BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (GO8) M Sport Pro incoming

outstanding technical campaign affecting it - this is for 'Programming the control un

As the title suggests...has anyone else heard of this technical campaign affecting their new LCI order?

"Outstanding technical campaign affecting it - this is for 'Programming the control units for the front radar sensor'."

Update came from the Team on twitter who have the same access to the system as the Genius' so they say!

Was news to me!

Last edited by ammo23; 12-20-2021 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Adding info!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Hmm, you just made me check my LCI order. Online check shows

There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to book an online appointment for your vehicle selecting "service as required" or contact your local retailer here for more information. Enhancement code 0066540100.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
Hmm, you just made me check my LCI order. Online check shows

There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to book an online appointment for your vehicle selecting "service as required" or contact your local retailer here for more information. Enhancement code 0066540100.
It's a weird one, as my dealer said the car is in transit US > Germany...so has the car been China > US and now to Germany for the fix?! Sure they could do the fix in the UK
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo23 View Post
It's a weird one, as my dealer said the car is in transit US > Germany...so has the car been China > US and now to Germany for the fix?! Sure they could do the fix in the UK
I think that is the shipping route.. China to USA to Germany to UK. My last update was that mine is heading to the uk (status 190 - heading to port of exit)

I would expect the fix to be by the dealer hopefully if it is just a software update...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
I think that is the shipping route.. China to USA to Germany to UK. My last update was that mine is heading to the uk (status 190 - heading to port of exit)

I would expect the fix to be by the dealer hopefully if it is just a software update...
Dealer seems to think they'll do the fix in Germany, maybe yours is already done! Mines at 165 - in transit...wonder which ship its on! Not due til Feb...be great if it was early!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Spiderstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30d > iX3

I've just been told the same thing - my car is due to be collected tomorrow morning, and they have found out about this recall this afternoon. As a result they say they can't enter it into the DVLA tax system (even though there is no tax to pay) and so collection is going to be delayed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:56 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderstu View Post
I've just been told the same thing - my car is due to be collected tomorrow morning, and they have found out about this recall this afternoon. As a result they say they can't enter it into the DVLA tax system (even though there is no tax to pay) and so collection is going to be delayed.
There is no recall as such on the DVLA website. It is what BMW deems to be a ‘technical enhancement’.

Out-of-interest, does anyone know what the enhancement is all about?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:17 AM   #8
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Mine is also subject to the same "enhancement" but BMW advised it wasn't urgent.

From what I could gather, the radar isn't as sensitive as intended when picking up cyclists, which means that the assisted/auto brake isn't as responsive as they'd like. Not guaranteed that this is the actual issue, just what was relayed to me!
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      12-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I have the same "technical enhancement" (is that BMW-speak for problem rectification?) - Enhancement Code 0066540100.

Searching around, it appears that this is affecting a number of vehicles. Many forums were discussing this problem back in August - a couple of months before I took delivery of the vehicle. You would have expected them to complete this as part of the pre delivery inspection. Especially when the car was sitting around for 4 weeks waiting for the battery to be checked.

Somebody even mentioned that this technical campaign has been running since Feb 2019. Although I find it hard to believe that the software has not been updated on new vehicles in the 2.5 years since then!!!

They told me they need the car for the whole day. That is one hell of a software update. Maybe they are upgrading me to Windows 7.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I think that the earlier technical enhancement was to do with the 12VDC battery in a crash situation. It was resolved with a firmware update.

Firmware updates can take sometime on a BMW as the dealer connects the car to BMW Germany’s server which runs various checks before deciding what firmware updates are needed. The issue used to be getting a link to BMW’s servers. I recall an i3 service taking 3 days!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Spiderstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30d > iX3

Well it didn't take 3 days for this update. I have collected the vehicle today. All good so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderstu View Post
Well it didn't take 3 days for this update. I have collected the vehicle today. All good so far.
That’s good to hear. Enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:49 AM   #13
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

My iX3 Prem Pro was delivered in December and I've just checked and it DOES require the 'recall'.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Had mine done yesterday, its a firmware update on the radar unit itself, along with making sure your on 07/2021 and my car had a third update as well, not sure what that one was, the engineer walked away when it started as he assumed it was the radar update (after 07/2021) but it wasn't so possibly the 12v update.
Appreciate 0