BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

non-BMW wheels/tires/TPS under warranty

I opted out of my OEM 22" wheels on my X5 M50i and replaced them with a 20" BMW winter tire package which worked great this winter and I am ready to swap back for the summer.

I am considering 20" All Season options w Black wheels and generic TPS sensors from Tire Rack.

Does anyone have experience with using non-BMW wheels/tires or TPS and getting warranty coverage on the rest of the car?

My dealer is suggesting there could be a problem.

Thanks.

GW
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Will not affect your warranty for the rest of the car in any way so long as you stick to OEM sizing for your 20" set.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If a non-OEM TPMS were to fail, you'd have to pay for it, but the receiver, etc. should be covered if there was a problem there.

One thing to keep in mind on aftermarket wheels and tires is the load rating, especially if you plan to tow something. The batteries in the TPMS don't last forever and they are in a low power standby mode unless they detect the vehicle is moving, but you don't know necessarily how old the ones you might pick up...IOW, newer stock in a place that does a lot of volume is more likely to be a good bet. Then again, if you lease, and replace your car in 2-3 years, it is unlikely to matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

These are just for the summer months. It is a 30 mo lease up in Spring of 2023 so I will probably only drive 10K miles on the Tire Rack solution.

Sounds like I should be fine.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I've never heard of any warranty issues on the car with aftermarket wheels or tires ... unless something was grossly incompetent or negligent like over/under/inconsistent lug torque or grossly out-of-spec offset. There could be an argument for differential warranty issues if the front and rear rotating circumferences are not consistent with stock as well. Do it right or use a competent shop you trust and there will never be any warranty issue with aftermarket rims or tires. And cultivate a different dealer if yours is threatening you with such ...
      04-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW only warrants BMW OEM parts. Using a non-OEM part, if it fails, you own it, and might need to pay both the labor to replace it but also the replacement part. When that part is a component of a system, if something ELSE in the system fails, and it is not attributable to the non-OEM part, it should be covered by warranty without issue. So, if say like in the OP's question, if the aftermarket TPMS failed, you'd have to pay the labor to replace it and for a new part. If something else in the TPMS system failed (like the receiver), and the part still was working, the whole thing should be covered under warranty.

Depending on how much you drive, a TPMS sensor can last anywhere from a few years on an extremely high mileage vehicle, to maybe close to a decade on a seldom used one...it has a VERY small battery drain except when the wheel is rotating, and even then, it's not very high, only broadcasting about once every 30-seconds. On a recently sold BMW that was close to 10-years old, but low mileage, one set (an aftermarket one from TireRack) did need to be replaced, but the OEM ones were still good. The winter tire set and summer set got about the same number of miles, but it was the winter tire's set that eventually died.
Appreciate 0