BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Joining the club soon, quick question..

02-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
Trilogy_M
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Joining the club soon, quick question..

Are the front fenders on an m5 wider/more flared than a 540i or M550i? I know the rears aren’t flared like on an m3, but in some photos the m5 front fenders look like they are a little wider and that is what helps make it look more aggressive? Or am I just convincing my self of that? Ha.

I was guessing someone on here would know. My 2021 M5C is at the port waiting to ship. I can’t wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

The M5 is 74.9 inches wide vs 73.5 inches wide for the 530i. I assume the 530i, 540i and M550i have the same dimensions. The M5 is also slightly longer, 0.6 inches.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Yes M5 has wider front fenders, that are only unique to M5. The rear end is standard like a 530 would have for example.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy_M View Post
Are the front fenders on an m5 wider/more flared than a 540i or M550i? I know the rears aren’t flared like on an m3, but in some photos the m5 front fenders look like they are a little wider and that is what helps make it look more aggressive? Or am I just convincing my self of that? Ha.

I was guessing someone on here would know. My 2021 M5C is at the port waiting to ship. I can’t wait!
Great question and great answers from others. Learned something new today.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

You can tell just by looking at it sitting there that it doesn’t look like a “regular” 5-series, but if you don’t know why, you probably won’t be able to put your finger on why. It just looks more “muscular”, but in a very subtle way. Of course it has the side “vents”, but the flared front wheel arches also aids in this. It is a Miami Beach nightclub bouncer in a suit and tie.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
I think getting some spacers ~15mm all around will help sort out the rear, and of course you need the carbon pro spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
Trilogy_M
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
I think getting some spacers ~15mm all around will help sort out the rear, and of course you need the carbon pro spoiler.
Can I put spacers on a lease? Never used spacers before. Does it change anything about the driving dynamics or is it bad for the car in any way? I do think it looks good with spacers any time I see a photo on here of a car that has them.

I did get the pro spoiler, carbon side vents, and carbon diffuser. It’s alpine white with full black leather, black 706M wheels. I can’t wait to get it. But I am in Chicago so I might have to put on the winter wheel and tire set up (705M 19s) if it comes in March. If it comes late March or April, then maybe I can keep the summer set up on depending on the current temps at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Can I put spacers on a lease? Never used spacers before. Does it change anything about the driving dynamics or is it bad for the car in any way? I do think it looks good with spacers any time I see a photo on here of a car that has them.

I did get the pro spoiler, carbon side vents, and carbon diffuser. It’s alpine white with full black leather, black 706M wheels. I can’t wait to get it. But I am in Chicago so I might have to put on the winter wheel and tire set up (705M 19s) if it comes in March. If it comes late March or April, then maybe I can keep the summer set up on depending on the current temps at the time.
Spacers are a bolt on part so yea you can take it off anytime. If you buy the spacers (like from Future Classic) that's specifically made for F90 etc. it's not going to harm the car. Handling wise there's actually an increase in handling with spacers cause you're pushing out the track ever so slightly but it's such a small thing the handling gains are negligible. It's just for the looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
CharlieBronsonF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5

Quote:
Quote:

I did get the pro spoiler, carbon side vents, and carbon diffuser. It's alpine white with full black leather, black 706M wheels. I can't wait to get it. But I am in Chicago so I might have to put on the winter wheel and tire set up (705M 19s) if it comes in March. If it comes late March or April, then maybe I can keep the summer set up on depending on the current temps at the time.
Spacers are a bolt on part so yea you can take it off anytime. If you buy the spacers (like from Future Classic) that's specifically made for F90 etc. it's not going to harm the car. Handling wise there's actually an increase in handling with spacers cause you're pushing out the track ever so slightly but it's such a small thing the handling gains are negligible. It's just for the looks.
Wow, that's good info to know. Just got my 21 a few days ago. I'm also leasing and thought spacers were out of that question. Got the side skirts and m performance pro deck lid spoiler. Thanks for clarifying. By chance do you have a link to the spacers?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

future classic has spacers. expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBronsonF90 View Post
Wow, that's good info to know. Just got my 21 a few days ago. I'm also leasing and thought spacers were out of that question. Got the side skirts and m performance pro deck lid spoiler. Thanks for clarifying. By chance do you have a link to the spacers?
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...eel-spacer-kit

Get the 15mms (2 kits for both front and rear). IMO they give the F90's rear enough thiccness and perfects the stance without going overboard on the spacer thickness.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:43 PM   #12
CharlieBronsonF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5

Quote:
Quote:

Get the 15mms (2 kits for both front and rear). IMO they give the F90's rear enough thiccness and perfects the stance without going overboard on the spacer thickness.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info and link!
Appreciate 0