with work-related apps that aren't accessible through CarPlay, so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q384RJZ...UTF8&psc=1

it's MagSafe compatible and triggers the MagSafe charging symbol, which I believe indicates the maximum charging rate of 15W. (I have the charger connected via USB C to a 30W PD 3.0 12V car adapter.) I use a bumper style case so the back is bare and attaches firmly to the magnets. I have not experienced fire brick temps, though I do not use Waze, which is a known contributor.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I have the iPhone 12 Pro and also do not use the wireless charging tray due to inconvenience. there are times I need to look at my phone with work-related apps that aren't accessible through CarPlay, so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q384RJZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

it's MagSafe compatible and triggers the MagSafe charging symbol, which I believe indicates the maximum charging rate of 15W. (I have the charger connected via USB C to a 30W PD 3.0 12V car adapter.) I use a bumper style case so the back is bare and attaches firmly to the magnets. I have not experienced fire brick temps, though I do not use Waze, which is a known contributor.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing! I have always tried to stay away from vent mounts. One reason - and my search turned up a thread showing this, I worry about breaking the vent fins. Someone posted it’s a $1,200 replacement cost. I also don’t like covering those vents since it affects the climate system, especially in the summer.

What has your experience been like with this unit so far?

Great idea on the PD lighter charger, didn’t even know they made those!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I switched to vent mounting because I didn't like taking up a cup holder. One does have to take care not to over tighten this particular mount. its design uses counter traction and distributes the weight of the charger/phone over three fins, which is more sturdy than my previous vent mount that clipped onto just one fin that took all of the weight.

overall, I'm pleased with it. it charges very quickly going from 50% to 80% in about 15 minutes without getting alarmingly warm.

I do not feel its placement on the vent hinders cabin temperature control. it's been in the 30°sF here, and my cabin temp is set at 69° with fan speed at lowest setting. I have the 45e, so I don't have a warmed up ICE to aid in reaching a warm temp inside. Just with electric battery alone and additional use of heated steering wheel + seat, i get comfortable within a minute. (This is subjective, understandably.)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-30-2021 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, there's an indicator light in the charging bay that identifies when your phone is in the sweet spot. If it's not, it will tend to heat up more. I find that light (it changes colors) a bit hard to see.

If you're always in an area that has good cellular coverage, you may never notice, but when your phone is properly inserted into the charging bay, it also has its antenna coupled to the one on the roof through an amplifier, which should help keep it cooler, since it will 'think' it's very close to a tower, and not try to operate in high power mode to maintain a signal. If it's in that mode, it may not be able to really charge, and will essentially just 'maintain' what it had, or in the worst case, slowly lose charge trying to maintain a signal.

And, yes, having the vehicle alert you that your phone is still in the tray when you open the door is handy!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I have the proclip. Blocks a bit of the passenger side buttons. You can still see and reach them fine just under the mount, but passengers should not touch my buttons anyways. seat warmer/ventalation control is not blocked for passenger. My phone is at the perfect angle and I don't need to fiddle with it on the charging pad. I do have a short 6" usb C cable that is perfect to reach from the socket to the phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
boneca2031.00