E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Runflat fix in the GTA?

11-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Herc
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 TiAg 328i e90

Runflat fix in the GTA?

Anyone have a runflat fixed in the GTA, and where? If not, could you list some top tire shops who I might try calling.

I read up on some posts (probably US posts) about some people fixing runflats with a nail puncture in the center of the tire, which is where mine is on one of my winters. I've actually driven on the tire and it only loses pressure slowly, and an air-refill lasts a few days.

I bought the tire insurance, and I'm already getting the run-around from Autohaus, they're saying they need to be "BMW approved" rims and tires to make a claim on the insurance, what BS. I did not buy the set from a BMW dealership. They are Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST on M5 reps. I'm really happy with that tire BTW.

I haven't yet gone past the first point of contact at Autohaus. I just wanted to see if fixing is an option for me. I only need them one more winter.

Thanks in advance!

Step | Sport | Premium | Black Leatherette | Brushed Aluminum Trim | Comfort Access | Adaptive Bi-Xenons | Chrome Kidneys | 30% Tint | OEM Alarm
Summers: Stock 161 runflat setup; Winters: M5 reps on Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

you can try albert at speedstar...they are in markham.....i had him pull off my stock run flats off the stock rims to mount my winters on...i know that they have good experience with mounting and dismounting run flats.... 905-415-3442
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
BMW Newbie
Who needs CR7
Canada
Rep
Drives: SG328xi

How much they charge for putting winter tires/w rims, probably need to balance???
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Anyone have a runflat fixed in the GTA, and where? If not, could you list some top tire shops who I might try calling.

I read up on some posts (probably US posts) about some people fixing runflats with a nail puncture in the center of the tire, which is where mine is on one of my winters. I've actually driven on the tire and it only loses pressure slowly, and an air-refill lasts a few days.

I bought the tire insurance, and I'm already getting the run-around from Autohaus, they're saying they need to be "BMW approved" rims and tires to make a claim on the insurance, what BS. I did not buy the set from a BMW dealership. They are Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST on M5 reps. I'm really happy with that tire BTW.

I haven't yet gone past the first point of contact at Autohaus. I just wanted to see if fixing is an option for me. I only need them one more winter.

Thanks in advance!

Are you say using aftermarket rim with approved winter tires cannot make the claim?

I believe Dunlop M3 runflat is BMW approved.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Newbie View Post
How much they charge for putting winter tires/w rims, probably need to balance???
he charged me $130 for runflat
      11-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Newbie View Post
ask for Albert (aka owner) and tell him Soni send you there....you will get a little bit of discount!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Thats the exact reason why I declined their stupid insurance. Too many rules and exceptions. I knew I would never see my money again.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
SSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

I had tire insurance from T&C..and it's not from BMW Canada...some other 3rd party thing..and can fix tires on any aftermarket rim (as they said)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
I had tire insurance from T&C..and it's not from BMW Canada...some other 3rd party thing..and can fix tires on any aftermarket rim (as they said)
+1 from Open Road!! I asked them before I purschase the package.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't tell me the tire insurance from BMW Canada does not covered the run-flat tires with the aftermarket wheels. I asked them before I purchased the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Herc
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep

not sure yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
Are you say using aftermarket rim with approved winter tires cannot make the claim?

I believe Dunlop M3 runflat is BMW approved.

Hopefully you're right. I have an aftermarket rim with Dunlop Wintersport M3. I haven't talked to the service dept directly yet, so I don't know the whole story. The parts guy gave me the line but he did say to check with service, and of course when I tried I couldn't get through. Friggin' Autohaus

I will call them again likely tomorrow and let you guys know what they say. I may not be dead in the water here. This post was to gather some info in the meantime in case I need it. Not like there will be any Dunlops left when I need it.

H

Step | Sport | Premium | Black Leatherette | Brushed Aluminum Trim | Comfort Access | Adaptive Bi-Xenons | Chrome Kidneys | 30% Tint | OEM Alarm
Summers: Stock 161 runflat setup; Winters: M5 reps on Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully you're right. I have an aftermarket rim with Dunlop Wintersport M3. I haven't talked to the service dept directly yet, so I don't know the whole story. The parts guy gave me the line but he did say to check with service, and of course when I tried I couldn't get through. Friggin' Autohaus

I will call them again likely tomorrow and let you guys know what they say. I may not be dead in the water here. This post was to gather some info in the meantime in case I need it. Not like there will be any Dunlops left when I need it.

H
I bought the insurance from Autohaus as well. The finance manger told me that the insurance cover 1 set of OEM wheels and tires and 1 set of winter tires. That's why I bought the insurance from them!

If they denied, I will go and complain to her!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
sfj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i & E92 328i

i believe the insurance is not offered by bmw canada, its from a private company, so dont bother with the BS. i believe u can contact them for the claim. but i might be wrong,
pls correct me if i m wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfj View Post
i believe the insurance is not offered by bmw canada, its from a private company, so dont bother with the BS. i believe u can contact them for the claim. but i might be wrong,
pls correct me if i m wrong.

I am pretty sure there are 2 different tire and wheel insurances for the BMW. One is offered by BMW canada which covered only for 3 years and the other one is by a private company (can't remember the name) and it covered 4 years warranty. The only disadvantage of the private company is you have to pay the cost of the tire first, then you can reimburse the $ back if the tire is damaged by accident.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
SSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

I think if you go the BMW dealership that joins the private company tire insurance ring, you don't need to pay first..and the dealer will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
Herc
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep

Update... so far so good

Ok, so I found my insurance agreement - it's with SafeGuard. So I called them myself. The automated message says that to make a claim, go to the dealership you bought the insurance at and they'll process the claim.

On Friday morning (yesterday) I drove to Autohaus with my damaged winter tire, but I took my other car, not my bimmer. The SA (Dave, very friendly) told me that I need to bring the bimmer too, not just the tire, so they can validate mileage, VIN, etc (to prevent people from sneaking claims for another car). So, he couldn't process my claim and made me an appt for this morning .

So I show up this morning, and a new SA (Prem, also very friendly) tells me the insurance company is closed on weekends so technically he can't start the claim without speaking to them (procedure) . When I tell him my story of the day before, he very nicely put the claim together for me with no questions asked (including info about the car, you know VIN, mileage etc )

They didn't have my Dunlop in stock, so he ordered one for me, which should arrive on Tuesday. And of course, I shouldn't be paying anything for this.

I'll post a final if anything else weird happens. I hate being a rookie, but it looks like it's going the way it's supposed to be going

H

Appreciate 0