BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
45e2021
Rep
Drives: x5 45e (on order)

Does CarPlay require Enhanced Bluetooth?

This is my first post, so by way of background, I ordered a 45e in March (in the UK), which has essentially been on hold until this week. The process is moving again now (build week 28, expected arrival 35). Having known of the semiconductor issues from this forum, it thankfully didn't come as a shock that the spec is changing. Obviously it being a 45e, I keep air suspension, and there doesn't appear to be any issue with M-Sport spec here in the UK (AFAIK). Metallic paint is now a cost option as of MY22, at least in the UK, which seems a bit of a kick in the teeth, but thankfully the dealer has assured me I won't be affected by that price increase.

I had already resigned myself to the loss of Harman Kardon - wish I could have it, but I will live without. I also don't care about the loss of wireless phone charging and the features of Enhanced Bluetooth would've been useful but not essential. EBT is normally a standard feature on UK G05s, but temporarily deleted.

So to the bit I'm not sure about... does anyone know definitively if you still get full Apple CarPlay functionality with standard Bluetooth? And does CarPlay still connect wirelessly with it? My main priority is being able to play audio from my phone without plugging it in.

I have so far had conflicting answers from my dealer and a BMW Genius, so have asked for further confirmation - but because EBT has been standard fit, I think they genuinely don't know.

Any help much appreciated - sure I'm more likely to get a complete answer here!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e2021 View Post
This is my first post, so by way of background, I ordered a 45e in March (in the UK), which has essentially been on hold until this week. The process is moving again now (build week 28, expected arrival 35). Having known of the semiconductor issues from this forum, it thankfully didn't come as a shock that the spec is changing. Obviously it being a 45e, I keep air suspension, and there doesn't appear to be any issue with M-Sport spec here in the UK (AFAIK). Metallic paint is now a cost option as of MY22, at least in the UK, which seems a bit of a kick in the teeth, but thankfully the dealer has assured me I won't be affected by that price increase.

I had already resigned myself to the loss of Harman Kardon - wish I could have it, but I will live without. I also don't care about the loss of wireless phone charging and the features of Enhanced Bluetooth would've been useful but not essential. EBT is normally a standard feature on UK G05s, but temporarily deleted.

So to the bit I'm not sure about... does anyone know definitively if you still get full Apple CarPlay functionality with standard Bluetooth? And does CarPlay still connect wirelessly with it? My main priority is being able to play audio from my phone without plugging it in.

I have so far had conflicting answers from my dealer and a BMW Genius, so have asked for further confirmation - but because EBT has been standard fit, I think they genuinely don't know.

I believe CarPlay uses wifi for streaming. One reason you will be able to stream Apple Music lossless via CarPlay - for those with B&W, it should be a treat!

Bluetooth is used for the connection only so enhanced BT capabilities won't matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 03:54 AM   #3
45e2021
Rep
Drives: x5 45e (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I believe CarPlay uses wifi for streaming. One reason you will be able to stream Apple Music lossless via CarPlay - for those with B&W, it should be a treat!

Bluetooth is used for the connection only so enhanced BT capabilities won't matter.
Thank you. That makes sense and is encouraging.

But I guess it leaves me with another question: the dealer mentioned that WiFI Hotspot Preparation will also be deleted from the standard spec. Is WiFi Hotspot Prep separate to the WiFi that would be used for connected services and CarPlay?

I feel a bit silly needing to be sure about such a small part of the overall X5 package... and yet I know it's going to annoy me if the car turns up and can't do something pretty simple that I am expecting it to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:23 AM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But I guess it leaves me with another question: the dealer mentioned that WiFI Hotspot Preparation will also be deleted from the standard spec. Is WiFi Hotspot Prep separate to the WiFi that would be used for connected services and CarPlay?

I feel a bit silly needing to be sure about such a small part of the overall X5 package... and yet I know it's going to annoy me if the car turns up and can't do something pretty simple that I am expecting it to do.
FWIW, you are better off using your phone's wifi hotspot rather than the car. Once your phone is being used for CarPlay, it cannot also connect to the car's wifi for any other connection. So from that point of view the wifi hotspot is kinda useless. I have it on mine, but I don't think anyone has used it. It uses At&t and is 4G, not 5G, so you are better off using the phone as a wifi hotspot. JMHO.

I use CarPlay for all my music, navigation and phone call. iDrive is a major reason I own a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:

FWIW, you are better off using your phone's wifi hotspot rather than the car. Once your phone is being used for CarPlay, it cannot also connect to the car's wifi for any other connection. So from that point of view the wifi hotspot is kinda useless. I have it on mine, but I don't think anyone has used it. It uses At&t and is 4G, not 5G, so you are better off using the phone as a wifi hotspot. JMHO.

I use CarPlay for all my music, navigation and phone call. iDrive is a major reason I own a BMW.
I'd though that if your phone is connected using CarPlay, you cannot share its own connection as a hotspot.

You'd need two phones/devices, your primary device etc for CarPlay and something else (phone, dedicated hotspot) for providing wifi to other devices like tablets etc in the car.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      05-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I use the car as a hotspot all the time, my iPhone auto connects to the car when I start up. I also use CarPlay for phone calls, text, and Apple Music (mostly). Everything works as advertised.

BTW - Car hotspot has a more powerful signal and a better range to towers then just the phone. I use ATT to connect my car and it is unlimited data for $15/month.
Appreciate 1
FCX52410.50
      05-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I use the car as a hotspot all the time, my iPhone auto connects to the car when I start up. I also use CarPlay for phone calls, text, and Apple Music (mostly). Everything works as advertised.

BTW - Car hotspot has a more powerful signal and a better range to towers then just the phone. I use ATT to connect my car and it is unlimited data for $15/month.
I have hotspot turned on as well. But how do you use it? When my car connects to the Car and I then try to connect to the hotspot it says CarPlay will be disconnected. So it's just there...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
that's pretty neat, but do you have unlimited data via your phone's plan? if so, is the vehicle hotspot that much more robust that you would pay for an extra unlimited data plan for your vehicle? i guess the experience would be dependent on one's phone plan, provider, service reception, etc.
Quote:
I have hotspot turned on as well. But how do you use it?
a hotspot is a wifi access point to be used by devices to connect to the internet via wifi. the vehicle's hotspot broadcasts its SSID (network wifi name) to which you connect the device.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-27-2021 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
FCX52410.50
      05-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
that's pretty neat, but do you have unlimited data via your phone's plan? if so, is the vehicle hotspot that much more robust that you would pay for an extra unlimited data plan for your vehicle? i guess the experience would be dependent on one's phone plan, provider, service reception, etc.
I have ATT and when I signed the car up a got a “one time” deal (I think they reduced the price by $5/month), I pay ~ an extra $15/month on my phone bill. I never use up my phone data because 90% of my usage is WiFi connected (home, car, gym, etc.).

To answer a question previously ask, well maybe not answer but explain:

When I enter the car with my phone, the car recognizes the phone and the phone grabs the cars WiFi signal when the car starts as noted by the WiFi strength indicator on the phone (vvv). It never asks to disconnect if I use an CarPlay app BTW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:

You may want to double check this. I don't think it's possible for an iPhone to use a hotspot while also using wireless CarPlay. I suspect your phone is reverting to its own cellular data service when connected to wireless CarPlay and you just don't realize it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
Quote:

You may want to double check this. I don't think it's possible for an iPhone to use a hotspot while also using wireless CarPlay. I suspect your phone is reverting to its own cellular data service when connected to wireless CarPlay and you just don't realize it.
That is correct. For CarPlay my phone is connected to the cell plan. It uses the WiFi connection for CarPlay only. It is one reason you can get incredible audio quality out of the wireless connection. I did an A-B with Sirius XM (not a great source) using the App with high bandwidth streaming (via CarPlay) and the native BMW App. The native app is much louder but the dynamic range from the iPhone App is much better and you'll get less distortion when you crank up the volume - especially if you listen to EDM type music.

I do have the BMW hotspot (apparently shows as free until end of Aug for me) but I can't think of anyone ever using it ever in my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Ori
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:

I have the same issue with my g29 order. No digital key, wireless charging , enhanced Bluetooth, or WiFi hotspot.

My concern is the same as yours. If there is no WiFi in the car, I will lose wireless Apple car play. That’s a deal breaker for me. So far I have been unable to get confirmation that Apple car play isn’t affected. Unless with WiFi hotspot is separate to the WiFi for Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got my car a week ago without Wireless Charger and Enhanced Bluetooth and can confirm that Apple CarPlay and Digital Key work fine.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #14
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:

EBT is coding only (atleast it has been for every other BMW I've had to-date), no extra hardware. If you want it, contact me when you get your car and I'll code it in .. just buy a BMW ENET Cable and that's all i'll need to do it remotely.

Personally I would wait on the entire order given the parts shortage. ///M-Sport, HK and Merino leather were must haves for me. Glad our 45e was built in December '20. I feel like the consequences of COVID are never going to end!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
Got my car a week ago without Wireless Charger and Enhanced Bluetooth and can confirm that Apple CarPlay and Digital Key work fine.
I was literally just going to ask about this before I order a MY22 45e!
What effect does not having the wifi hotspot (cellular modem) have on the various "connected" functions of the vehicle?
The build I was sent shows enhanced BT, connected drive services and connected package pro all included.
I'm annoyed with the loss of a couple of things, but can plan B the audio. I asked about getting the B&W, but have been told no...

If I can get a first week of August build with PCO pickup, I might be able to salvage my summer plans.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #16
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

I can also confirm that airplay works just fine without wireless charging and enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      07-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #17
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Without the Enhanced Bluetooth you lose the ability to

- Pair 2 phones in the same car
- Album art covers
- Office (reading/sending SMS, calendar, tasks, notes)
- Playing music from a phone through a USB port
- Music Streaming
- Connecting iOS devices through the USB cable

This is what I found after searching someone correct me please if I'm wrong

Last edited by G07xG80; 07-04-2021 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #18
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post

- Album art covers
- Music Streaming

What's the source? Streaming music and artwork are very basic Bluetooth functionalities and part of the normal BT standard these days, I wouldn't imagine any special enhancement are required for those.

This post implies that w/o EBT you still get those things, but the posters there seem less than certain if the have EBT or not, so I still think this is all inconclusive: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1566615

Also this is the first I've heard of EBT not being included on current 45e builds, anyone hear anything about this, US or otherwise? If my car can't stream music over BT with album art I'm not going to be too happy (car finished production a few weeks ago, waiting for PCD delivery).

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i

Last edited by scottomfg; 07-04-2021 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #19
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Just to update, the features listed on the BMW USA website for Enhanced Bluetooth are:

Quote:
Enhanced smartphone connectivity with additional microphone, USB connections, and ability for simultaneous device pairing
This is from the current 8 series features page.

When doing google searches about this almost all the info I find is from F-series or earlier cars, there is almost nothing for G-series.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #20
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post

- Album art covers
- Music Streaming

This is what I had found from technical training document sticky at the top of this forum.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=47
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #21
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post

Also this is the first I've heard of EBT not being included on current 45e builds, anyone hear anything about this, US or otherwise? If my car can't stream music over BT with album art I'm not going to be too happy (car finished production a few weeks ago, waiting for PCD delivery).
I believe BW24 was the first week where people lost Wireless CarPlay and EBT. If yours was built before that, then you should be fine. Mine was built in BW24 and I don’t have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #22
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

It looks like some of the info and speculation in this thread has turned out to be in error, no fault to the posters since BMW has no good public source of info about this anywhere and we are kind of in unprecedented times here with the various first-time manufacturing shortages. Thanks to Nitrium, we know that his car was recently manufactured and had wireless charging (and presumably, enhanced Bluetooth) removed. He still has music streaming and album art in his X5, post here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27770490

Appreciate 0