BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Heated and cooled cup holders

01-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #1
BMWSCOTT11
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 528

Heated and cooled cup holders

Do these actually work and if you have them with you recommend getting this option?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSCOTT11 View Post
Do these actually work and if you have them with you recommend getting this option?
In my opinion, it's a gimmick. Doesn't really heat up or cool down.
Especially if the drink is in an insulated cup (which most hot drinks are).
Appreciate 2
BMW-X157.00
      01-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Not worth it. I use it backwards. I have plastic bottles of ice tea that I place in the freezer for a few hours before I go on the road. I use the heated feature to melt the frozen plastic bottle over time …….since they fixed the issue with condensation leaking into the center console and setting off your air bag accidentally 😳
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
MicroSux
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB SLK55, BMW 340i MPPSK

I use them a lot. As stated from others it depends on the vessel in which your drink in is. I have great results from soda cans with the cooled feature and with a paper coffee cup from a Starbucks the heated function does help.

Is it going to take a room temperature can to 40 degrees with the cooling? No

Is it going to heat a cup of coffee to 135 degrees from 80, no.

But it will slow the loss of heat or a cold beverage turning warm. Expectations need to be managed. Again, on an hour drive I pick up a can and the can and contents are still cold.
Appreciate 5
      01-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
since they fixed the issue with condensation leaking into the center console and setting off your air bag accidentally 😳
You had this happen to your car? BMW fixed it? I wonder if this is an issue with all the X5/X7s or only the ones that have the heated and cooled cup holders.

Someone mentioned that there is a class action law suit against BMW on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
since they fixed the issue with condensation leaking into the center console and setting off your air bag accidentally 😳
You had this happen to your car? BMW fixed it? I wonder if this is an issue with all the X5/X7s or only the ones that have the heated and cooled cup holders.

Someone mentioned that there is a class action law suit against BMW on this issue.
Didn't happen to me but I saw the issue on this forum but was informed bmw corrected the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

It keeps a water bottle or aluminum can that was refrigerated cool. It doesn't work to actually cool a room temperature bottle/can. For obvious reasons it won't work with insulated cups but it does keep coffee in a paper cup warm for longer than with it off.
Appreciate 1
PNWM3545.50
      01-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
It doesn't come as a standalone option so you'll need to decide if the other options in the Executive package are worth it to you.
      01-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I do like them, use them, and recommend them.

As with the massage seats and ventilated seats options, it's important to understand what they're there for and what they do.

They've been empirically shown to work, with a temperature gun in another thread. They will not make a room temperature drink hot or cold, unless you take an extended trip of many hours. (I've done this).

But the point it, they will keep a warm drink warm longer. And a cold drink cold longer. As those above point out, effects change based on the material of the container in it.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2295.00
      01-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
BMWSCOTT11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I do like them, use them, and recommend them.

As with the massage seats and ventilated seats options, it's important to understand what they're there for and what they do.

They've been empirically shown to work, with a temperature gun in another thread. They will not make a room temperature drink hot or cold, unless you take an extended trip of many hours. (I've done this).

But the point it, they will keep a warm drink warm longer. And a cold drink cold longer. As those above point out, effects change based on the material of the container in it.
Can you tell me more about ventilated and massage seat also please? I'm looking at that option also and if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #11
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Can you tell me more about ventilated and massage seat also please? I'm looking at that option also and if it's worth it.
I have them and absolutely one of the best options we have. The ventilation is meh, but the massage function really helps on long roads trips.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe they're worth it, again, as long as you understand what they are. Ventilated seats are just that, and not "cooled" seats. They ventilate ambient cabin air through the seats, and prevent your butt from getting sweaty, or bare legs from sticking to the seat leather.

The massage seat purpose is to keep your body in slight motion. Prevent getting sore "driving butt" on longer drives. It does NOT provide a deep tissue Shiatsu massage. So some people complain that it's not the stronger massage they expect. But I love it, and even the range of motion that it provides helps keep me loose.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2022, 06:34 PM   #13
BMWSCOTT11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
I believe they're worth it, again, as long as you understand what they are. Ventilated seats are just that, and not "cooled" seats. They ventilate ambient cabin air through the seats, and prevent your butt from getting sweaty, or bare legs from sticking to the seat leather.

The massage seat purpose is to keep your body in slight motion. Prevent getting sore "driving butt" on longer drives. It does NOT provide a deep tissue Shiatsu massage. So some people complain that it's not the stronger massage they expect. But I love it, and even the range of motion that it provides helps keep me loose.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #14
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Keep in mind not to put metallic containers in the cup holder when heating or cooling. It is a fire hazard. Also, since it's insulated and metal, it does nothing to heat or cool the liquid inside anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 12:19 AM   #15
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
I have them and absolutely one of the best options we have. The ventilation is meh, but the massage function really helps on long roads trips.
So worth it. I actually like the ventilated for long drives where you just feel like you’re about to get a bit swampy and they stop it. I used the ventilated more than the heated option. Also great for on the way back from the gym.
Appreciate 2
dmanb2b2134.00
      01-10-2022, 12:31 AM   #16
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Actually, whenever I turn on heated seats, I also turn on the ventilated option on low, to prevent sweaty butt
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 01:28 AM   #17
Kivilig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
It serves me well, I mainly use the cooled option and keeps my Red Bull chilled, did not used the heat option much,
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #18
Malu59RT
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I thought it would be the most useless feature on my car, but I am really thankful for the heated cupholder. I place my son's formula bottle in it, and with the heater, it's almost the perfect temperature to serve the baby when we get to our destination. Not hot by any means, just warm enough.
MystroX56322.00
Wild Blue3683.50
      01-12-2022, 09:40 AM   #19
jasheaer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
Keep in mind not to put metallic containers in the cup holder when heating or cooling. It is a fire hazard. Also, since it's insulated and metal, it does nothing to heat or cool the liquid inside anyway.
??? Tell me more about this... as others have pointed out, I consistently use metallic containers (aluminum cans) in the cooled cup holders... have for >1 year and it works great to keep my cold items cold. I'm not a hot coffee drinker so can't attest to the heating function.

Jay
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #20
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheaer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
??? Tell me more about this... as others have pointed out, I consistently use metallic containers (aluminum cans) in the cooled cup holders... have for >1 year and it works great to keep my cold items cold. I'm not a hot coffee drinker so can't attest to the heating function.

Jay
Yeah, definitely not a fire hazard. Not sure what prompted dude to say that..
      01-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #21
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
Probably wireless charger gets phone hotter than hot cup holder . so I too am interested to know about the fire hazard
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1841.00
      01-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #22
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail4loys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Probably wireless charger gets phone hotter than hot cup holder . so I too am interested to know about the fire hazard
Don't smoke cigarettes or play with the lighter when you are using it for your can of oil.
Appreciate 0