BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #1
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

WeatherTech Mat Sticker Replacement - X5 45e

I apologize in advance for the first-world problem kind of question, but here it goes.

Does any of you fellow X5 45e'rs have WeatherTech mats and has any of you guys replaced the ginormous and pretty blah WT stickers with custom made ones?

I am going through this process now with a great designer on Etsy and am thinking about what to replace the WT logo with, so if any of you guys has done it already and wants to show off their creations I would love to see 'em!

So far the designer and I have been playing around with "eDrive" (like the logo that shows up in the instrument cluster) or "X5 eDrive": any thoughts?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

I like the X5 eDrive, did you ever post pics?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadersithlord View Post
I like the X5 eDrive, did you ever post pics?
Thank you for your input!
Not yet, but I like that concept: let me work on it with the designer and when it is finalized I will post pictures here.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

Lol I was asking about your X5
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadersithlord View Post
Lol I was asking about your X5
Hahaha, sorry I misunderstood you!!!

There you go, arctic grey 45e xLine with 20" wheels, fresh out of tinting and full front PPF: I love this car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
I apologize in advance for the first-world problem kind of question, but here it goes.

Does any of you fellow X5 45e'rs have WeatherTech mats and has any of you guys replaced the ginormous and pretty blah WT stickers with custom made ones?

I am going through this process now with a great designer on Etsy and am thinking about what to replace the WT logo with, so if any of you guys has done it already and wants to show off their creations I would love to see 'em!

So far the designer and I have been playing around with "eDrive" (like the logo that shows up in the instrument cluster) or "X5 eDrive": any thoughts?

Thank you!
I think you can find an M Performance badge on eBay to stick over if you wanted to. Usually, I just remove a badge or cover it with tape if it bothers me a lot.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:

Thank you!
I think you can find an M Performance badge on eBay to stick over if you wanted to. Usually, I just remove a badge or cover it with tape if it bothers me a lot.
Thank you for your input! I have seen the M stickers, but I would rather not use them as my X5 is not an M (not even an M Sport for that matter) so it would feel out of place.

But, thanks for your suggestions nonetheless!

The issue I have with the WT badges is that they are HUGE!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

First thing I do is remove their badges, looks way better without.

Its like dealer plate frames, why advertise?
Appreciate 2
Russ103309.00
      07-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #9
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
First thing I do is remove their badges, looks way better without.

Its like dealer plate frames, why advertise?
Totally agree with you!

Just imagine that the dealer I bought my X5 from is used to sticking a light blue badge with a white sailboat on it and the name of the dealership on the tailgate or trunk of all BMW's they sell! When I went there to order my X5 and I noticed, I had the CA note on my order that I would not take delivery with that thing on the paint of MY car! Unbelievable.

And I am still waiting to get rid of the dealer's plate frame only because I have ordered a vanity plate so I'm going to wait for that to be delivered before I replace their frame.

Maybe I would understand if they gave us a discount for the free advertising, but since this is not the case AND the things with their names on them generally look terrible, I don't see any good reason to keep them there.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

I just pulled the WeatherTech Sticker off. This is another option:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8682380...r-decal-insert
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I just pulled the WeatherTech Sticker off. This is another option:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8682380...r-decal-insert
Thank you: that's the guy I'm working with!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, just to follow up on this little project and provide an update: the one at the link is the design I have settled for - I like it because it matches the eDrive logo in the instrument cluster:

https://i.etsystatic.com/icm/6ff82b/....png?version=0

Just in case someone were interested, this is the designer I worked with on Etsy: there is no affiliation, just a happy customer:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignerDealerDecals
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, just to follow up on this little project and provide an update: the one at the link is the design I have settled for - I like it because it matches the eDrive logo in the instrument cluster:

Just in case someone were interested, this is the designer I worked with on Etsy: there is no affiliation, just a happy customer:

Last update on this project: finally the 3M glue that I had ordered (3M Scorch-Weld) was delivered earlier today so I could go ahead, remove the WT logo stickers and apply my new eDrive stickers to my WeatherTech liners and trunk mat: below are some pictures of the end result, I like the way the replacement stickers look: I think the designer did a fantastic job.

One piece of advice if any of you is going to do something similar: the instructions on Etsy recommend heating up the WT stickers to more easily remove them: don't. I did with the first one and had to deal with a ton of adhesive residue stuck to the liner, which is a pain to get rid of. For the second and third stickers I simply slid the blade of a flat screwdriver underneath one of the short edges of the sticker to help lift it up and then pulled the sticker off with my fingers. It came off super easily leaving no adhesive residue on the liner/mat. You are going to save yourself some time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
45e21153.00
FCX52417.00
cptcolo103.50
      08-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Last update on this project: finally the 3M glue that I had ordered (3M Scorch-Weld) was delivered earlier today so I could go ahead, remove the WT logo stickers and apply my new eDrive stickers to my WeatherTech liners and trunk mat: below are some pictures of the end result, I like the way the replacement stickers look: I think the designer did a fantastic job.

One piece of advice if any of you is going to do something similar: the instructions on Etsy recommend heating up the WT stickers to more easily remove them: don't. I did with the first one and had to deal with a ton of adhesive residue stuck to the liner, which is a pain to get rid of. For the second and third stickers I simply slid the blade of a flat screwdriver underneath one of the short edges of the sticker to help lift it up and then pulled the sticker off with my fingers. It came off super easily leaving no adhesive residue on the liner/mat. You are going to save yourself some time.
Thanks for sharing! It honestly looks like it could've come with those stickers.

One question - are you worried about the clear part of the sticker getting scuffed up at all? Obviously they're floor mats so I can't complain too much, but I wonder what they'll look like in a few months.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #15
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:

Thanks for sharing! It honestly looks like it could've come with those stickers.

One question - are you worried about the clear part of the sticker getting scuffed up at all? Obviously they're floor mats so I can't complain too much, but I wonder what they'll look like in a few months.
That's an excellent question and an absolutely valid point: my short answer is that only time will tell but since the outside surface of the stickers is somewhat gel-like to the touch, I suspect that over time they may get scuffed, particularly the sticker on the trunk mat.

Having said that, what I can tell you is that the material (although not the same) feels extremely similar to that of the original WT stickers, so my thinking is that I'd rather end up with scuffed eDrive stickers than with scuffed WT stickers
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #16
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Looks supercool!!
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #17
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
Looks supercool!!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #18
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! You could sell this if you can find a white label seller on Ali Express!
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Last update on this project: finally the 3M glue that I had ordered (3M Scorch-Weld) was delivered earlier today so I could go ahead[…]
why this 3M glue when the stickers already come with adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #20
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! BMW (or WT under license) should come up with a dedicated line of mats/liners, that would be cool
Appreciate 1
FCX52417.00
      08-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #21
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Last update on this project: finally the 3M glue that I had ordered (3M Scorch-Weld) was delivered earlier today so I could go ahead[…]
why this 3M glue when the stickers already come with adhesive?
The designer recommended supplementing the stickers' adhesive with a rubber-specific super glue considering that, depending on the seasons, the inside of the car (and therefore the mats/liners) can be exposed to pretty significant temperature swings, which could result in the stickers detaching in whole or in part. So I thought that adding a few drops of rubber instant glue wouldn't hurt anyway.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4777.50
      08-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #22
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you! BMW (or WT under license) should come up with a dedicated line of mats/liners, that would be cool
I think they'd sell a lot of it! Probably one with every other car. WT quality is so good, but the logo is huge and it was the reason I never bought them!

Nice choice 👍🏻
Appreciate 1