BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2021, 02:44 AM   #1
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Speed Limit Display Intermittent

Yesterday afternoon, the speed limit display (on the dash and head up display) on my Premier Pro started behaving erratically.

Most of the time it is displaying "LIMIT" in a white circle. Occasionally the speed limit flashes up for a few seconds, and then disappears. Obviously this is preventing me from using the SET button for the speed limiter and the adaptive cruise control.

It is not a camera issue; my entire 10 mile commute is within a 30mph speed limit, and I do not pass any speed limit signs. So it is not the signs that are triggering the short term display of the limit. The sat nav is working correctly, so not a GPS issue either.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 05:57 AM   #2
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Yesterday afternoon, the speed limit display (on the dash and head up display) on my Premier Pro started behaving erratically.

Most of the time it is displaying "LIMIT" in a white circle. Occasionally the speed limit flashes up for a few seconds, and then disappears. Obviously this is preventing me from using the SET button for the speed limiter and the adaptive cruise control.

It is not a camera issue; my entire 10 mile commute is within a 30mph speed limit, and I do not pass any speed limit signs. So it is not the signs that are triggering the short term display of the limit. The sat nav is working correctly, so not a GPS issue either.

Any thoughts?
Mine does the same in that it displays LIMIT until the vehicle passes a speed limit sign. When I live in town and drive around, sometimes I don't come across a single speed limit sign. But, any time I do pass a speed limit sign, it picks it up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t41l589 View Post
Mine does the same in that it displays LIMIT until the vehicle passes a speed limit sign. When I live in town and drive around, sometimes I don't come across a single speed limit sign. But, any time I do pass a speed limit sign, it picks it up perfectly.
I understood that it also used a GPS database, which were overridden by roadside signs where different. My TomTom has a similar database, but clearly does not have the camera to detect signs.

Certainly this has been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon, displaying the speed without needing a sign to be detected by the camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem solved. It was the GPS that had failed.

I was showing as still on a ferry in the middle of the river, where I was 24 hours earlier. Yesterday evening, the GPS started working again after a while. Not sure what caused this - will need to keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0