BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Question I just ordered the ix3, what to expect now?

I made the decision to sell my Tesla and get the BMW ix3. I called up a few dealers until I found one that had the configuration and colour I had in mind (Grey M sport pro). I reserved it and the dealer has confirmed that its indeed been reserved. He says that the car will it at their dealership around next week - could this actually be true? IÂ’m seeing some people here that have waited months for their car so I find it extremely strange that I could have mine just within a few days. Also, can someone tell me what should I expect? Thanks!

Feel free to ask why I decided to change car if anyone is interested!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

That's good news. it will be one of the first here in the UK. There are some still waiting for the older version. Hope you get it soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:16 AM   #3
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Must be a cancelled order / extra stock or something - if you ordered new then yes it's typically many months wait for a build (they are built in China)

Great car though - be prepared for the software to be a bit clunkier than Tesla but imo feels more like a traditional car - in fact if you didn't know it was electric when sitting in the cabin you wouldn't really know
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:04 AM   #4
GoingElectric
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
Go on then, I’m interested as to your reasons for changing. Interior materials and build quality by any chance? That was the reason why I couldn’t have gone for a Tesla myself…
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:08 AM   #5
GoingElectric
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
He says that the car will it at their dealership around next week - could this actually be true?
Sounds plausible for a car the dealer was expecting in anyway, but not for a factory order as that would be months. My neighbour took delivery of a blue iX3 M Sport last week so the face lifted models are definitely coming through now.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingElectric View Post
Quote:
Go on then, I’m interested as to your reasons for changing. Interior materials and build quality by any chance? That was the reason why I couldn’t have gone for a Tesla myself…
Build quality is one of them. I really miss having buttons for everything, you can't even adjust the speed of the wipers other then doing it through the screen. The auto wipers work based on a camera that has a neural engine and detects rain based on the imagine the sensor is seeing, in other words it never works properly. I don't think it ever worked like it should, most of the time the wipers just don't realise it's been raining or if they do realise there's rain, they fail to adjust the speed correctly almost 100% of the time.

Easy entry doesn't work 40% of the time even though I have the £150 physical key in my pocket that I got from tesla, there's times the door just won't open if I pull the handle

The Maps on the screen won't allow you to choose a route, there's no option other then to follow what the computer thinks is a right route which is ridiculous, it's a software thing but I'm done waiting any longer to have this issue addressed by tesla.

Cruise control is unusable. Tesla insists on using the autopilot for the cruise control rather then the dumb cruise control that just keeps the car rolling until you step on the break. Because of this the car does a lot of shadow breaking if it thinks it detected an obstacle during cruise control (such as a shadow of a bridge or a shadow of a truck in the opposite lane) it slams on the breaks, this is no joke though, I had this happen twice and never used the cruise feature since.

Range - real world range is around 200 miles, unless you drive it like a snail. Tesla Fans would say that you should drive conservatively but if I wanted to drive like that, I'd get a leaf or the Prius so that's a total BS.

Overall there a lot of nonsense and very little of what works (this being a super fast car is one of the things that work) which leaves me questioning why I spent £49k on this thing. Trying out the IX3 M Sport Pro just reminded me of what a car should feel like and that's why I went with it. Also it looks mean AF, something I prefer over the blobby looks of the tesla.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah I test drove a model S before ordering the iX3, yes the iX3 is slower in a straight line, but at least its fun in the corners, where the S was completely dead and boring. Oh and physical controls, why oh why are manufacturers of BEV's insisting on putting everything on the screen, sucks, finger memory always wins when driving
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
thecork
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingElectric View Post
Quote:
Go on then, I'm interested as to your reasons for changing. Interior materials and build quality by any chance? That was the reason why I couldn't have gone for a Tesla myself…
Build quality is one of them. I really miss having buttons for everything, you can't even adjust the speed of the wipers other then doing it through the screen. The auto wipers work based on a camera that has a neural engine and detects rain based on the imagine the sensor is seeing, in other words it never works properly. I don't think it ever worked like it should, most of the time the wipers just don't realise it's been raining or if they do realise there's rain, they fail to adjust the speed correctly almost 100% of the time.

Easy entry doesn't work 40% of the time even though I have the £150 physical key in my pocket that I got from tesla, there's times the door just won't open if I pull the handle

The Maps on the screen won't allow you to choose a route, there's no option other then to follow what the computer thinks is a right route which is ridiculous, it's a software thing but I'm done waiting any longer to have this issue addressed by tesla.

Cruise control is unusable. Tesla insists on using the autopilot for the cruise control rather then the dumb cruise control that just keeps the car rolling until you step on the break. Because of this the car does a lot of shadow breaking if it thinks it detected an obstacle during cruise control (such as a shadow of a bridge or a shadow of a truck in the opposite lane) it slams on the breaks, this is no joke though, I had this happen twice and never used the cruise feature since.

Range - real world range is around 200 miles, unless you drive it like a snail. Tesla Fans would say that you should drive conservatively but if I wanted to drive like that, I'd get a leaf or the Prius so that's a total BS.

Overall there a lot of nonsense and very little of what works (this being a super fast car is one of the things that work) which leaves me questioning why I spent £49k on this thing. Trying out the IX3 M Sport Pro just reminded me of what a car should feel like and that's why I went with it. Also it looks mean AF, something I prefer over the blobby looks of the tesla.
Owner of both a model 3 and an iX3, agree with some of your points but not all. Wipers for sure is ridiculous, and can certainly agree with your frustrations on phantom breaking, I've got a good technique I use now when overtaking a lorry and it's generally fine but still stupid. Personally never had a problem with auto unlock, I only have my phone and it's failed on me maybe 3 times in 8 months of ownership.

Oh on the route thing, that literally got addressed today on mine with the latest sw update!

The iX3 certainly has a few bonus points, the active lane assist is better, doesn't disengage when you change lanes, but obviously has some flaws in my opinion over the Tesla. Profile switching is horrifically slow, the phone key is worse as it doesn't support auto unlock/lock, it is of course way slower/heavier to drive, no battery preconditioning and lack of access to the supercharger network is a big downer as the third party networks, although getting better, are not anywhere close. Finally we'll also see how well it handles in the winter being rear-wheeled drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I keep reading battery preconditioning will be integrated into the facelift model. Is this the case ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Not in any of them yet, but hardware is in all of them.
Appreciate 0