E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What to do Next 335 CAM replaced

10-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
wizzard
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

What to do Next 335 CAM replaced

So 1 month ago my check engine light comes on in my 335i (30K KM on it)and it goes into limp mode, Every time the car hit WOT the check engine light would come on. So I brought it to the dealer and they changed my VANOS sensors. The next day I’m driving to the office and guess what the check engine light comes on and goes into limp mode, (so much for testing their work).

I bring the car back to the dealer and they call me telling me my intake CAM is cracked (hairline crack) they need to order it from germany. Now that my head been taken off the car I’m worried which qualified idiot is working on the car. 1 week later I get back the car and every time it hits WOT the smells of burning OIL. I am sure they did a horrible replacement job and with the plastic cover under the car I can’t really tell if its leaking oil or what is happening.

I don’t know what to do next, bring it into the dealer so than can keep taking the car apart or should I contact someone at BMW Canada???

Thanks….
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Try bringing it to another dealer and explain what happened and have them check it out. Burning oil is not good, obviously. Is smoke coming out of your exhaust pipes when you are at WOT? Also, do you know how the crack developed?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
See if your crankcase is building pressure. Startup the car and let it run for 15 seconds or so and then loosen the oil cap and see if there's a release of pressure, like opening a bottle of soda. There shouldn't be. It's a shot in the dark, but that happened on my '95 Volvo 850 recently. The PCV valve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve) was totally gummed up and pressure was building in the crankcase and pressurized oil and air and other stuff started blowing out of my oil cap, all over the engine, and of course then started burning.

Like I say, shot in the dark, but it's a 20 second experiment.

If you take it back to the dealer yet again they really should fix it for you on their dime, or loonie

If they're gonna try to charge you or fail to fix it yet again, I'd say screw them and go somewhere else.
      10-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

To the OP....I also had a bad Cam Shaft as well, and when I first got the car back, I also smelled a bit of "burning oil" smell at WOT, I think it might either be some burn off from spilled oil, but after about a week it went away.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

There definitely will be some oil spillage when they replace the cam and it gets places you can't clean up - give it some time and it will burn off and go away - if it doesn't then time to go back!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Cams can crack in some cases if the person putting them in does not tighten the cam caps down in a even sequence. This can cause the cam to put under alot of presure on the end that has been fastend down as the the other end may still have the presure of the valve springs and cam followers pressing upwards on it. Proper installation in many motors requires that cam caps be tightend a little bit at at time and again, evenly so that the forces of the valve springs pressing back against the cam are as evenly distributed accros the cam until the cam is fully seated on its bearing surfaces in the top of the cyclinder head.

Not sure this would be the case here - but it is one common cause of cam crackage...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
samurai1200
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: An 81 Honda! How dare you!

I dont know about Canada, but in the US there are lemon laws that protect consumers against defective autos (and other stuff, like watercraft). It differs by state, but in general, if your dealer (or "the manufacturer") has made multiple attempts at repair and have failed, you are entitled to replacement or cash compensation.

Even though it is pages upon pages long (at least for california), it's still very ambiguously written. Generally a lawyer needs to get involved. This may/may not be worth it if your car is still under warranty.

Anywho... i lost my train of thought. it's late.
Appreciate 0