BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Cross shopping X7 and Model X

04-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cross shopping X7 and Model X

Anyone else? Assume most here chose the X7. I live in New England where Superchargers are fairly dense, rarely (if ever) travel more than 200 miles in a day. Have three kids and like entry and egress of the X, the frunk and the trunk 'bin'.

Advantages of the X7 is potentially safer in an accident, less expensive (M50i vs. Long Range 6 seater), can mount roof box/ski rack.

I am leaning Model X, but curious if anyone came from a Model X or cross shopped.

(Am already a Tesla owner, so not looking for feedback on Tesla's in general, just the X).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #2
RAJENT
Raj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' X3, 21' X7, Tesla Mdl S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Anyone else? Assume most here chose the X7. I live in New England where Superchargers are fairly dense, rarely (if ever) travel more than 200 miles in a day. Have three kids and like entry and egress of the X, the frunk and the trunk 'bin'.

Advantages of the X7 is potentially safer in an accident, less expensive (M50i vs. Long Range 6 seater), can mount roof box/ski rack.

I am leaning Model X, but curious if anyone came from a Model X or cross shopped.

(Am already a Tesla owner, so not looking for feedback on Tesla's in general, just the X).
I lease a Model S and looked at getting the refreshed X. The falcon wing doors have too many issues and its not nearly as luxurious as the X7, given the price point. I placed an order for the X the day the refresh was announced and was getting annoyed with delays (with no end in sight as of today) and eventually canceled it two weeks ago. I am still waiting on my X7 and i am glad I did not order Model X. I have owned several BMW's and you can never go wrong with them. Personally for me, comparing the X7, Model X is not nearly worth at that price point. Also, living in the east coast, efficiency drops by 50% on cold days.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
RAJENT
Raj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' X3, 21' X7, Tesla Mdl S

Quote:

Advantages of the X are more storage space (trunk, trunk lower compartment and the frunk) and potentially safer than the X7 as it will have less roll over risk due to the heavy battery pack and low center of gravity
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [10.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'd rather roll in x7 then burn to death when the batteries catch on fire.
M3JHWK75.50
      04-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I seriously considered the X P100D (Tesla loaned one to me for a few days) but went with an M50i. Both have refined driving experiences, but the X7 just felt rawer when I put it in sport/+ and threw it around a bit, whereas the X was insanely quick, but I felt like a passenger on an amusement park ride, passively riding along. I give interior quality and finish to the X7, but the tech experience goes to the X as we all know (and the X7 is not a luddite).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I tried to, but I just can't care at all about the mileage of my x7 vs an electric car. The build quality consistency of Teslas in general, including the model X, is a massive turnoff. The comparative "luxury" between them is laughable.

the model x's value adds are:
- fully electric
- semi-autonomous driving

The problem there is, these aren't universal value-adds and for the price tag I just can't see bothering to be inside it. The model x is best enjoyed as a friend of the owner. Roll the dice, though. I'm sure it'll be fine.

btw, that slight ripping noise is the disturbingly large amount of double-lock holding the car together
      04-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #7
raystatus
BLVK Unicorn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C | AW

I actually have both an X7 50i and also a Model X 90D.

My wife drives the Model X and I drive the X7 as our daily and I usually try to drive the X7 instead of the X on the weekends.

My Opinion...

X7 // More Space! - More Usable Cupholders - Quieter - Feels better overall in terms of material/luxury - Assisted Cruise Control and regular distance Cruise Control is very similar to the auto-pilot on the Tesla in terms of feel. I have full autopilot on my Tesla, but I hardly use it and it behaves funny sometimes so I mainly use the regular autopilot which is similar to the distance cruise control on the X7** EATS GAS THOUGH

Model X // Falcon Door and ease of use of the ingress/degress for kids is much better than the X7. Wife complains about how hard it is to get kids in and out when in a tight parking space compared to the X or like a Mini-Van - Model X is much quicker and feels like a sports car on the road as compared to the X7 which feels heavier. Infotainment better on Tesla (netflix etc for the kids when they have to wait in the car). - Ability to keep AC on / preheat-cool the vehicle with the app. Tesla App functions much better than the laggy BMW app.

The Winner: Obviously I am biased, but I would take the X7 over the Model X anyday.. It just feels more well rounded and the material is really that much better. Model X starts to have weird creaks/sounds after owning it for 3 years and X7 still sounds as quiet as it was when it left the dealer lot 2 years ago.

If you have kids that are young and require dropping them off to school or you go to places where you often need to open the door for them or close it from the comfort of the driver seat, then the Model X is much better for that as it operates similar to most minivans but with much more swagger.

Hope this helps OP!
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #8
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

I'd say the Model X is a dime a dozen but I'd be lying....they are a dime per 3 dozen.

They look like absolute shit, too, I'm sorry.

Don't mind the other Tesla models but the Model X....
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
jasheaer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystatus View Post

My wife drives the Model X and I drive the X7 as our daily and I usually try to drive the X7 instead of the X on the weekends.

My Opinion...

X7 // More Space! - More Usable Cupholders - Quieter - Feels better overall in terms of material/luxury - Assisted Cruise Control and regular distance Cruise Control is very similar to the auto-pilot on the Tesla in terms of feel. I have full autopilot on my Tesla, but I hardly use it and it behaves funny sometimes so I mainly use the regular autopilot which is similar to the distance cruise control on the X7** EATS GAS THOUGH

Model X // Falcon Door and ease of use of the ingress/degress for kids is much better than the X7. Wife complains about how hard it is to get kids in and out when in a tight parking space compared to the X or like a Mini-Van - Model X is much quicker and feels like a sports car on the road as compared to the X7 which feels heavier. Infotainment better on Tesla (netflix etc for the kids when they have to wait in the car). - Ability to keep AC on / preheat-cool the vehicle with the app. Tesla App functions much better than the laggy BMW app.

The Winner: Obviously I am biased, but I would take the X7 over the Model X anyday.. It just feels more well rounded and the material is really that much better. Model X starts to have weird creaks/sounds after owning it for 3 years and X7 still sounds as quiet as it was when it left the dealer lot 2 years ago.

If you have kids that are young and require dropping them off to school or you go to places where you often need to open the door for them or close it from the comfort of the driver seat, then the Model X is much better for that as it operates similar to most minivans but with much more swagger.

Hope this helps OP!
Here is the answer you need...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My Opinion...

Hope this helps OP!
Thank you - and thanks all.

Anyone running captains chairs in the X7. Seems like the only access to the third row is by tilting the captains chairs. If that's right, bit of a deal breaker with three+ car seats. Anyone similarly situated?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #11
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My Opinion...

Hope this helps OP!
Thank you - and thanks all.

Anyone running captains chairs in the X7. Seems like the only access to the third row is by tilting the captains chairs. If that's right, bit of a deal breaker with three+ car seats. Anyone similarly situated?
I have captain seats and 3 car seats as well. 2 car seats on the captain chairs and one in back. I removed the interior arm rests on the captain chairs and passage to the third row is now a cinch.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #12
TAG Prez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC / 2023 Alpina XB7

Keep in mind if you order the captain chairs they don't fold and the actual cargo space is severely limited for the rare occasion you need to move something longer than a set of golf clubs
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
DynamicLA
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz GLS 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
I have captain seats and 3 car seats as well. 2 car seats on the captain chairs and one in back. I removed the interior arm rests on the captain chairs and passage to the third row is now a cinch.
We have captain’s chairs and three car seats. We have two car seats in the third row and one in the passenger side captain’s chair. We do mostly tilt the captain’s chair forward (the one without the car seat) to access the third row. The kids can access the third row by climbing between the captain’s chairs but the only way to cinch their seat belts is to tilt the driver side captain’s chair forward and lean in.

It’s not that hard, and leaves a captain’s chair open for non-kids.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #14
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

The Model X is a rocket and the tech is intuitive. The pros stop there for me and I have owned 2 Model Xs (2018 and 2020). The 2018 was taken back by Tesla after the car left me stranded three times due to Falcon Wing staying open. The 2020 is a little better, but still some serious issues remain and I am just too tired of dealing with Tesla on them.

The X7 is plush and not as quick as the MX. Infotainment is behind, but not by a wide margin. The X7 is the car I choose between these two cars wherever I go. The MX is used for commute basis and that's it.
      05-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #15
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

The X7 and x is not the same class of vehicle. I've tried to buy the model S, X, 3 at different times during their launch and even put a deposit down and could never pull myself together to sign the dotted line when sitting inside each of them. so was my wife.

Seats were not comfortable, cabin feels naked. Nothing about them scream luxurious. We visit BMW at CES to look at the X7 when they were demoing the X7 in Vegas and we were sold that day.

Oh and did I ever mentioned I hate tesla drivers especially those doing 65 on autopilot in the HOV lane during traffic hours? If you end up with one, don't be that guy.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
The X7 and x is not the same class of vehicle. I've tried to buy the model S, X, 3 at different times during their launch and even put a deposit down and could never pull myself together to sign the dotted line when sitting inside each of them. so was my wife.

Seats were not comfortable, cabin feels naked. Nothing about them scream luxurious. We visit BMW at CES to look at the X7 when they were demoing the X7 in Vegas and we were sold that day.

Oh and did I ever mentioned I hate tesla drivers especially those doing 65 on autopilot in the HOV lane during traffic hours? If you end up with one, don't be that guy.
I've owned a Model X, 2018 Range Rover Supercharged and F85 X5M. I'm sure the X7 is an excellent vehicle, but I value different luxuries in the Tesla than I did either the Range or the X5M. Simple things, like the ability to remotely activate HVAC or defrost the car, reliably, without affirming six disclaimers... FSD was considerably better than either (and X7 might be better) than either cars adaptive cruise... I didn't need to carry a key... I found the seats the best of the three... falcon wind doors were massively easy with kids. Having said that, production was (and maybe is) hit or miss on Tesla's. Getting one without any sort of QC issue (mostly minor) is rare. Our Model X was fine, but they've been making them for a while. Earlier years were troubling.

With respect for my need for three rows, I went to the dealership this weekend to look at the X7 and as a few folks mentioned access to the third row with very little kids (I will have 3 under 4, third arriving end of June), is difficult, not impossible, but easier if you have one that's in a booster.

I am leaning Tesla given some of the updates to the new X, but deliveries are slipping into the Fall. So it may end up being X7!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #17
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

My wife and I decided our next vehicle will be an EV. We've looked at the Model S and X but coming from several Mercedes SUV's and our current X7 50i, we just can't look past the 'naked cabins' (perfect description) of the Tesla's. We are interested in test driving the new Mercedes EQS this fall but are not interested in going back to a sedan. Mercedes is working on a EQS-SUV to be unveiled later this year or early next year as 2023 model. That could be the sweet spot for us, a full-size SUV/EV with a proper german interior. You can see in the these spy photos that it sits about a foot taller than the several EQS's sitting beside it and note the new Hyperscreen. Tesla needs to up their interior game to keep up with this tech.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0