E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random thoughts from a newbie 330i owner

04-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Random thoughts from a newbie 330i owner

OK after shopping and lurking I just bought my first BMW. It’s an E90 330i Monaco Blue, Gray, Steptronic Premium Package, Nav, Heated Seats, Satellite Radio, Comfort Access. I picked it 2 weeks ago. Here are some random thoughts/admissions that I have and am posting for no real reason:
I never thought of myself as a BMW type person. After owning Honda/Acura/Toyota and driving the wife’s Lexus getting a German car is a big departure for me.
I’m 6’1/2” tall and the new Lexus IS and GS are too small headroom-wise for me.
I’m not a hardcore driving enthusiast like most people here. I just wanted something fun to drive.
I considered Infiniti but I just couldn’t
I like the lines of the 3 series better then the 5-series
I get confused often with all the E-XX numbering system
I think I got a solid deal at $800 over invoice
I checked order tracking on OC virtually every day
I like IDrive but it could be better with more flexibility
I worry about BMW reliability down the road as I tend to keep my cars for a long time, but not enuff to spend $3,200 on an extended warranty
After driving manual for 20+ years this is my first auto. Yes partially for the wife but I figured what the heck I’ll try it.
Getting a 330i over a 325i was a total indulgence on my part.
The navigation system is good but I think the Lexus one is easier to use and has more content.
I want to integrate my Ipod
I wish it had a back-up camera option
I like the look of the Monaco blue but I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten Ti Silver which is a bit more classic and easier to keep clean.
I let my dog ride in my new car. I have a seat protector but I still have pug hair everywhere.
I wish there was a bit more storage inside.
I sometimes go over 4000rpm even though I’m not to the 1200 miles break in benchmark
I have an infant seat in the back.
So far Satellite Radio is kinda fun but it’s not really a must have for me
I use the heated seats more for my sore back then for warmth cuz I’m cold.
…..After 2 weeks I’m totally enjoying this car.

Thanks all for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

lol those ARE some very random thoughts, but thank you sharing. Congrats on your car too ^^
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

congrat on the purchase and welcome to the board.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats13
I never thought of myself as a BMW type person.
I’m 6’1/2” tall and the new Lexus IS and GS are too small headroom-wise for me.
I like the lines of the 3 series better then the 5-series
I think I got a solid deal at $800 over invoice
I checked order tracking on OC virtually every day
I worry about BMW reliability down the road as I tend to keep my cars for a long time, but not enuff to spend $3,200 on an extended warranty
Getting a 330i over a 325i was a total indulgence on my part.
I want to integrate my Ipod
I wish there was a bit more storage inside.
I sometimes go over 4000rpm even though I’m not to the 1200 miles break in benchmark
I use the heated seats more for my sore back then for warmth cuz I’m cold.
…..After 2 weeks I’m totally enjoying this car.

Thanks all for now.
Congradulations!

These are the thoughts that I had too.

I have had mine now for 2 months and love it more every day.

I have 1,250 miles on it and now do most of my driving in DS.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Those thoughts are indeed random, but I can relate. I'll be purchasing a car sometime over the next months or year (no hurry), and it probably will be a 330i even though I have been a Toyota and Honda guy for a long time. I am not getting it to drag race but as a daily driver. Although I'll need to be able -- at least in theory -- to fit a toddler and a baby in the back seat, I want a small car. We're getting a minivan for the kids and the mountains of gear associated with them.

In any event, it sounds like you're coming from a similar viewpoint, so I'd like to hear what you think about the reliability and driving feel as you get more used to the car. As I said, I'm in no hurry to buy, so I intend to have some fun testing the usual contenders in the $35-45K sports sedan group.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I am on order for almost the identical car you got, but no heated seats. Mine is Titanium Silver.

Two questions:

Looks like you did NOT get the Sports Pkg. I did not get it either. How is the ride? Is it harsh? Bumpy? I'm really afraid of the run flat tires and how hard the ride will be.

Also, are you enjoying the comfort access?

Thanks and congratulations. I have a month to wait for mine.

Larry in Sherman Oaks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
unxdawg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

After driving a manual for so long, how do you like the BMW Steptronic? I am a longtime manual driver planning to make the switch soon, too.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryK1000
I am on order for almost the identical car you got, but no heated seats. Mine is Titanium Silver.

Two questions:

Looks like you did NOT get the Sports Pkg. I did not get it either. How is the ride? Is it harsh? Bumpy? I'm really afraid of the run flat tires and how hard the ride will be.

Also, are you enjoying the comfort access?

Thanks and congratulations. I have a month to wait for mine.

Larry in Sherman Oaks
I didn't get the sport package for 2 reasons. I didn't like the sports seats all that much. I may be in the minority, but I didn't find the wrapping feel of the sports seat comfortable vs. the premium seat. Also since my car is my daily LA freeway commuter I figured the non-sport would ride smoother. I know the SPD would be a better performance ride but coming out of a 96 accord I decided I would have enough fun as is. I find the ride nice and smooth for the most part. I did notice the other nite that I do feel the little freeway bumps pretty good but nothing earth shattering far from harsh IMO.

Comfort Access: I like it overall. Getting in is great although I did change my setting to unlock ALL door because I could figure out a way to open the passenger door quickly otherwise. At first I just had the driver door open but I had to get in sit down and then open the passenger side while my friend waited outside. Still getting used to locking the door efficiently. The trunck opens a tad slow for my likeing. OVERALL:
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
Those thoughts are indeed random, but I can relate. I'll be purchasing a car sometime over the next months or year (no hurry), and it probably will be a 330i even though I have been a Toyota and Honda guy for a long time. I am not getting it to drag race but as a daily driver. Although I'll need to be able -- at least in theory -- to fit a toddler and a baby in the back seat, I want a small car. We're getting a minivan for the kids and the mountains of gear associated with them.

In any event, it sounds like you're coming from a similar viewpoint, so I'd like to hear what you think about the reliability and driving feel as you get more used to the car. As I said, I'm in no hurry to buy, so I intend to have some fun testing the usual contenders in the $35-45K sports sedan group.
Yeah seems like we coming from the same place. My wife drive and SUV and we have a new bably so I figured this is maybe my last shot at small car.

Have fun with you test drives. I drove and shopped a ton. Drove my wife NUTS. I considered: Infiniti: M35 (never liked interior of G35), BMW 3 & 5, Lexus: IS & GS, Acura: RL & TL and Audi: A4/A6. That doesn't include brief glances at Passat and Honda Accord Hybrid.

For once in my life I didn't go the safe, smart, practical route IMO (which would have been the TL) and I splurged and got the E90. No regrets so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I wish it had a back-up camera option
Good news for yo is you can!

The reversing camera is a non factory option that should be available from your dealer. The small downside is the display screen uses one of the central dash air outlet spaces. But you get a real image displayed.

I don't know the cost.

Enjoy your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

best of luck with it
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
The trunck opens a tad slow for my likeing. OVERALL:
Excellent observation about the CA and opening the trunk. It's my 1-gripe with CA. A few times, I just decided to dig the fob out and use the remote.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah seems like we coming from the same place. My wife drive and SUV and we have a new bably so I figured this is maybe my last shot at small car.

Have fun with you test drives. I drove and shopped a ton. Drove my wife NUTS. I considered: Infiniti: M35 (never liked interior of G35), BMW 3 & 5, Lexus: IS & GS, Acura: RL & TL and Audi: A4/A6. That doesn't include brief glances at Passat and Honda Accord Hybrid.

For once in my life I didn't go the safe, smart, practical route IMO (which would have been the TL) and I splurged and got the E90. No regrets so far.
I knew I didn't wrote this - but you....
How??? How you can read my mind and go thru the same list of cars??? How?
I just have the same opinion about Infinity
I was for 4 years drooling on TL.
And at the end - order 330i.
      04-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
md37793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
It's my 1-gripe with CA. A few times, I just decided to dig the fob out and use the remote.
Oh!!! The Horror!!!!
Appreciate 0