BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Bmw park assist

I have just taken delivery of the IX3 this week. I am not sure about this park assistant function. I am hoping someone more knowledgeable on this forum could help me out.

I noticed that every time you select reverse park assistance button near the drive select appears green and on the screen you see the camera and on the top right side Park assistant is checked. As soon as i lift the foot off the brake the damn car reverses quite fast and also the same happens if i select the drive, the car just moves off forward.

Does anyone if this is how its supposed to happens because its quite unnerving to suddenly find the car moving off on its own accord. Just to be clear I do not have my foot on the pedals Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

When it moves itself, is the steering turning to move the vehicle into a parking space? Or, is it simply moving fast and straight? If the former, it may be working fine. If the latter, you're not actually engaged to park. Also, too fast to one person may not be too fast to another and I don't find mine moving "too" fast. If you've received confirmation that it is finding a space and ready to park, you should have received instructions to push and hold the parking assist button until parking has concluded. I had to play around with mine a bit before getting the hang of it. Lot's of smart people herein, and I'm sure you're one of them. However, if you haven't watched videos on this, here are a couple. They're pretty accurate.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for explaining that to me. So this happens whenever I select reverse and it does not instruct me to do anything. It just kind of moves and the steering wheel moves on its own. If I was looking to park I should press the "P" button and then it will find a place and follow the instructions. But nothing like shows up. In terms of speed, well I may be exaggerating a bit but still when I select reverse it should not move unless I am looking to park or instructed by the car.

When I place the car in reverse the "P" button comes on green and on the screen top right on the infotainment system the park assist is checked. Even if I press the "P" to switch it off and untick the park assist on the infotainment system the car still moves.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

The forward/reverse movement of the iX3 can be a bit disconcerting at first. You have to guard/use the foot brake. I read somewhere that the ‘D’ and ‘R’ modes in the iX3 has been designed to match what happens in an ICE vehicle with an automatic gearbox when ‘D’ or ‘R’ is selected; that is, the car creeps forward/backwards.

You could try it in ‘B’ mode. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with ‘one pedal’ driving given that is how it works in the i3.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

The "B" mode is fantastic in city driving and I think it has more regenerative braking than the i3. This could be because of the weight of this beast that gives you that feeling.

You have a good point maybe that is what it is. Replicating the "D" and "R" of an ice car. Just have to keep the foot on the brake just in case. Thank you. Other than that its a really good car.

I'm glad I got this over the Audi Q4. Way better quality wise. Its pretty efficient too. It had 249 miles (full charge) when I took delivery and done 80 miles since mixture of city and country driving. Showing 150miles left.

Pity they did not make use of the front for loading but then again neither does the Audi Q4 and that is built from the ground up.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I've currently got an Auto diesel X3 so will be interesting to see how the D/R compare on the iX3!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
I've currently got an Auto diesel X3 so will be interesting to see how the D/R compare on the iX3!
In truth, it is slightly annoying when approaching roundabouts in ‘D’ as the automatic adaptive braking works well and then the car goes into coast. It’s fine if no stop is required but….

‘B’ is better in such situations but I am basing that on 6 years of one pedal driving.
Appreciate 1
Archer-s247.00
      09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Lol yeah 7 years here on 2x i3's. Think the D selection is okay for motorway driving but for city driving B mode is the best. The headlights on this are amazing in the night. That voice assistant is good too. You can control all four windows adjust the heating and navigation and the radio station. it won't work on the sunroof. Saves a lot of fiddling with buttons.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Just don’t keep relying on the Drive Assistance when approaching a roundabout, even in B mode … first time it happened it really creeped me out when the car revved up to the previously selected speedlimit in the curve :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
robfen
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 and 550e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
I have just taken delivery of the IX3 this week. I am not sure about this park assistant function. I am hoping someone more knowledgeable on this forum could help me out.

I noticed that every time you select reverse park assistance button near the drive select appears green and on the screen you see the camera and on the top right side Park assistant is checked. As soon as i lift the foot off the brake the damn car reverses quite fast and also the same happens if i select the drive, the car just moves off forward.

Does anyone if this is how its supposed to happens because its quite unnerving to suddenly find the car moving off on its own accord. Just to be clear I do not have my foot on the pedals Thanks
Mine does the same thing. I don't think it is able to identify a parking space and heads off looking for one in whatever direction forward or reverse you have engaged
I have never got mine to park itself yet
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Sounds like a trip to your dealership and a visit with the "genius" there is in order. If you can't get something to work on your new car, it is either operator-error or defective. Both are easily remediated.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

It works quite well when the driver knows what he is doing? I was told that you do run the risk of scratching the paint off the alloys.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #13
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfen View Post
Mine does the same thing. I don't think it is able to identify a parking space and heads off looking for one in whatever direction forward or reverse you have engaged
I have never got mine to park itself yet
I took mine to the dealer to check this out as the car kind of moves in random fashion in reverse and forward. The dealer had a look and said he was not sure but kind of said yes this was how its supposed to work without elaborating. I left the dealership clueless.

So in my case when you put the car in reverse and lift your foot off the pedal it just darts back and then when you select drive it moves forward with out any input from me. In both instances the "p" button is green and the park assist is checked but even if I uncheck the park assist it still does the same. My i3 never did this. So yeah totally clueless.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I've just ordered mine, but while test driving had to work out the park assist when parked it at home.

The way I did it (coming from a 225xe) I assumed would be like the 225,but it's nothing like it. I've got into a habit of pressing the park assist button coming up my road as know I want it to park. Drive past my parking spot, and the scxreen pops up with the P icon on the screen. I tapped the screen P and popped it in reverse, the P turns green on screen and says to take hands off the wheel and monitor speed etc, and it just parked itself. Seemed to work just fine. Haven't had chance to try the parking lot reverse parking mode yet, so that's just parallel parking, but should pick mine up this month so will let you know when I do try it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #15
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

@JAV64 did you have Auto Hold on? I find with that on it's quite jerky
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
@JAV64 did you have Auto Hold on? I find with that on it's quite jerky
Yes I have used the Auto hold but I don't find that Jerky. Its pretty good as you just press on the pedal and car moves and holds on an uphill.
Appreciate 0