E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > XHP update

10-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

XHP update

XHP just dropped an update!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Drag race mode eliminates torque reduction altogether and increases clutch wear by 4X!

Staying in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic is nice. I've also noticed XHP have added several preset shift points (relaxed, relaxed+, sportive and sportive+) with the option to also store 3 different custom shift points.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

xHP really giving it all with the drag race mode. No timing drops or torque loss! This will be very hard on your clutches for sure lol. Check out this log I pulled on my 94 petrol tune. 2nd gear launch

https://datazap.me/u/johnnyb12/log-1...ata=3-16-20-26
      10-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Drag race mode eliminates torque reduction altogether and increases clutch wear by 4X!

Staying in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic is nice. I've also noticed XHP have added several preset shift points (relaxed, relaxed+, sportive and sportive+) with the option to also store 3 different custom shift points.
I assume the drag race mode it's just to be flashed before the track and not DD?
I would be curious about these presets! Wonder if any of it can be changed on the fly or if you need to flash each time.
      10-14-2021, 11:24 PM   #5
Godzilx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Seems very interesting. Will have to wait and see how other peoples' transmissions hold up before I try this. Seems like it would be great for the track- lots of power loss on shifts due to the torque reduction which they seem to have removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I assume the drag race mode it's just to be flashed before the track and not DD?
I would be curious about these presets! Wonder if any of it can be changed on the fly or if you need to flash each time.
Switching presets would require a flash before they are active.

Drag race mode - this is what XHP says...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #7
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
xHP really giving it all with the drag race mode. No timing drops or torque loss! This will be very hard on your clutches for sure lol. Check out this log I pulled on my 94 petrol tune. 2nd gear launch

https://datazap.me/u/johnnyb12/log-1...ata=3-16-20-26
clutches must be screaming in agony lol
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

That looks like a cool feature....but those ZF 6HP21 transmissions are only rated at something like 250 ft/lbs of torque......most people are close to putting double that much torque through them or more.

Not sure I want to slam into each gear with no torque reduction between shifts on a transmission that's already being overloaded with more power than it's been designed for.

Thanks....but I'll take the fraction of a second in 1/4mile et reduction in trade for a transmission that (hopefully) isn't going to come apart on me

Seems like a good way to really tear things up......
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I put a good bottle on the level of structural damages this will give to an 21.
Been in the position to conduct some thermal testing on such gearbox, this will kill them.

In average your gearbox hovers around 10-15 degrees behind your engine temp, the oil in the gearbox is not doing well when overheated (once), it should be replaced after such an event because it's becomes very fast very powerless in terms of keeping your gearbox lubricated.
When either your gearbox oil or your hardware is not (longer) in a good shape the wear of your gearbox will go through the roof compared to a gearbox in a good state.

A bit similar with tires, when they start to wear, traction will be suboptimum, more slip, more wear..

For those who are interested, there is equipment from ZF to read out all peak events measured during the life of the box. It will for example show each moment of overheated oil temps. Information not pushed to the ECU of the car. The gearbox overheated warning is to my measures triggered way beyond safe oil temps if you consider the oil vendor temp recommendations.

On the other hand, it will be damn fast :-)
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
That looks like a cool feature....but those ZF 6HP21 transmissions are only rated at something like 250 ft/lbs of torque......most people are close to putting double that much torque through them or more.

Not sure I want to slam into each gear with no torque reduction between shifts on a transmission that's already being overloaded with more power than it's been designed for.

Thanks....but I'll take the fraction of a second in 1/4mile et reduction in trade for a transmission that (hopefully) isn't going to come apart on me

Seems like a good way to really tear things up......
6hp21 is rated at 250lbft?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
6hp21 is rated at 250lbft?
Sorry, I was wrong. ZF rates the 6HP21 at 332 ft/lbs. I bet most FBO N54's are making 500ft/lbs or more. Not sure I want to abuse the transmission any more than I have to with crazy hard shifts and no torque reduction.....sounds like a sure fire way to kill it in a hurry.

Especially just to gain a tenth in the 1/4 mile....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #12
spacey_n54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Sorry, I was wrong. ZF rates the 6HP21 at 332 ft/lbs. I bet most FBO N54's are making 500ft/lbs or more. Not sure I want to abuse the transmission any more than I have to with crazy hard shifts and no torque reduction.....sounds like a sure fire way to kill it in a hurry.

For daily spirited driving, do you think it saves the trans at all to manually let up between shifts for a brief second? I notice if I'm in manual mode and let off throttle slightly on a 3-4 shift, it takes much longer for the shift to complete and it's ready for more throttle.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey_n54 View Post
For daily spirited driving, do you think it saves the trans at all to manually let up between shifts for a brief second? I notice if I'm in manual mode and let off throttle slightly on a 3-4 shift, it takes much longer for the shift to complete and it's ready for more throttle.
I'd be willing to be that the best thing to do it just let the transmission do its own thing when it shifts....it reduces torque from the motor for a split second during shifts, so that should help. I wouldn't bother trying to let off the gas between shifts....just drive it 😁
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #14
spacey_n54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
I'd be willing to be that the best thing to do it just let the transmission do its own thing when it shifts....it reduces torque from the motor for a split second during shifts, so that should help. I wouldn't bother trying to let off the gas between shifts....just drive it 😁
Will do. I saw this update come in on XHP the other day, and I just finished installing a replacement 6AT in my car not too long ago. Never dismissed something so quickly 😂
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I'm in the same mindset, no way am I going to be going through 4 x clutch wear just to get the fastest drag times.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #16
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's completely unnecessary, and will just slow down the shift.

Doing this on a single clutch transmission like the SMG made it smoother, but on a torque converter trans it wouldn't benefit the trans in any significant way.

Last edited by Saif2018; 10-20-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #17
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Will do. I saw this update come in on XHP the other day, and I just finished installing a replacement 6AT in my car not too long ago. Never dismissed something so quickly 😂
The move off from 2nd gear during traffic should be useful though, as well as the preset shift points and the ability to store custom shift maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #18
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's completely unnecessary, and will just slow down the shift.
I think you guys are missing the real physics of a gear shift in an automatic gear box.

Firstly, torque reduction is nice when you have slow soft shifts taking 500-800 milliseconds to execute. The clutches are slipping for a really long time and generating a ton of heat. As you start speeding up the shift to 200-300 milliseconds, the inertia of the rotating masses starts to become a bigger factor than the power produced by the engine. Think about the engine, flywheel and torque converter spinning at 7000 rpm and the gear shift slowing at all down to 4500RPM in a quarter second.

If you have enough command in the clutches to make that shift, the stress on the rest of the drivetrain is brutal. I'd be more worried about output shafts, gears and driveshafts than wet clutches, they won't slip long enough to generate much heat.

My two cents
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #19
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah good point. It they do say it's going to wear the clutches 4x faster......so something has got to be causing that extra wear. I wish they would give more details instead of being so vaige about it.

What do "drag setting" actually do? Boost line pressure even more? Get rid of all torque reduction? Other things that might be going on? Those ZF transmissions are pretty complicated as far as what they can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #20
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I think you guys are missing the real physics of a gear shift in an automatic gear box.

Firstly, torque reduction is nice when you have slow soft shifts taking 500-800 milliseconds to execute. The clutches are slipping for a really long time and generating a ton of heat. As you start speeding up the shift to 200-300 milliseconds, the inertia of the rotating masses starts to become a bigger factor than the power produced by the engine. Think about the engine, flywheel and torque converter spinning at 7000 rpm and the gear shift slowing at all down to 4500RPM in a quarter second.

If you have enough command in the clutches to make that shift, the stress on the rest of the drivetrain is brutal. I'd be more worried about output shafts, gears and driveshafts than wet clutches, they won't slip long enough to generate much heat.

My two cents
From what I understood, it's not just nice or necessary for slow trans, Some degree of torque reduction is a necessity in the ZF gearboxes even the latest 8 speed ones, and easing off the gas in a torque converter trans for upshift is completely unnecessary and doesn't save the trans. Removing TQ reduction altogether increases load on clutch pack several fold as stated by XHP.

Might be ok with a one off launch but multiple launches with 4 x clutch wear will no doubt fry them quickly but yeah other parts of the trans also likely to break as you stated.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #21
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah good point. It they do say it's going to wear the clutches 4x faster......so something has got to be causing that extra wear. I wish they would give more details instead of being so vaige about it.

What do "drag setting" actually do? Boost line pressure even more? Get rid of all torque reduction? Other things that might be going on? Those ZF transmissions are pretty complicated as far as what they can do.
Gets rid of virtually all torque reduction, no timing pulls between shifts as a result. Look at the log posted
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #22
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Gets rid of virtually all torque reduction, no timing pulls between shifts as a result. Look at the log posted
Yep...So is 4 times the wear on your transmission worth a tenth in the 1/4? Not for me. Give it 6 months of guys running that "drag" option...and let's see what happens. If there are no issues with people burning up transmissions..I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0