E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Pump or Something Else

10-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Fuel Pump or Something Else

I've read a tone of the fuel pump issues even from the beginning of the problem and was wondering if I'm having the same issue.

I don't have any issues with car going into limp mode. This may be because I haven't been pushing the car in a while since it's really cold and tires don't stick.

My issue is that every morning especially those mornings after the night before I pushed the car into maybe 6K RPM a few times. The car has a problem starting, sometimes I press the start button, hear it crank crank but no go. Then I stop it and press start again to get it to start up.

** Important **: After I start it for the first time, I have no issues starting it after that for the rest of the day as long as the car hasn't been off for lets say 6 or so hours.

To those that have had bad fuel pumps, did you also only have problems during the morning starts?

Thanks,

Ado
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

lol I know many don't care about the issue anymore since it's been beat to the death after we've had so many issues with the fuel pumps.

If any of those who have had fuel pump issues could at the very least comment on weather you had the start up issue all the time or just the first time in the mornings or after your car has been off for a while.

Thanks,

Ado
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Im curious to hear myself, I also have been experiencing problems when I start my car, fortunately mine starts everytime, but i have noticed that at some starts if I have not started it for 4 hours or more the initial rev only hits 4 to 500. When other times its shoots up to around 1200-1500. Oh yah and now my Average gallons per Mile is stuck on 99.9 as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

A long start in the morning is the fuel pump failing to develop enough pressure. Once you have it started, the fuel system remains pressurized most of the day (the 6 hours you mentioned). If you leave it long enough, the pressure bleeds off and you experience the long crank again in the AM.

Everything I have read here indicates that the long crank is one of the first symtoms. The dealer can run a test and confirm the HPFP. There's a post of the SIB for the HPFP someplace on the forum. Keep in mind too that people have had the dealer run the test which passes, then had their HPFP fail a week later. The problem is that the failing pump performed adequately in the test to pass, but was still on the way out and failed several days later. So don't think that if your passes, that you're necessarily safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info bud.

Ado
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
elegant
Love To Drive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 M Sport E 92; '06 Z06

Yes, hard starting is most often directly related to the HPFP. Please see related post today entitled April 08 FP (fuel pump).

Once my pump was replaced, starting is again instanteous, even after I was out of town for five days.
Appreciate 0