E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Bought Wheels from the States---- Got taxed!

10-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
VIP75344
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Exclamation Bought Wheels from the States---- Got taxed!

Hello, guys.
I got my wheels from supremepower about 1 month ago!
Everything was great till today..... I got a mail from Fedex.... wheels are taxed....$450 dollars!

Do we always get taxed if buying wheels from the states?
Does anyone have any experience like this?

Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

usually it does get broker fee from carrier company if you purchased something from the state, but the amount of the fee is unpredictable, so usually i pick up item from point roberts, WA myself to avoid huge amount of broker fees!!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP75344 View Post
Hello, guys.
Everything was great till today..... I got a mail from Fedex.... wheels are taxed....$450 dollars!

Thanks-
maybe u didnt know
everything we buy us ,,,,we have to paid 12% tax plus duties
and if u let fedex broker to clear the custom for u
there will be a huge fine....charge u
for example
i bought a cell phone from us
120 usd....u will get charge 12%, and brokage
the brokeage fee is around 50$ for 120 item
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

ouch, that sucks man!

next time tell the vendor to ship to UPS warehouse in bellingham and drive down, and then drive the wheels across the border yourself, all you have to pay is GST+PST = 12%, no brokerage

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

or ship to points roberts, and pick up there yourself and go through custom, last time the custom taxed me $82CAD onlyfor my wheels!!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

i heard you can just ignore the letter from fedex? maybe not true, but i read somwhere that if u keep ignoring, they will just stop sending the letter for u to pay them haha
      10-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

seller could declare lower value of the item.
broker fee is only around $40-50 from what I know.. no matter what it is....
tax and duties would probably be around 20%.......

did you buy tire package wheels around $2000 ?????
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

bout advan RS wheels from supreme power for my M3... value was $2500USD... told them to declare $800 instead... shouldnt declare too low otherwise they will tax you on the book value of the wheels.... got taxed a month after pick up by fed ex just like you did... paid just CAN$170 for brokerage and tax.

oh and you cant just ignore the letter... i tried it with UPS before and they sent me a lawyers letter... i didnt feel like going to small claims court over $100 so i paid it in the end... i had to pay a "fine" too... think it was $20 or something.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Welcome to Canada
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

If the seller declares a lower value and the product is damaged they are screwed. On something that's $100 I can understand putting $25. But on wheels that are probably $3500+, if I was SPP, I'd put the full value too.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
i ignored a ups brokerage fee notice, 5 years later and still nothing
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP75344 View Post
Hello, guys.

Thanks-
I bought wheels from US and I did my own Custom clearance. If the Product is made in a NAFTA country you need to pay GST + PST (Where applicable).

If the Courier company does the Customs for you then they will charge you Duty + Tax+ Brokerage.
I wouldn't declare a lower value on Wheels.
If the way bill doesn't say that the Customs will be done by the Receiver it is a standard practice for the courier companies to do the clearance. However you may be able to call Fedex and see whether they are willing to do any thing on this. Bottom line is you have to pay the taxes when you bring goods to the country. I am sure Fedex is going at least hold you for that.

I am sure on a $450 invoice they will be taking what ever the action they need to do to collect that amount. So If I were you I will call them and try to come to an agreement.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectg View Post
Did you notice any comments on you credit report coming from UPS?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectg View Post
Really? I can't imagine there would be no consequences..

I didn't pay my fedex fees for a few months and they were pretty persistent with letters.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Magimac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 335i sedan  [0.00]
risky business

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkSc View Post
or ship to points roberts, and pick up there yourself and go through custom, last time the custom taxed me $82CAD onlyfor my wheels!!
If you undervalue or don't declare your new wheels, and you're caught, then you play duties, taxes, and a hefty fine. If you attempt to smuggle them in by having them mounted and installed on your car, then Customs CAN AND WILL SEIZE YOUR CAR. I don't think it is worth the risk -- those of us that can afford a BMW should also be able to pay our taxes...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Really? I can't imagine there would be no consequences..

I didn't pay my fedex fees for a few months and they were pretty persistent with letters.

i've worked in the custom brokerage department once and i think they have the right to sue you because it's Canadian governament's money... but again fedex wont sue someone for a few hundred dollars lol

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magimac View Post
If you undervalue or don't declare your new wheels, and you're caught, then you play duties, taxes, and a hefty fine. If you attempt to smuggle them in by having them mounted and installed on your car, then Customs CAN AND WILL SEIZE YOUR CAR. I don't think it is worth the risk -- those of us that can afford a BMW should also be able to pay our taxes...
i did declare the exact value of my wheels, i didnt lie anything to them!!i just didn't want to pay broker fees to carrier company, so i decided to pick up at point roberts, i never told anyone to lie or declare undervalue!!

also it's not about if we can afford a BMW, then we should be no problem for taxes, taxes are really high right now, and we just try to avoid a huge amount of taxes sometimes to save some money, for example, if you buy something which costs $100, but if you pick up yourself instead of shipping will save you $50, and which you live so close to the place that for pick up, would you do it??or you will just sit here and pay $100 + shipping???

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
///M3Lover
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04WhiteM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkSc View Post
i did declare the exact value of my wheels, i didnt lie anything to them!!i just didn't want to pay broker fees to carrier company, so i decided to pick up at point roberts, i never told anyone to lie or declare undervalue!!

also it's not about if we can afford a BMW, then we should be no problem for taxes, taxes are really high right now, and we just try to avoid a huge amount of taxes sometimes to save some money, for example, if you buy something which costs $100, but if you pick up yourself instead of shipping will save you $50, and which you live so close to the place that for pick up, would you do it??or you will just sit here and pay $100 + shipping???
well tax has been lowered for the past years, but the exchange is getting terrible by the second.

Usually, I just clear the exhausts and rims myself. Other small things like angel eyes, grills, just tell the seller to send to you directly even if UPS or fedex would charge $30 or $40. save the hassle going through traffic and custom to import small accessories. For big things, it's definitely worth it! UPS once charged my friend $486 for his Eismann Exhaust which was delivered to BJBMW. This is when the dollar was 1:1 !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
shimajer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I will just ignore it. Basically UPS don't have your personal information except for your address and name. I have received letters from fedex and ups before. I didn't mean to not pay for them but I simply forgot and moved to another location. They couldn't get a hold of me so I didn't receive any more letters from them. But of course I was to receive additional letters now, I would definitely pay for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Lover View Post
well tax has been lowered for the past years, but the exchange is getting terrible by the second.

Usually, I just clear the exhausts and rims myself. Other small things like angel eyes, grills, just tell the seller to send to you directly even if UPS or fedex would charge $30 or $40. save the hassle going through traffic and custom to import small accessories. For big things, it's definitely worth it! UPS once charged my friend $486 for his Eismann Exhaust which was delivered to BJBMW. This is when the dollar was 1:1 !!!

yeah i agree what you said!!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #21
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

A friend of mine once tried to "work the system" a few years ago... quite an interesting story too though...

He bought some really nice wheels from ebay with tires mounted.

He drove down to the warehouse location to pick them up in his car (the wheels were intended for his car too). What happened was he placed his stock rims and tires in the trunk and mounted the new wheels on himself. Drove around all day and got to the border eventually.

They questioned him if he had anything to declare. He said no.

They asked him what he did in the states for less than 24 hours. He said he attended some track event (to give justification for the wheels in the trunk).

They asked him if he had bought the wheels that were mounted on his car. He said he had, but a "long time ago" lol...

They pulled him inside the warehouse and asked him again if the wheels mounted were bought today. At this point he cracked and admitted it. Some other guy comes storming through the warehouse with a print-out of his EBAY AUCTION with the exact same wheels for sale that he had mounted.

He got off lucky in the sense he didn't pay any fines (except for taxes), but he did get blacklisted at the border for the next 5 years or something lol...

Slightly less then a year after this incident I went to the states to cruise around and do some shopping. My friend drove. When he handed the canadian border his drivers license, they gave him a white paper with some code on it lol... the whole car was searched immediately lolol... so yeah... don't fuck with the border patrol.
      10-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodAddict View Post
A friend of mine once tried to "work the system" a few years ago... quite an interesting story too though...

He bought some really nice wheels from ebay with tires mounted.

He drove down to the warehouse location to pick them up in his car (the wheels were intended for his car too). What happened was he placed his stock rims and tires in the trunk and mounted the new wheels on himself. Drove around all day and got to the border eventually.

They questioned him if he had anything to declare. He said no.

They asked him what he did in the states for less than 24 hours. He said he attended some track event (to give justification for the wheels in the trunk).

They asked him if he had bought the wheels that were mounted on his car. He said he had, but a "long time ago" lol...

They pulled him inside the warehouse and asked him again if the wheels mounted were bought today. At this point he cracked and admitted it. Some other guy comes storming through the warehouse with a print-out of his EBAY AUCTION with the exact same wheels for sale that he had mounted.

He got off lucky in the sense he didn't pay any fines (except for taxes), but he did get blacklisted at the border for the next 5 years or something lol...

Slightly less then a year after this incident I went to the states to cruise around and do some shopping. My friend drove. When he handed the canadian border his drivers license, they gave him a white paper with some code on it lol... the whole car was searched immediately lolol... so yeah... don't fuck with the border patrol.
that's why i m trying to tell people to declare the exact value instead of undervalue!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0