E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, My instrument cluster randomly went out??

09-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Cyless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Help, My instrument cluster randomly went out??

I am new to this so sorry if I make any mistakes. So just yesterday I drove my 2007 e90 BMW 335xi and the instrument cluster was working just fine but now I get in my car to drive it and it doesnt work at all. My OBD II socket works just fine. I need help please, I just bought it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
Cyless
Private First Class
Rep

My instrument cluster

So I started my car this morning and now my instrument cluster is working for some reason. Im glad its working right now im just worried its gonna go out again. I'll keep you updated.

Yeah by the way can anyone tell me why my Idrive keeps saying there is a door open when there is not. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Hey Cyless welcome!

To clarify what do you mean by "doesn't work at all". Like the gauges don't work or just the displays? Is there no backlight? The more information you can provide with as many specific details as possible will help us point you in the right direction.

There are sort of infinite possibilities at this point that could point you to where to even begin looking. Step 1 would be to get a good BMW specific scan tool theres plenty of options out there from commercial tools like sold on Amazon to phone based app tools like bimmergeeks protool or laptop based applications you can download like INPA or ISTA.

A BMW specific scan tool might be able to read a code for an electronic fault or loss of communication to a specific module that could cause that issue. If you are new to the BMW life a tool like this will pay for itself many times over and is a great investment for you.

For your door issue, each door has a door contact sensor/trigger that is pushed in when the door is closed you could have one that is damanged physically, disconnected or just failed entirely. Look at whatever door is showing as being open and ensure the pin pushes in and out correctly and is detected by the car as "closed" I also found that some models needed to have the FRM reprogrammed due to the same issue but unsure if your car fall under that service bulletin. I would have to research more and well... I'm lazy right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Apparently cluster issues are not that uncommon. Here's a sticky about it in the 'coding' section; not sure it applies here, but just in case it comes back:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586614
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
ISSA335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Currently having the same issue, my turns off and on while driving, getting a CDA8 code. Tried checking all the fuses etc to no avail
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSA335 View Post
Currently having the same issue, my turns off and on while driving, getting a CDA8 code.
Tried checking all the fuses etc to no avail
It would be helpful to identify WHAT turns off & on, and WHAT, if anything, remains ON. Do Tach & Speedo go to "0"?
Does Outside Temp display remain shown? Time as well? What about Fuel Level? B/C Buttons on Turn Signal Lever?

Fuses do NOT normally function intermittently, on/ off/ on, etc. Attached is ISTA ScreenPrint of KOMBI Wiring Diagram
with Lines ID showing function of the 7 wires. Note Outside Temp display & B/C buttons are ONLY hard-wired functions.

All other inputs are via CAN Bus, K_CAN_H (Orange/Green wire) & K_CAN_L (Green wire). If the K-CAN Bus Inputs
are intermittent, then I would check the Connector X11175 on rear of Instrument Cluster, and also Connector
X14272 (Black) at the JBE, per the attached Location & Connector View ScreenPrints. Check for any corroded/
damaged Pins/ Sockets, clean & reassemble. These locations and Fuse identification are for LATE 2007 335i,
built AFTER 3/1/2007. You want to check Power Supply (pin #9) and Ground (pin #18) as well as K-CAN pins.
If you have an EARLY 2007 335i, those items differ, so post back with your Last-7 Characters of VIN.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-20-2021, 12:50 AM   #7
ISSA335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISSA335 View Post
Currently having the same issue, my turns off and on while driving, getting a CDA8 code.
Tried checking all the fuses etc to no avail
It would be helpful to identify WHAT turns off & on, and WHAT, if anything, remains ON. Do Tach & Speedo go to "0"?
Does Outside Temp display remain shown? Time as well? What about Fuel Level? B/C Buttons on Turn Signal Lever?

Fuses do NOT normally function intermittently, on/ off/ on, etc. Attached is ISTA ScreenPrint of KOMBI Wiring Diagram
with Lines ID showing function of the 7 wires. Note Outside Temp display & B/C buttons are ONLY hard-wired functions.

All other inputs are via CAN Bus, K_CAN_H (Orange/Green wire) & K_CAN_L (Green wire). If the K-CAN Bus Inputs
are intermittent, then I would check the Connector X11175 on rear of Instrument Cluster, and also Connector
X14272 (Black) at the JBE, per the attached Location & Connector View ScreenPrints. Check for any corroded/
damaged Pins/ Sockets, clean & reassemble. These locations and Fuse identification are for LATE 2007 335i,
built AFTER 3/1/2007. You want to check Power Supply (pin #9) and Ground (pin #18) as well as K-CAN pins.
If you have an EARLY 2007 335i, those items differ, so post back with your Last-7 Characters of VIN.
George
Everything turns off/on. The entire cluster along with the radio lights. The audio from the radio continues to play as well as AC continues uneffected but all light and everything turns off. All the gauges fall to 0, then return to what they should be, every service light comes on then turns back off till it repeats the cycle. I know fuses don't really go intermittently but I just wanted to double check everything.

Currently I've unplugged and cleaned the plug for the gauge cluster, checked all fuses related to gauge cluster OBD and looked over the power distribution box and nothing really looks out of place.

I will double check all the wiring you have referred too and check back. Just weird to me the radio turns off as well but my build date is a later model 07 so everything you outlined should apply.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

If Radio Display goes out (A/C Control Panel display too?) along with KOMBI functions, that suggests a K-CAN bus issue.
Any loose connection or short to ground in that "bus loop" can cause communication issues between Modules.

That could be confirmed by reading Fault Codes in ALL Modules, and if you have multiple modules with "Message Errors"
(no message received from 'X' Module) then almost certainly an issue with one of the Orange/Green, or Green wires,
or Pin/Socket at one of the connectors. While Fault Codes will NOT precisely identify the location of the fault, they
MAY offer some clues.

My "layman's concept" of the K-CAN bus is that it is like a computer network, where each Module/Computer sends
and receives signals via the "cable" (Orange/Green & Green wires).

Any electrical issue that disrupts or scrambles those signals causes abnormal Module behavior. Voltage spikes due to
faulty Alternator Voltage Regulator can cause a "Light Show" on the Instrument Cluster, but that is NOT what
you are reporting. Your issue sounds MORE like a wiring or connector issue in one of the bus wires.
ISTA SSP of K-CAN bus is attached. I would begin with the X14272 connector at the JBE, per earlier Connector View.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #9
Cyless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Hey Cyless welcome!

To clarify what do you mean by "doesn't work at all". Like the gauges don't work or just the displays? Is there no backlight? The more information you can provide with as many specific details as possible will help us point you in the right direction.

There are sort of infinite possibilities at this point that could point you to where to even begin looking. Step 1 would be to get a good BMW specific scan tool theres plenty of options out there from commercial tools like sold on Amazon to phone based app tools like bimmergeeks protool or laptop based applications you can download like INPA or ISTA.

A BMW specific scan tool might be able to read a code for an electronic fault or loss of communication to a specific module that could cause that issue. If you are new to the BMW life a tool like this will pay for itself many times over and is a great investment for you.

For your door issue, each door has a door contact sensor/trigger that is pushed in when the door is closed you could have one that is damanged physically, disconnected or just failed entirely. Look at whatever door is showing as being open and ensure the pin pushes in and out correctly and is detected by the car as "closed" I also found that some models needed to have the FRM reprogrammed due to the same issue but unsure if your car fall under that service bulletin. I would have to research more and well... I'm lazy right now.
It just wouldn't work at all, nothing was lit up it was dead but I unplugged a bunch of fuses and put them back in. THen I waited overnight and the dash worked and its been working ever since. So I presume whatever it was is gone now (hopefully). But now im having a struggle finding where the problem to my P0012 code is 😔.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
javeci01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyless View Post
It just wouldn't work at all, nothing was lit up it was dead but I unplugged a bunch of fuses and put them back in. THen I waited overnight and the dash worked and its been working ever since. So I presume whatever it was is gone now (hopefully). But now im having a struggle finding where the problem to my P0012 code is 😔.
Same thing happened to me, but for about two weeks. That was a year ago and all good since then. I note my car was out during some heavy rain, and the next day the cluster did not work as you described. I tried the fuses as well, but that didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #11
Cyless
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeci01 View Post
Same thing happened to me, but for about two weeks. That was a year ago and all good since then. I note my car was out during some heavy rain, and the next day the cluster did not work as you described. I tried the fuses as well, but that didn't work.
That's exactly what happened with me, my car was out in extremely heavy rain then I went out there a few hours later and the instrument cluster wasn't working but like I said its good now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
wdwyerr516
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90 320i

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Hi, sorry for reviving an old thread but I’ve been have issues too where my cluster is on receiving power with all emergency lights on (no LED Screen or backlighting) and when I flash high beams they brighten but nothing else.
Any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 03:06 PM   #13
wdwyerr516
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90 320i

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwyerr516 View Post
Hi, sorry for reviving an old thread but I’ve been have issues too where my cluster is on receiving power with all emergency lights on (no LED Screen or backlighting) and when I flash high beams they brighten but nothing else.
Any help is appreciated
Here’s a photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0