BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Strong coolant smell through vents/outside after startup

09-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Strong coolant smell through vents/outside after startup

Hi all,

I just had a 2020 M550xi delivered this week (wed) and tried driving it for the first time yesterday (thursday). When I got in the car an Alert of Low Coolant, Fill immediately to prevent engine damage was on the screen.

Today (friday) I called my local BMW dealership and they told me to fill it up with water and drive it over. It took 3 bottles. Once there they did a pressure test and said it was good to go, but after driving it I am smelling coolant through the vents and outside when its parked in my garage. The service guy told me to drive it and if doesnt go away to bring it back Tuesday for more inspection. They will give me a loaner.

He also told me these 4.4 V8's regularly need 1 quart of coolant every 5k miles and usually some oil. Is that correct ? Seems crazy to me.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
The car is 2 years old and has 10,600 miles. Doesnt seem like it should be doing this.

Thanks, Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

I have the same issue. No car should use/lose coolant, period!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
akashkotecha
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, G30 M550i, F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesteen View Post
Hi all,

I just had a 2020 M550xi delivered this week (wed) and tried driving it for the first time yesterday (thursday). When I got in the car an Alert of Low Coolant, Fill immediately to prevent engine damage was on the screen.

Today (friday) I called my local BMW dealership and they told me to fill it up with water and drive it over. It took 3 bottles. Once there they did a pressure test and said it was good to go, but after driving it I am smelling coolant through the vents and outside when its parked in my garage. The service guy told me to drive it and if doesnt go away to bring it back Tuesday for more inspection. They will give me a loaner.

He also told me these 4.4 V8's regularly need 1 quart of coolant every 5k miles and usually some oil. Is that correct ? Seems crazy to me.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
The car is 2 years old and has 10,600 miles. Doesnt seem like it should be doing this.

Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark,

I have the 2018 M550i with a dinan tune on it and both before and after the tune it did ask for a quart of oil about every 5k miles or so, depending on how hard you push the car. The car has always been serviced by bmw and they are aware of that and say it is okay. The car takes over 10 quarts so a quart is not too much really.

I owned the f series 550 prior to this and that also asked for oil every now and then, same v8 twin turbo engine. I did have a coolant leak on that car that was fixed by bmw at a cost of over 3000$ and long after the fix i could smell coolant through the vents, not pleasant for a luxury car. It takes a while for burnt coolant to stop smelling, leaves a white/green residue. Im not an expert but maybe an engine bay wash will help get rid of the odour faster.

Cheers and hope you enjoy the car, it is a pleasure to drive
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashkotecha View Post

I owned the f series 550 prior to this and that also asked for oil every now and then, same v8 twin turbo engine. I did have a coolant leak on that car that was fixed by bmw at a cost of over 3000$ and long after the fix i could smell coolant through the vents, not pleasant for a luxury car. It takes a while for burnt coolant to stop smelling, leaves a white/green residue. Im not an expert but maybe an engine bay wash will help get rid of the odour faster.

Cheers and hope you enjoy the car, it is a pleasure to drive
Thanks for the information. I changed the primary radiator cap, and things seem to be good. Every now and then I do get a "wiff" of coolant smell, but not as bad as before. Hoping I dont get the low coolant warning again. I've only driven in 330 miles so far since ive owned it (1 month), but it sure is a BLAST to drive *pun intended*

Appreciate 0