BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Front License Plate Rant

Not a very useful post, but just want to rant about the front license plate.

I asked the dealer several times to not install the front plate on the x5 when delivered, but I just found out that they still did it

Yes I know, first world problems, and I realize many don't think it's a big deal, but it bothers me that I asked multiple times and yet they still drilled through the bumper.

Oh well, nothing I can do now. Maybe I can get them to throw in free accessories. Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Did you have it written on the PO? If not then not much you can do except if you have an M50i... You can request they replace the trim piece with a new one. P/N 51118099662. It comes painted gloss black from the factory and is an easy swap for them. Worst case scenario you pay the $200 and do it yourself.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

I had a clear understanding with my dealer at the time of order and throughout that I would not take delivery if they installed the bracket. And yes, my state has a front plate law.....

They did not install it.

I know my info does not help your current situation, but if you had this in writing with your dealer it is time form them to make it right.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

I do have it in writing. They've come back and offered to fix it, but not sure if I'm going to do it as it may delay delivery even longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

If they offered to fix it then there is nothing to be concerned with except maybe the one day extra it takes to get this resolved.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

I didn't get it in writing but I reminded my salesperson multiple times during the wait lmao. Can ruin that mean Msport face with a front plate
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
You can request they replace the trim piece with a new one. P/N 51118099662.
YuicyYumboYack
I have this trim piece available, brand new, never installed. if you decide to get it replaced but they won't cover it, I can let it go at a crazy discount. (I'm not trying to recover what I paid for it.) 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
If they offered to fix it then there is nothing to be concerned with except maybe the one day extra it takes to get this resolved.
Agreed, now that they've offered I can't be too upset.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
YuicyYumboYack
I have this trim piece available, brand new, never installed. if you decide to get it replaced but they won't cover it, I can let it go at a crazy discount. (I'm not trying to recover what I paid for it.) 👍🏼
Really appreciate the offer! The vehicle unfortunately isn't an M50i, so don't think it will work. But thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Really appreciate the offer! The vehicle unfortunately isn't an M50i, so don't think it will work. But thank you!
mine is 45e, but the trim piece fits any G05 M Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
I do have it in writing. They've come back and offered to fix it, but not sure if I'm going to do it as it may delay delivery even longer.
Have them fix it, who cares about the few day wait. You'll be more bothered by it if its not fixed. The dealer prep guys aren't reading your sales order, so this really falls on the SA and manager to make sure they don't screw up. I've always requested it and never had it screwed up. SA can take the front bracket out of the car and leave a note on the hood/bumper reminding them not to install.
      07-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That is a huge mistake by the dealership. I actually won’t allocate / dealer trade cars that have the front plate anymore. When I did get cars from NY to PA, I use these.

https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
+1 on these. that's what I used since the onus fell on me to either get the trim replaced or plug up the holes they made.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #14
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:

I asked the dealer several times to not install the front plate on the x5 when delivered, but I just found out that they still did it

Yes I know, first world problems, and I realize many don't think it's a big deal, but it bothers me that I asked multiple times and yet they still drilled through the bumper.

Oh well, nothing I can do now. Maybe I can get them to throw in free accessories. Rant over.
Oh gosh, I'm sorry man, that's actually not cool at all. I totally understand how you feel: when I ordered my X5 I told my SA that I didn't want them to install any front plate and he told me that they never do on X5's except if the owner expressly asks them to. I was relieved to hear that.

As others have pointed out, since you have it in writing, I would have them take it off and fix this screwup before they deliver the car to you.

Also, if you ordered the DAP or the PAP, I am not sure they can install the front plate without it covering (at least in part) any of the radar and sensors that are all over the front bumper…
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Sorry to hear they did that to you but at least they will try and make it right.

I was toying with the idea of not putting the front plate on bit wasn't sure. I had my X5 down at the dealership for an oil change and was talking to the Director of Service and he asked if I was going to put a front plate on. I told him my concerns and he says they skip it on a lot of vehicles and most folks don't have problems.

I decided to skip the front plate and let my CA know. When the car arrived he sent some pics. As soon as it was unloaded he made sure everyone knew there would be no front plate.
Attached Images

nZtiZia4754.00
Russ103308.00
      07-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #16
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:

Not a first world rant at all - if you stated it..end of story. They screwed up. I'd be over the top pissed as well, as the front plate looks like crap (though better than most - like Alfa). Make them fix it, move on, and enjoy the beautiful ride.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #17
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Sorry to hear they did that to you but at least they will try and make it right.

I was toying with the idea of not putting the front plate on bit wasn't sure. I had my X5 down at the dealership for an oil change and was talking to the Director of Service and he asked if I was going to put a front plate on. I told him my concerns and he says they skip it on a lot of vehicles and most folks don't have problems.

I decided to skip the front plate and let my CA know. When the car arrived he sent some pics. As soon as it was unloaded he made sure everyone knew there would be no front plate.
Ha! They sure did!

That's one good looking ride! What color is that? Manhattan green? Looks darker that that, but maybe it's just because it's in the shade?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #18
BMWdriver38
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Last month I was at a SF bay area BMW dealership and noticed that all the license plate brackets of the cars on the lot were pink. Apparently the dealership had a promo with the Women's Breast Cancer organization. I asked if the dealership would not install the front license plate. I was told that the California DMV requires that front license plate to be installed at delivery and that the dealership is required to complete a form documenting their license plate installation compliance. I did not validate the accuracy of what was told to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Ha! They sure did!

That's one good looking ride! What color is that? Manhattan green? Looks darker that that, but maybe it's just because it's in the shade?
It is Verde Ermes. It comes alive in the sunlight although the pics don't really capture it. Before and after tint/ppf/ceramic.

PS. Sorry OP for taking the thread on a different path.
Attached Images

sebseb72.00
john1200c238.50
      07-08-2021, 10:51 PM   #20
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

+another vote for bumper plugs. I've used them on vehicles where there was already the paper plate on the car. Matches perfectly, and in fact looks like it came that way for the most part.
      07-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #21
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdriver38 View Post
Last month I was at a SF bay area BMW dealership and noticed that all the license plate brackets of the cars on the lot were pink. Apparently the dealership had a promo with the Women's Breast Cancer organization. I asked if the dealership would not install the front license plate. I was told that the California DMV requires that front license plate to be installed at delivery and that the dealership is required to complete a form documenting their license plate installation compliance. I did not validate the accuracy of what was told to me.
A lot of front plate states require the dealership to install the front plate bracket. I've never heard of a DMV form, but could imagine Cali would be the state to do it..haha. Regardless, each dealership handles it differently. Of course, it may not necessarily matter how its installed as long as they installed it prior to delivery....a little tape until you drive off the lot works.
      07-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #22
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Ha! They sure did!

It is Verde Ermes. It comes alive in the sunlight although the pics don't really capture it. Before and after tint/ppf/ceramic.

PS. Sorry OP for taking the thread on a different path.
With additional apologies to OP for a quick interlude: wow, that's sick TurtleBoy!

I love that hue of green: for my personal taste that's hands down my favorite. Neither too light nor too dark, metallic (for me a must) and rich, warm and… "creamy." Love it, great choice and first BMW I see in that color.

Out of curiosity, did you do full front PPF or did you go all in?

Congrats on a spectacular ride!
Appreciate 1