BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xDrive

Automatic Start Stop hack using Sport Individual mode

The automatic start stop with mild hybrid is far better than it has been on the other BMWs I've had, but there are still times when it breaks the flow of driving too much, especially in stop and go traffic.

I am probably not the first to think of this, but I gave it a go and it seems to work. To effectively have the car in 'comfort' just without ASS, I've configured all my Sport Individual settings to 'comfort'. I just select the Sport Individual mode when I start driving. Since I've not really figured out an individual sport configuration I want, it works out.

Only other noticeable change is that the display is in sports mode. Unless I am missing something?
Attached Images

07-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I just coded it out completely and will turn it on manually when desired, which is like never.
Appreciate 1
Russ103309.00
      07-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
whtbst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4CH View Post
The automatic start stop with mild hybrid is far better than it has been on the other BMWs I've had, but there are still times when it breaks the flow of driving too much, especially in stop and go traffic.

I am probably not the first to think of this, but I gave it a go and it seems to work. To effectively have the car in 'comfort' just without ASS, I've configured all my Sport Individual settings to 'comfort'. I just select the Sport Individual mode when I start driving. Since I've not really figured out an individual sport configuration I want, it works out.

Only other noticeable change is that the display is in sports mode. Unless I am missing something?
I tried this technique several weeks ago based on a similar thread and unfortunately the setting didn’t stick from drive to drive. Whenever
I would end one trip, the next trip wouldn’t recall the SI setting at start-up. This meant I still had to press a button to change to SI or disable ASS — which defeated the purpose of the hack. Did your experience differ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbst View Post
Quote:

I tried this technique several weeks ago based on a similar thread and unfortunately the setting didn’t stick from drive to drive. Whenever
I would end one trip, the next trip wouldn’t recall the SI setting at start-up. This meant I still had to press a button to change to SI or disable ASS — which defeated the purpose of the hack. Did your experience differ?
Which year do you have?

In the 2021, with the mild hybrid there is no button to disable it at all. Only way it turns off is to put the transmission into DS (pushing left) or to drive in a Sports mode. So pressing the Sports mode button to get to Individual upon turning the car on a good alternative to not having the option at all. Other option as someone mentioned is via coding.
      07-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Which year do you have?

In the 2021, with the mild hybrid there is no button to disable it at all. Only way it turns off is to put the transmission into DS (pushing left) or to drive in a Sports mode. So pressing the Sports mode button to get to Individual upon turning the car on a good alternative to not having the option at all. Other option as someone mentioned is via coding.
I believe he is referring to pushing the Sport button in order to go to Sport Individual.
      07-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbst View Post
Yes, that is the way it works. Unless you code it, the vehicle will default to Comfort mode when you start it up. The workaround is just to emulate the ASS button which needed to be pressed each time.