E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Problem with front lights - DRL/Angel Eyes/Halo Rings/Indicator

05-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #1
ksin87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 E90 316D 2.0L

Problem with front lights - DRL/Angel Eyes/Halo Rings/Indicator

Hi everyone!

I drive a BMW 316D 2010 (E90) model in UK.

A few years back I stupidly purchased some brighter whiter 'xenon effect' halogen headlight bulbs, but after fitting them, they both burned out along with the bulb housing/holders after a few months. I got a warning light in my dash board. The local garage repaired them by simply replacing the burnt out parts and attaching new wiring onto the new bulb housing/holders. The right side indicator bulb also burnt out which was replaced at the time

Then a little while later, whether by coincidence or not, the day time running lights (DRL) aka angel eyes aka halo rings stopped working, thus prompting the warning light to come up on my dash again. I took it to another local garage who got them working again after a long struggle accessing the bulbs from behind the wheels. However they weren't able to reset the warning light in the dashboard citing not having the right equipment to do this, but not to worry as all worked fine.

Fast forward a year and half and the DRLs have burnt out again along with my right sided indicator bulb again!

The headlights are still working fine thankfully and the bulb housing and wiring still looks ok.

Any ideas or suggestions for a fix?

Thanks!;
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

These error warnings when a light goes out in these cars automatically reset as soon as the problem is fixed which it obviously hasn't been here. I think you might have burned up some wires in the housing and are getting shorts, common in e92 for adaptive light codes
      05-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
ksin87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 E90 316D 2.0L

I didn't know the warning lights automatically reset once a fix is done... So from this I assume there is still a fault somewhere in the headlights that prompts the warning lights to go on? If it is a wiring issue is this a DIY job or an electricians?

Another thing I have noticed is that if I give the headlamps a bang the DRLs come on but with very faint/low light... and the drivers side is slightly brighter than the passengers side. I've also noticed the indicator bulb which I thought was burnt out is actually still working but just very faint.

Very strange...
Appreciate 0