BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Alpina XB7 - opinion

08-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Alpina XB7 - opinion

Hi everyone,

My 2022 Alpina XB7 in Alpina Blue Metallic is expected to arrive mid or late November and wanted to see if I can get opinion on a few changes I am planning to do after delivery. Your opinion and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be my first BMW and I am excited to be joining the club.

Here are the changes I am looking to make:

First I want to start with the exterior chrome. I don't mind it if it was just a little because it does look classy and luxurious but I am not a fan of it especially with the huge front grill. I am looking to change the color on all chrome pieces to black. What do you think about the exhaust pipes and the ALPINA XB7 badging on the tailgate? Should I go black on them as well or leave them as is. I do prefer black but might be a little hard to read them since there wont be much contrast between blue and black. Also what do you think about the 23" wheels. I really like them as is. Should I go black on them too?

The other change would be regarding a winter set wheels and tires.
Would you recommend going with 22" or 21"? I am not a fan of the 21" Alpina wheels and currently looking for aftermarket options. Any suggestions on brand as well? Was planning on getting black ones for the winter set and leave the 23" Alpina in the original color.

And lastly I wanted to ask about getting PPF. Would you recommend it? If Yes, should I do full PPF or just parts of the car? I have not decided yet if I am going to keep the car for 3-4 years or longer. All depends on how I feel after owning the car for a little bit.

Thank you in advance and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I like what this guy did

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27915672
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Me too, but he was able to do it because he is in Germany and was able to order it like that from Alpina. I wish we had the same option available in the US. I think the wheels in the original color would still look nice as well. I am already shopping for black wheels for my winter set and I would like to have them in different color for winter and summer. Just curious what it would look like if the badging stays chrome.

In some of the photos his car looks really dark blue as well. I guess it is the lighting during the day showing brighter blue and then darker on other pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

I’m personally a big fan of the clean OEM look and have a set of Alpina 21’s coming so I can put Scorpions on them for the winter. The blue is incredible, congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I’m personally a big fan of the clean OEM look and have a set of Alpina 21’s coming so I can put Scorpions on them for the winter. The blue is incredible, congratulations!
I am not a fan of aftermarket stuff either but on this particular car I want something different than the 21 inch Alpina wheels. They are really nice, just not what I am looking for.
I've seen pictures of your Alpina. It looks great. Congrats to you too!
Scorpions are really good in my opinion. I have 22' Scorpions on my current car and used them for the past 3 winters. Very happy with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
I am not a fan of aftermarket stuff either but on this particular car I want something different than the 21 inch Alpina wheels. They are really nice, just not what I am looking for.
I've seen pictures of your Alpina. It looks great. Congrats to you too!
Scorpions are really good in my opinion. I have 22' Scorpions on my current car and used them for the past 3 winters. Very happy with them so far.
Good to know. I had Blizzaks on my M5 a while ago but they didn’t seem to have as good of reviews compared to the Scorpions. I love the 23’s and living in Seattle we only really need winter tires for 4 months or so. I looked for aftermarket rims but couldn’t find anything I really liked.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #7
Bele
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

If alpina had not offered me the "Black Package" i would go that way for myself. I had ordered the black parts from BMW and changed the chrome to black with a friend.

For the exhaust pipes and the ALPINA XB7 badging in black i would write Alpina an email. I think if you can show them that you own an Alpina they will send you that stuff (for money).

For the winter tires, i ordered the Alpina ones in black. I'm also a little bit curious how they will look like. On pictures they are not my taste... We will see how it will look like in real life. But I'm also a "original" guy ;-)

I did a full PPF. The main reason for full vs partial was the person who uses a key or .... on my car. If you have to paint a part in alpina blue, its hard to hit that same color again. My painter for my last alpina did not hit the color and i saw it always But for me this is also the first time going PPF. In a few years i could tell you, if it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bele View Post
If alpina had not offered me the "Black Package" i would go that way for myself. I had ordered the black parts from BMW and changed the chrome to black with a friend.

For the exhaust pipes and the ALPINA XB7 badging in black i would write Alpina an email. I think if you can show them that you own an Alpina they will send you that stuff (for money).

For the winter tires, i ordered the Alpina ones in black. I'm also a little bit curious how they will look like. On pictures they are not my taste... We will see how it will look like in real life. But I'm also a "original" guy ;-)

I did a full PPF. The main reason for full vs partial was the person who uses a key or .... on my car. If you have to paint a part in alpina blue, its hard to hit that same color again. My painter for my last alpina did not hit the color and i saw it always But for me this is also the first time going PPF. In a few years i could tell you, if it was worth it
I am taking it to a shop for customization. No way I am doing it myself or with the help of a friend. I wish I was handy enough to do it but I will leave it to the pros. The chrome they might vinyl wrap it I guess. The grill would be pained and the badging they will order in black. Not decided on the wheels yet. Might leave them in the original color and only have black wheels for my winter set.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright guys,

5 weeks left until scheduled production week ( if no delays of course ).

Need an opinion on my winter wheels set. I have already chosen them in Glossy Black finish but not sure what color to go for the center caps. Here is a link for the wheels and it has option to chose the finish. https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-4t/
Center caps color I can choose from are red, blue and black.

Again, the exterior color is Alpina Blue.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Keep it simple …Black.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright guys,

5 weeks left until scheduled production week ( if no delays of course ).

Need an opinion on my winter wheels set. I have already chosen them in Glossy Black finish but not sure what color to go for the center caps. Here is a link for the wheels and it has option to chose the finish. https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-4t/
Center caps color I can choose from are red, blue and black.

Again, the exterior color is Alpina Blue.

Any suggestions?
I bought a set of the 21” Alpina wheels and I’m getting Pirelli Scorpions put on those. I like the OEM look though…
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Keep it simple …Black.
Yeah, that's what I went with.

Plus, I can always order different color center caps if I want to change them.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #13
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I bought a set of the 21” Alpina wheels and I’m getting Pirelli Scorpions put on those. I like the OEM look though…
I am putting Pirelli Scorpions as well. As far as the wheels go I don't like to put aftermarket stuff in general but not a fan of the 21" wheels to be honest. They are nice but I prefer putting something different.
Appreciate 1
PNWM3545.50
      10-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #14
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally some movement. Was stuck on "Order received and we are making space in the production schedule"for 4 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:36 AM   #15
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Status to Production Begins was updated on Oct 20. Anyone knows how long from here until Ready for transport or At dealership in the Midwest?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 01:30 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Status to Production Begins was updated on Oct 20. Anyone knows how long from here until Ready for transport or At dealership in the Midwest?
That's awesome. Maybe 2-3 months??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #17
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Are you serious??? Did you mean weeks?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #18
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Production begins can last 1-3 weeks. Shipping to east coast has been pretty fast, but for midwest, I would add another 2-3 weeks from the time assembly is complete.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Production begins ≠ vehicle production.

Mine stayed in that state for about 3-4 weeks and then was built in a few days, so currently its essentially in line to be made and the parts are being ordered now for your vehicle.

Also, with the threads going around, did you lose touchscreen on your vehicle? I wanted to see if BMW is moving the parts up the line towards the Alpina models.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #20
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you dmanb2b and G39x for the info.

I had week 44 for production (Oct 31-Nov 6). The car entered production on Oct 20. I just called BMW Genius and they said it should be completed by Nov 6 although I do expect delays from what we have seen lately.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #21
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
Production begins ≠ vehicle production.

Mine stayed in that state for about 3-4 weeks and then was built in a few days, so currently its essentially in line to be made and the parts are being ordered now for your vehicle.

Also, with the threads going around, did you lose touchscreen on your vehicle? I wanted to see if BMW is moving the parts up the line towards the Alpina models.
Initially I was worried about the B&W Sound System since it has been removed from X7. Although it was removed from Alpina models too a few weeks ago for new orders and not available to select it as an option when you build it online I was told it is still in my order. I have not been notified yet by BMW about the Touchscreen being removed or any other options on my order. Hopefully it stays that way because there are options if I don't get that would be a deal breaker for me. I assume they are either moving the parts to accommodate the higher trim models or I guess am getting all options I selected because I placed my order 5 months ago. Have no idea to be honest. All I know is 2021 and especially 2022 models might not be the best production cars to buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post