BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

No M3 Touring, on to X3M Comp?

As a long time M fan, I'm finally in a place to make the purchase, but I also need a bit of practicality for the family and dog. When I heard the M3 touring announced, I held out hope that we might actually get it in North America. At this point it looks like a certainty that it's not coming here. That realization is how I began to consider the X3M -- did anyone else go through this shift?

The publicly stated reason for not sending the M3 touring to NA is the cost of crash testing can't be spread with the lower end wagon models. But, after looking into M pricing, you can clearly see that an M3 touring would also mess up their overall M pricing structure. For example in the US:

M3 comp Xdrive: $76,900
X3M comp (Xdrive): $76,900

I'm sure they would need to make an M3 touring a few thousand more than the sedan. At that point, the touring would be more expensive than the X3M. I imagine that BMW realized that quite a few people looking for a practical M vehicle, would have simply gone with the even more practical X3M, further reducing the potential market for the M3 touring. Don't get me wrong, I still think the M3 touring will be an amazing vehicle and likely would have astronomical resale value, but from a business perspective, I don't blame BMW for not bringing it here. All the pricing research also made me realize that the X3M is the 'bargain' in the M line up.

Anyway, I recently had a chance to drive a 2020 X3M comp, I was totally blown away that an SUV could drive that way. I thought it was incredible.

My local dealer offered to sell me their next 2022 allocation at MSRP... I know the market is tight, but I'm just having a hard time accepting paying full boat. Does anyone know of dealers willing to sell under MSRP? I would take delivery at PDC, so dealer location doesn't matter.

Also, any rumors of 2023 updates? I'd love to see digital key, and perhaps a standard green paint, I think Isle of Man would look incredible.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
that's exactly what I did.

Once the teaser for the G81 was revealed, I already knew that it'd be my next car. I was certainly hyped, but once I finally accepted the fact that it wouldn't be coming to the NA market (even though I held on to that tiny sliver of hope), I decided to move on and get myself into an F97.

Coming from an F80, I was contemplating about getting into a G80 xDrive instead, but the trunk space was too tight with the sedan and the G80 is barely any bigger, so my one and only choice was the X3M. No regrets so far. Sure, it doesn't drive as well as a proper M3, but it out performs the F80 in every other area (comfort, tech, practicality, etc). And let's be honest, this is a daily driver, so I rarely have the time/opportunity to push the F97 to its limits to appreciate the car's potential.

As for pricing, no idea where the market is headed. It might level out, it might not. Finding a car at MSRP should be pretty easy, but anything under would be extremely difficult; I was well under it so I got extremely lucky with everything that's going on.

In terms of future options, no idea if digital key or laser lights will be available. I highly doubt paint selection will change, though BMW did announce more options will be made available through the Individual program (wider color palette).

Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to find a decent deal on an F97.

That being said, deep down I'm still praying on that one in a million chance that the G81 will be coming to the US. If it does, the F97 is being sold immediately and I'll put a deposit on an M3 Touring. I'll gladly pay over MSRP. idgaf I just want one.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I think BMW knew at the time the X3M came out that they already knew the M3 Touring wasn't coming over and priced he X3M as such.

I was hoping for an M4 GC too for the hatch (and profile).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:20 PM   #4
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
that's exactly what I did.

Once the teaser for the G81 was revealed, I already knew that it'd be my next car. I was certainly hyped, but once I finally accepted the fact that it wouldn't be coming to the NA market (even though I held on to that tiny sliver of hope), I decided to move on and get myself into an F97.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I knew I couldn't be the only one with this thought process.

And if whoever gave you the deal you got, wants to make another deal please shoot me a PM!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Excellent topic for discussion here. I think the G81 M3 Touring would be an ideal machine too. But since there's a 99.99% chance they won't bring it here to the US, I believe the X3 M is a great alternative with more ground clearance for slight off-roading.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Excellent topic for discussion here. I think the G81 M3 Touring would be an ideal machine too. But since there's a 99.99% chance they won't bring it here to the US, I believe the X3 M is a great alternative with more ground clearance for slight off-roading.
The only off road action these utes will ever see is an unpaved costco parking lot. Let's be real here…
Appreciate 4
      01-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #7
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
The only off road action these utes will ever see is an unpaved costco parking lot. Let's be real here…
LOL!!
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
fatalius
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Here in Sweden the M3 comp XDrive is already almost 6000 euros more expensive than an X3M comp with similar equipment. As the M3 touring will certainly be like 3-4.000 more than the sedan , we are looking at almost 10.000 euros price difference to the X3M comp.

It kinda makes the X3M comp a non brainer I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalius View Post
Here in Sweden the M3 comp XDrive is already almost 6000 euros more expensive than an X3M comp with similar equipment. As the M3 touring will certainly be like 3-4.000 more than the sedan , we are looking at almost 10.000 euros price difference to the X3M comp.

It kinda makes the X3M comp a non brainer I think.
Wow, it sounds like it...
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
FYI, my X3M has already seen several gravel roads (some a mile or 2), rutted dirt parking lots, and muddy grass fields this past year. A few were to the point I was glad of the ground clearance I had. Not that an RWD M3 couldn't do them but it would be with more drama and white knuckled moments.

PS: If you've never done the off road course at the BMW Performance Center, you'd be surprised what they put standard X3s and X5s through.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Quote:
FYI, my X3M has already seen several gravel roads (some a mile or 2), rutted dirt parking lots, and muddy grass fields this past year. A few were to the point I was glad of the ground clearance I had. Not that an RWD M3 couldn't do them but it would be with more drama and white knuckled moments.

PS: If you've never done the off road course at the BMW Performance Center, you'd be surprised what they put standard X3s and X5s through.
That's not off-road. I would not even call that slightly off-road.

My lake house is at the end of 10km dirt, gravel, hard parked, sometimes mud, rain washout rut road. Does the ute work sure. The PS4S slide like crazy on it but it's not off-road by any means.

I did the track stuff while my wife did the off road course in Spartanburg. Fun times.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #12
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
When I was looking for my last vehicle, I test drove a 2017 M3 that I really fell in love with, but being in MN I really need an AWD vehicle. That pretty much limited me to one car option in the M lineup which was the M5. The M5 is an amazing machine, but is way out of my price range. Fast forward to present time, and the Xdrive M3/M4 are now out. It created an opportunity for the vehicle I always wanted. I did have the opportunity to review an X3M competition (2021) for my Youtube channel and was blown away. It has space which was something my RS3 or any of my cars never really had.
Similar price point to an M3/M4 Xdrive and much more space with "most" of the M feel. It is why I have seen 3 other folks who used to be in an RS3 move into one of these.

Would it be an off-road machine? No, probably not. Maybe if they made offroad tires for it? Lol. Let's see a Roadkill episode with that! Lol.
      01-13-2022, 05:49 AM   #13
Baylorguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On Order: 2022 X3M, ZCP, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi from DSM View Post
When I was looking for my last vehicle, I test drove a 2017 M3 that I really fell in love with, but being in MN I really need an AWD vehicle. That pretty much limited me to one car option in the M lineup which was the M5. The M5 is an amazing machine, but is way out of my price range. Fast forward to present time, and the Xdrive M3/M4 are now out. It created an opportunity for the vehicle I always wanted. I did have the opportunity to review an X3M competition (2021) for my Youtube channel and was blown away. It has space which was something my RS3 or any of my cars never really had.
Similar price point to an M3/M4 Xdrive and much more space with "most" of the M feel. It is why I have seen 3 other folks who used to be in an RS3 move into one of these.

Would it be an off-road machine? No, probably not. Maybe if they made offroad tires for it? Lol. Let's see a Roadkill episode with that! Lol.
Exactly the same situation. I had a stage 2 E85 RS3. Car ripped, trapped at 134 mph and mid 10s on street tires all day long. With a growing family, the X3M was the only thing that offered the same or slightly better straight line speed with significantly increased practicality. It is very much an M to me since it easily outhandles my old RS3 as well. The powertrain... is simply amazing. The awd system puts that power down so much better than the haldex system and the gearbox and silky smooth inline 6... that thing pulls all day long even in stock trim!
Appreciate 0