E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sorry for the duplicate post - 335i purchase post serpentine belt failure

08-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
eppson977
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Sorry for the duplicate post - 335i purchase post serpentine belt failure

I couldn’t figure out how to cross post sorry for the duplicate post.

Hi, I’ve got a question for you all. I’m buying a car that within the last 4 months had a serpentine belt failure. It was taken to the dealership for it. They removed the carnage, did a “Crankcase smoke test” to make sure strands did get pulled through the front main. It says “OK” in the service right up. My question is, is that enough of a test and did the car get away with murder here? Would there be quick indications had they actually made it into the engine or is this more of a slow killer? The car has been driven since. I had the car PPId and they came back with the usual oil leaks and typical waist gate rattle but nothing majorly concerning. Cars been driven about 1500 miles since it shredded.

I have to road trip the car a decent distance to get it home. I’ve already ordered spark plugs and coils. Do I need to replace pulleys to get it home? I’m just trying to get it back to do the remaining maintenance. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppson977 View Post
I couldn’t figure out how to cross post sorry for the duplicate post.

Hi, I’ve got a question for you all. I’m buying a car that within the last 4 months had a serpentine belt failure. It was taken to the dealership for it. They removed the carnage, did a “Crankcase smoke test” to make sure strands did get pulled through the front main. It says “OK” in the service right up. My question is, is that enough of a test and did the car get away with murder here? Would there be quick indications had they actually made it into the engine or is this more of a slow killer? The car has been driven since. I had the car PPId and they came back with the usual oil leaks and typical waist gate rattle but nothing majorly concerning. Cars been driven about 1500 miles since it shredded.

I have to road trip the car a decent distance to get it home. I’ve already ordered spark plugs and coils. Do I need to replace pulleys to get it home? I’m just trying to get it back to do the remaining maintenance. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Pulling the Valve Cover and checking, and flushing the oil and checking for any bits would be a good idea.

When doing the belts, pulleys should be done too. Crank seals should be checked too in my opinion.

Mine were ingested, engine survived though, mechanic managed to get pretty much all it out and did an oil change.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket was leaking, so probably what caused the belt to slip and get ingested, previous owners didn't pay much attention to maintenence and I had leaks through every possible gasket, Valve Cover gasket, OFHG Sump gasket, crank seals, water pump, you name it lol. Since sorting them, car has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
eppson977
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Pulling the Valve Cover and checking, and flushing the oil and checking for any bits would be a good idea.

When doing the belts, pulleys should be done too. Crank seals should be checked too in my opinion.

Mine were ingested, engine survived though, mechanic managed to get pretty much all it out and did an oil change.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket was leaking, so probably what caused the belt to slip and get ingested, previous owners didn't pay much attention to maintenence and I had leaks through every possible gasket, Valve Cover gasket, OFHG Sump gasket, crank seals, water pump, you name it lol. Since sorting them, car has been fine.
Thanks for the response!

The cause of the break was a loose PS pump according to the service write up. First break happened on startup. He stopped immediately and had it towed. Second break happen about a month later and he cleared out as much belt as possible and checked around the crank pulley. He drove a half mile home and had it towed back to BMW. He says no leaks on the front main seal and nothing obvious in a recent oil change.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
wholepailofwater
Rep
Drives: Bunch of Bmw's

I would drop the oil pan and check for pieces of the belt, in the pan and in the oil pick up tube. I personally have seen this cause a complete engine failure, after getting "repaired". The owner of the vehicle shredded the belt. The shop they brought it to, slapped on a new belt and sent them on their way. A couple months later complete engine failure, due to no oil pressure. The shop pulled the engine put in a replacement engine. And then opened up the failed engine. There were pieces of the belt almost everywhere in the engine, most pieces were in the oil pan and pick up tube. The car did not leak any oil thru the front seal, it seemed like it was fine. Sometimes the belt gets sucked thru the front seal and doesn't cause any noticeable damage to the seal.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppson977 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post

Thanks for the response!

The cause of the break was a loose PS pump according to the service write up. First break happened on startup. He stopped immediately and had it towed. Second break happen about a month later and he cleared out as much belt as possible and checked around the crank pulley. He drove a half mile home and had it towed back to BMW. He says no leaks on the front main seal and nothing obvious in a recent oil change.
If the front main seal is not leaking, the belt probably did not make it through. 99% of the time if the belt makes it through the seal, you will most definitely get a leak. That said, I'd say you are very lucky. I'd probably get a crank seal plate & update your PS pulley to an all aluminum one. I'd even put blue locktite on the threads of the 3 PS pump bolts & torque to spec. It may be time to replace the engine & trans mounts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
wholepailofwater
Rep
Drives: Bunch of Bmw's

After what i saw, if i have a n54 or n55 that shreds the belt. I would not hesitate to drop the pan and make sure all pieces of the belt are removed. The front seal did not leak or show any signs of damage, yet the oil pick tube was jammed full of belt shreds.

I'm pretty sure dropping the subframe to check the oil pan is cheaper than a engine replacement. The oil pan gasket is prob leaking anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #7
eppson977
Rep

Just a quick update - car is beautiful. All of the usual leaks. Got it home and immediately changed the valve cover and oil/filter - among a bunch of other things. I have seen absolutely zero indication of ingestion. I plan to replace the oil pan gasket - already have it. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0