E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clunking noise After wheel bearing replacement!

10-15-2021, 02:23 AM   #1
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i

Clunking noise After wheel bearing replacement!

Did a rear wheel bearing replacement on both sides on my 09 E90 335i

Did the job, put everything back together. Backed it out the shop and had a small clunking noise coming from the driver rear. Was pretty late at night, parked the car up gonna look at it tomorrow. But just wanted to know if anybody has had this issue. Before the wheel bearings replacement never had this issue. Both axles were out which is mandatory for wheel bearing replacement and put back in correctly
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 02:28 AM   #2
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
Did a rear wheel bearing replacement on both sides on my 09 E90 335i

Did the job, put everything back together. Backed it out the shop and had a small clunking noise coming from the driver rear. Was pretty late at night, parked the car up gonna look at it tomorrow. But just wanted to know if anybody has had this issue. Before the wheel bearings replacement never had this issue. Both axles were out which is mandatory for wheel bearing replacement and put back in correctly
Also before doing the wheel bearing I had the normal abs lights on my dash, did the job put new wheel speed sensors, lights all go away. After a few moments of driving in the parking lot out in front of the shop i hear the clunking noise limp it back inside slowly. Lights show up on the dash again!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
PS2N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

considering you bolted everything back up correctly and no issues in drums:

when does it make the clunking noise? (straight drive, over bumper, body roll, turning, etc..) need more info, but to start, if ur rear control arm bushings were old and about to go, by lifiting car while doing the bearing job, it might of finally gave way and now you hearing it clunk (only if over bumps and body roll).

ABS light: sounds like you had a bad sensor or shot bearing mag. strips before so there was ABS light on dash. if you swapped sensor and put in new bearing, and car ran for 1-3mins and then threw a ABS light, check if you installed the bearing the correct way or if seated all the way back (the mag strip is only on 1 side). also if you got cheap china bearings, the mag strip ussually an issue or none existent.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzero View Post
considering you bolted everything back up correctly and no issues in drums:

when does it make the clunking noise? (straight drive, over bumper, body roll, turning, etc..) need more info, but to start, if ur rear control arm bushings were old and about to go, by lifiting car while doing the bearing job, it might of finally gave way and now you hearing it clunk (only if over bumps and body roll).

ABS light: sounds like you had a bad sensor or shot bearing mag. strips before so there was ABS light on dash. if you swapped sensor and put in new bearing, and car ran for 1-3mins and then threw a ABS light, check if you installed the bearing the correct way or if seated all the way back (the mag strip is only on 1 side). also if you got cheap china bearings, the mag strip ussually an issue or none existent.
The axle actually was broken, I guess when they were put back in we damaged them. Which was understandable we were rough when putting them back in it was tough to get In but the internals from the boot that's closer to the diff broke inside. What's absolutely insane is the fact that I replaced it today, and right after replacing it. The driver side broke the same way, so I've had enough tonight lmao. Time to replace the other one and be done! The wheel bearings I used are from FCP euro *** brand I don't cheap out on this car lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0