E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Crank No start

06-16-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i e90

Engine Crank No start

I have an e90 330i with crank no engine start.
I have spark and injector pluse but the engine will not start.
Am tracing the problem and i come across an issue. I don't have voltage on the engine coolant temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor. I will like to know the voltage that should be on there pin. Because am not getting any voltage on there pin. I have check the continuity to DME and it fine no broken wire.
I will like to know where to check for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzomakiy View Post
I have an e90 330i with crank no engine start.
I have spark and injector pluse but the engine will not start.
Am tracing the problem and i come across an issue. I don't have voltage on the engine coolant temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor. I will like to know the voltage that should be on there pin. Because am not getting any voltage on there pin. I have check the continuity to DME and it fine no broken wire.
I will like to know where to check for the problem.
What error codes do you detect?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
What error codes do you detect?
2e7c, 2d9d,2e32
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am assuming your vehicle has an N52 engine and uses an MSV70 DME

If so:
2E7C BSD bus Communication fault
2E32 DME: Fuel injector, cylinder 3, activation
2D9D: not a code that seems to be used by MSV70. Sure about this one?

BSD (bit serial device) bus is what the DME uses to control the alternator output, water pump output, and read from the oil condition sensor and IBS (intelligent battery sensor) device. BSD bus faults will not prevent the engine from starting or running.

2E32 looks interesting in the context of your problem. What do you mean when you say you "have injector pluse"?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

I tested the injector to see if it will spray which it did. Before this happened anytime i unplug the engine coolant temperature sensor the car won't start except i plug it back.
Now with ignition on and using my mutlimeter i don't get any voltage on them, so am trying to how trace the problem
These are the codes i am getting now using ista
ATTACH]2629335[/ATTACH]

Name:  IMG_20210617_080607.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  312.0 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Uzomakiy; 06-17-2021 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Please i need help the car is on the highway
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:12 AM   #7
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

My bimmer friends help
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
I don't have many ideas to offer you.
My brothers 06 330i once died while showing 1/4 tank of petrol, but it was truly empty. A fuel level sender began to have issues. Adding petrol fixed it.

I think some people have resolved starting issues by unplugging the IBS, but I cannot remember 100%. That may have just been a quick fix for charging problems.

If you reset all your error codes, which ones return after attempting to start it?

Are you hearing the fuel pump operate at any time?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

expand...Ok i turned the injectors up side down to check if it will spray and it did. I aslo brought out the coil and put a plug on it to ground and i saw spark
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
expand...Ok i turned the injectors up side down to check if it will spray and it did. I aslo brought out the coil and put a plug on it to ground and i saw spark
Ok great. So now when you erase all the error codes and attempt to restart it, which codes reappear?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Attachment 2629335

Attachment 2629336
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #12
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Attachment 2629335

Attachment 2629336
Ok, but did you first erase them and then reread the codes or are you just redisplaying the same codes from before?

19 faults is so many to get at once, not that it's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #13
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantraxalos View Post
Ok, but did you first erase them and then reread the codes or are you just redisplaying the same codes from before?

19 faults is so many to get at once, not that it's impossible.
The car started twice and wont again. Below are the codes a get but mind tje MRS codes my passenger seat has issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #14
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The answer to Mantraxalos's question is important:
Are these codes being detected with the coolant sensor plugged in or not?

For now, let's assume all devices are connected normally. If so, it's very interesting that now you have so many more fault codes than you reported before. And that two out of three of the old ones have now disappeared.

Guess #1: It is clear you've got a lot of communication faults, mostly related to JBE in one way or another, which cannot be simply a matter of disconnecting one sensor.

C905 JBE: KCAN line fault (sometimes a short)
C907 JBE: KCAN communications fault
S 0337: I believe this means some module is absent/unable to communicate but I don't know which
E71F IHKA: message from JBE not received

Since JBE is the gateway tying K-CAN, PT-CAN and F-CAN together it is reasonable to propose a problem with JBE which could be just a wire/connector issue, since you report that the vehicle occasionally starts.

Guess #2: a slew of DME codes obviously point to the DME. But the fact that the engine occasionally start suggests that the DME is OK. I don't know what voltages you'd expect to find on the coolant sensor. However, both wires from the engine coolant temperature sensor run directly back to the DME so if there should be voltage, it's got to come from the DME. The DME is currently reporting the coolant sensor as missing along with a number of other sensors. The simplest explanation for this constellation of error codes and behaviors is a connector problem. I'd look inside the DME box for water, unplug the DME connectors and check for corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:31 AM   #15
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The answer to Mantraxalos's question is important:
Are these codes being detected with the coolant sensor plugged in or not?

For now, let's assume all devices are connected normally. If so, it's very interesting that now you have so many more fault codes than you reported before. And that two out of three of the old ones have now disappeared.

Guess #1: It is clear you've got a lot of communication faults, mostly related to JBE in one way or another, which cannot be simply a matter of disconnecting one sensor.

C905 JBE: KCAN line fault (sometimes a short)
C907 JBE: KCAN communications fault
S 0337: I believe this means some module is absent/unable to communicate but I don't know which
E71F IHKA: message from JBE not received

Since JBE is the gateway tying K-CAN, PT-CAN and F-CAN together it is reasonable to propose a problem with JBE which could be just a wire/connector issue, since you report that the vehicle occasionally starts.

Guess #2: a slew of DME codes obviously point to the DME. But the fact that the engine occasionally start suggests that the DME is OK. I don't know what voltages you'd expect to find on the coolant sensor. However, both wires from the engine coolant temperature sensor run directly back to the DME so if there should be voltage, it's got to come from the DME. The DME is currently reporting the coolant sensor as missing along with a number of other sensors. The simplest explanation for this constellation of error codes and behaviors is a connector problem. I'd look inside the DME box for water, unplug the DME connectors and check for corrosion.
All sensors including the coolant sensor are connected.

The water corrosion was on the water pump plug and it cut fuse 2 on the E-Box which I have replaced. That when all this problem occasionally start begin.

On the DME, i had brought a working one with the same part number and it still doing the same.

My question is, Does the JBE control the operation of the DME
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All sensors including the coolant sensor are connected.

The water corrosion was on the water pump plug and it cut fuse 2 on the E-Box which I have replaced. That when all this problem occasionally start begin.

On the DME, i had brought a working one with the same part number and it still doing the same.

You bought a used DME? You had it reprogrammed so SK/ISN matches CAS? At what point in this process did you replace the DME? Is there any other information about service to the vehicle that you have not told us?

What did you replace - the fuse, the waterpump, the waterpump plug? Why do you say water corrosion was on the plug?

What are the last 7 digits of your VIN?

Last edited by dpaul; 06-23-2021 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #17
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You bought a used DME? You had it reprogrammed so SK/ISN matches CAS? At what point in this process did you replace the DME? Is there any other information about service to the vehicle that you have not told us?

What did you replace - the fuse, the waterpump, the waterpump plug? Why do you say water corrosion was on the plug?

What are the last 7 digits of your VIN?
VIN-AZ87227

I bought a used DME and CAS with the same part number and i already had It before for this issue happened. I have tested it on the car before and kept it as spare.

The water pump is good is just that the plug remove while ignition is on and water pure on it. Fuse 2 on the E Box cut and i replaced it. Pump now works and was not replaced
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:03 PM   #18
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JBE is a gateway and translator for some of the different communication buses in the E90.
It does not control the DME but is involved in its communication with some other modules.

Here's a link to an overview general description of the E90 electrical system
https://www.e92n55.com/wp-content/up...us-systems.pdf

Since you say our car will occasionally start, the simplest explanation for your problem is a wire/connector/ground issue. To be honest, I'm confused by your description of the problem, particularly with the statement that you have both fuel and spark being delivered but the engine won't run. Fuel, spark and compression would typically be all you need.

Perhaps some other posters will be able to help
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JBE is a gateway and translator for some of the different communication buses in the E90.
It does not control the DME but is involved in its communication with some other modules.

Here's a link to an overview general description of the E90 electrical system
https://www.e92n55.com/wp-content/up...us-systems.pdf

Since you say our car will occasionally start, the simplest explanation for your problem is a wire/connector/ground issue. To be honest, I'm confused by your description of the problem, particularly with the statement that you have both fuel and spark being delivered but the engine won't run. Fuel, spark and compression would typically be all you need.

Perhaps some other posters will be able to help
Pls why don't i have voltage present at the engine coolant temperature sensor and oil pressure switch because before this anytime i mistakenly unplug the coolant sensor the won't start unless i plug it back
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:37 AM   #20
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pls why don't i have voltage present at the engine coolant temperature sensor and oil pressure switch because before this anytime i mistakenly unplug the coolant sensor the won't start unless i plug it back
I don't know what voltage you should find at those sensors or if voltage is even detectable there. Maybe this weekend I could check in my car but it's a 335 and its DME is very different than yours.

But if you are sure that you should find voltage across the pins of their connectors, and sure that the wires/connectors from those sensors to DME are OK, then you might think about where that voltage would come from. Yes, the DME obviously but then think about where the DME power from.

DME gets power from a couple of sources. One of them the F03 fuse that you mentioned you replaced before (water pump is supplied by F02 and F09, also in the DME box). It is also supplied by F54 in the JBE fuse carrier.. Perhaps it is worth checking those for integrity or evidence of corrosion.

Here are the relevant circuit diagrams (BTW all of these are available to you in ISTA-D)

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #21
Uzomakiy
Uzomakiy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what voltage you should find at those sensors or if voltage is even detectable there. Maybe this weekend I could check in my car but it's a 335 and its DME is very different than yours.

But if you are sure that you should find voltage across the pins of their connectors, and sure that the wires/connectors from those sensors to DME are OK, then you might think about where that voltage would come from. Yes, the DME obviously but then think about where the DME power from.

DME gets power from a couple of sources. One of them the F03 fuse that you mentioned you replaced before (water pump is supplied by F02 and F09, also in the DME box). It is also supplied by F54 in the JBE fuse carrier.. Perhaps it is worth checking those for integrity or evidence of corrosion.

Here are the relevant circuit diagrams (BTW all of these are available to you in ISTA-D)

Thanks alot i will be waiting for your findings
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks alot i will be waiting for your findings
Don't wait. I'm not sure when I can get to this. I suggest you explore the things I discussed above
Appreciate 0