home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

07-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

My MSS HAS review after several adjustments

When they were first adjusted and first drive, I hated them and was considering removing them. The drop was uneven, ridiculous waiting time for them to settle ( BTW have we ever seen the video or documentation for why that we were promised?) and frankly how imprecise these are to gauge.

So I waited a week and the rear had settled about 17mm and the front 7mm. Just what I did not want, I wanted the rake. The ride was uneven, I just simply hated it.

So we started over, this time we made the rear about stock height and the front we went 25mm drop. What we got was 1.5 finger gap in back and almost 2 in the front.

2 weeks later it has settled to these pictures, if it stays here I am good. But who knows with these things.

The ride is far better than initial install, I would say setting the rear to almost no drop and allowing whatever in the hell MSS did to the spring rate to do its thing, you will get a drop if my car is any indicator. I would say the car in comfort mode is actually better than stock, over some bad roads ( we actually searched for bad streets that car was more compliant and composed. On smooth roads it was even better. So I am happy there.

I put the car in Sport and Sport Plus, I would say I could live with this setup just fine as I don't imagine much driving will be done with the suspension that wound up.

The look, I got my rake back. This is all the drop I want. I have 10/13mm spacers. I also have the extensions on the back, I recommend them for M3's.

This works but frankly this is a BS mod, for the cost there should be some predictability to the drop and not some vagueness that I have to watch over and wave dead chickens over my head and chant Cure lyrics to initiate a drop.

So, in closing, good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by MarineRaider; 07-16-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Thanks for the honest review. Especially the part about waving dead chickens over your head.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 992 gt3, 992 turbo S

Thanks for your effort but why turn the wheels when u take a pic? We can't tell the drop in front when u do this ?
Appreciate 4
Vic5519584.00
JTO245276.00
Remonster824.00
      07-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyJ View Post
Thanks for your effort but why turn the wheels when u take a pic? We can't tell the drop in front when u do this ?
I took the pictures for me...not you.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519584.00
      07-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

LOL at waving the dead chickens

I have a G82 and my MSS are sitting in my garage. I'm still going to wait a little bit to install them, but this is the exact drop I want, as I must have a little forward rake. I don't want it level, and the rear DEFINITELY can't be lower than the front. So I'll drop the front as low as it can go, and then adjust the rear accordingly to give me the rake, even before the front settles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

If you said these are the before pictures…I would not disagree!

I have the MSS kit btw waiting to be installed so don't take that the wrong way!

You're correct, we never did get a video or explanation about why it takes Two Thousand Miles To settle!!

Some of the pics from the other guys have been decent though so I'm holding out hope!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

I believe it has finally settled. Please with look and ride.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
I believe it has finally settled. Please with look and ride.
Looks fantastic! Have you measured the height of the bottom front of the grille/bumper cover from the ground? I'd like to compare that to mine (MSS since July 5th). Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

Did you lower the back all the way down?
      07-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
Did you lower the back all the way down?
I would assume he has only lowered the rear a very small amount if at all. I think he's going for a 'rake' look.

If it was me I would take the rear down an inch or so but each to their own
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I would assume he has only lowered the rear a very small amount if at all. I think he's going for a 'rake' look.

If it was me I would take the rear down an inch or so but each to their own
Here it is to your spec. It rubbed with no load in the back and I prefer the rake.In addition, this spec I lost about 20% of the ride quality across all modes. I didn't like it.

With only a 5mm drop the helper spring made it ride better than factory, so I got the look I wanted and a better ride.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Looks fantastic! Have you measured the height of the bottom front of the grille/bumper cover from the ground? I'd like to compare that to mine (MSS since July 5th). Thanks in advance!
Thank you. I will if it helps you.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Thank you. I will if it helps you.
If it's not too much trouble, yes it would definitely help. Im trying to achieve a similar look, but it's difficult to judge without the data. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #14
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

I would love to slam the rear and front but these houston streets aren't very lowered car friendly.
I have the mss kit on order, how much did you turn the dial on the springs? Might save me some adjusting time lol
Appreciate 1
rdasari87.50
      08-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #15
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

It has dropped 2mm in the front in the past week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:30 PM   #16
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
I would love to slam the rear and front but these houston streets aren't very lowered car friendly.
I have the mss kit on order, how much did you turn the dial on the springs? Might save me some adjusting time lol
Having had them on for about a week, I will definitely say the ride quality is worse. I'm pretty low (I plan on raising it after a while, just want it to fully settle, maybe a few mm higher front and rear), but certainly not slammed (I guess you can't slam HAS anyway). But it looks great!

However, where I live in the MD/DC/VA area, we have very little smooth roads. So the extra stiffness is a bit much for me, though I tend to have a high tolerance for stiff rides. My issue is the feeling of "crashing" into bumps. At the stock height, the suspension is decidedly more compliant over sharper impacts. With a lowered HAS, now those thumps and whacks become crashes. It's a little much for me.

So, to me, it doesn't "ride like stock". Having said that, the suspension has less float, so for many it will feel "better" in aggressive situations. I do like that. But in regular every day driving, the suspension is a bit too taught to me...hec, I think stock is a bit "giggly" to me too. With such a bigger car, I just tend to expect more compliance...and the G8X are decidedly stiff to me, even stock. With the HAS, the stiffness gets even more pronounced.

And with HAS, I can't really tell the difference between Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus. Now, they all basically feel about the same.

So, I'll ride this out for a few weeks, and then I'm going to raise it...to get a bit more compliance.
Appreciate 0