BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2022, 02:55 AM   #1
TheTickingHand
Rep
Drives: IX3 Premier Pro

Wireless Charger IX3 Premier Pro

Anyone have issues charging a phone on the wireless charging pad?

I have the Premier Pro, Trying to charge my pixel 6 Pro and appears to switch on but not charge, so back to cables, very annoying. Wondering if its the phone or the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:21 AM   #2
tc_303
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

my iphone charges fine. You do have to fiddle a little with it sometimes to get it connected.

I have found that after a while of charging my phone is very hot to touch so i dont tend to charge it in the car too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:17 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It works fine with my iPhone 8. Albeit VERY slowly. I use it to top up the charge whenever in the car.

Recently my phone was using GPS, and I always leave Wifi and bluetooth switched on. It was still discharging while on the wireless charger. I now keep a cable in the car for days like that!

According to another website, it only delivers 2W of power. That compares to 3.5W and 6.5W from the small and large apple chargers (1.2A and 2.4A). I have just downloaded the Charge Master app - apparently it will measure the true charge power from different devices.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #4
TheTickingHand
Rep
Drives: IX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
It works fine with my iPhone 8. Albeit VERY slowly. I use it to top up the charge whenever in the car.

Recently my phone was using GPS, and I always leave Wifi and bluetooth switched on. It was still discharging while on the wireless charger. I now keep a cable in the car for days like that!

According to another website, it only delivers 2W of power. That compares to 3.5W and 6.5W from the small and large apple chargers (1.2A and 2.4A). I have just downloaded the Charge Master app - apparently it will measure the true charge power from different devices.
That's interesting 2W is very low, i wonder if android Auto is draining more than the charger is putting in, I will try an app to see if I can see what power its drawing.

More interesting is putting in a slow battery charger in to an EV with all the technology they can muster in the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:38 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTickingHand View Post
That's interesting 2W is very low, i wonder if android Auto is draining more than the charger is putting in, I will try an app to see if I can see what power its drawing.

More interesting is putting in a slow battery charger in to an EV with all the technology they can muster in the rest of the car.
The 2W figure came from a thread on the X3 part of this site. There is general disappointment with it there. Apparently this charger is not being included in the latest models in some markets - there doesn't appear to be any disappointment with that!!

I presume they have used the same charger in the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
The 2W figure came from a thread on the X3 part of this site. There is general disappointment with it there. Apparently this charger is not being included in the latest models in some markets - there doesn't appear to be any disappointment with that!!

I presume they have used the same charger in the iX3.
Yes, I initially was going to have an x3 30e which i rejected as I wasn’t told that HK, digital key & wireless charging were omitted due to chip shortage. I’m not sure in this country if this is still the case. Not bothered about other stuff but the HK is a must for me
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Works just fine with my s21ultra, AA used all the time, and not noticed any drain issues? Even use Carstream for YouTube etc without issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:02 AM   #8
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

My phone gets hot on the pad - iPhone 12- anyone else?
2021 G08 IX3 [ordered]
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
IX3 KING
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevz65 View Post
My phone gets hot on the pad - iPhone 12- anyone else?
Yes mind does the same
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Heating is usually down to misalignment I've noticed on standard Qi pads, slightly off causes it to heat more. Makes sense when thinking about it I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
tommyb007
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I also have Pixel 6 Pro and find the wireless charging very hit and miss. If I position the phone just right the blue light comes on indicating wireless charging, the phone gets hot and little charging actually happens. Maybe the phone is too big to align correctly
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

S21u is bigger than the 6 Pro, and I find have to put it top toward passenger and basically touch the edge, works fine though, even if it slips around a little. I've got a case on though, so helps it hold I suppose
Appreciate 0