BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Sudden brake intervention

01-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Sudden brake intervention

We've had our 2021 M50i for almost two years. Intermittently, while backing out of our relatively tight garage, the car seems to engage automatic braking which scares the crap out of all of us.

There is adequate space to avoid running into the wall/garage door, but the car clearly doesn't think so.

Are there settings that I can adjust to mitigate this from happening? I don't want to turn off pre collision features but just reduce sensitivity while backing out?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
We've had our 2021 M50i for almost two years. Intermittently, while backing out of our relatively tight garage, the car seems to engage automatic braking which scares the crap out of all of us.

There is adequate space to avoid running into the wall/garage door, but the car clearly doesn't think so.

Are there settings that I can adjust to mitigate this from happening? I don't want to turn off pre collision features but just reduce sensitivity while backing out?

Thanks
This happens with my X7 as well. I've got an old garage that is very narrow. I recollect that there are rear and side options, either on or off. I've never turned it entirely off, as my kids tend to surprise me by moving things around in the garage. It also stopped me from putting a nice crease in my bumper from an unmarked, dark metal obstruction in a parking garage. As it starts to beep in the garage, I can pause and or slow to a crawl, and often it will not engage. Assuming there truly isn't an obstruction. Are you having issues with it perceiving there to be obstructions on the side walls of your garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #3
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
This happens with my X7 as well. I've got an old garage that is very narrow. I recollect that there are rear and side options, either on or off. I've never turned it entirely off, as my kids tend to surprise me by moving things around in the garage. It also stopped me from putting a nice crease in my bumper from an unmarked, dark metal obstruction in a parking garage. As it starts to beep in the garage, I can pause and or slow to a crawl, and often it will not engage. Assuming there truly isn't an obstruction. Are you having issues with it perceiving there to be obstructions on the side walls of your garage?
Thanks for the reply and you are correct - looks like there are two options under parking assist setting for emergency brake intervention (rear and side). I currently have both on but thinking about turning off "side" option? I guess I am good with beeping but not suddenly engaging the brakes just because it's close to an object...

Found this picture from another website but I will try to disable the side option and see.
Attached Images

Last edited by sbkim; 01-16-2022 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
beemerb0y
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

i wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity. I've turned off the rear & side PDC braking since i back up into my tight garage, and although im not going to hit anything, the car thinks i will and brakes. super annoying
Appreciate 0