BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
iOS 15.3 and digital key?

Ive had a beta profile on my iphone 13 pro for some time. Last night iOS 15.3 rolled out and my iphone updated. Today when using my iphone digital key which I had setup a few weeks ago; it started the car but I got a popup about no key being in the car. And iDrive asked me to hold the key near the steering wheel. I thought that was odd so I removed my digital key by doing the digital key reset. My thinking was, just repair it. The problem is, it wont pair now. It goes half way and fails.

I am not sure if this is an IOS update issue. Or if I did something wrong resetting the digital key because of the idrive warning about no key found. Anyone here with IOS 15.3 on a 13 pro with digital key working?
      01-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Ive had a beta profile on my iphone 13 pro for some time. Last night iOS 15.3 rolled out and my iphone updated. Today when using my iphone digital key which I had setup a few weeks ago; it started the car but I got a popup about no key being in the car. And iDrive asked me to hold the key near the steering wheel. I thought that was odd so I removed my digital key by doing the digital key reset. My thinking was, just repair it. The problem is, it wont pair now. It goes half way and fails.

I am not sure if this is an IOS update issue. Or if I did something wrong resetting the digital key because of the idrive warning about no key found. Anyone here with IOS 15.3 on a 13 pro with digital key working?
Interesting. My iPhone shows 15.2.1 and that it's up to date. A quick googleling says 15.3 isn't officially out yet. You sure you're not still on the Beta?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to watch this thread to see if others have an issue. Will hold off on upgrading to 15.3.

EDIT: I think you're saying you are on the 15.3 beta. Sorry, I'm only running 15.2.1
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Interesting. My iPhone shows 15.2.1 and that it's up to date. A quick googleling says 15.3 isn't officially out yet. You sure you're not still on the Beta?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to watch this thread to see if others have an issue. Will hold off on upgrading to 15.3.

EDIT: I think you're saying you are on the 15.3 beta. Sorry, I'm only running 15.2.1
Correct, Im now on 15.3. Ive had a developer profile on my iphone for so long now that I dont know what I was on prior to last night's update to 15.3. I can only assume I was on 15.2.1 as well. Whatever I was on before last night worked fine.

But since my iphone updated to 15.3, my digital key was acting funny so I removed it and cant add it back now.

I removed my developer profile and rebooted. But it still shows 15.3 as the current version. To make matters worse, I believe developer profiles dont downgrade like beta profiles do even once you remove the profile from your iphone.

So I am currently backing up my iphone and going to restore it so I can reinstall whatever the most current official IOS version is. Which from what you are saying is 15.2.1.

What a pain in the arse. I'll be pissed if I do all this and it still doesnt pair.
      01-21-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Quote:

Correct, Im now on 15.3. Ive had a developer profile on my iphone for so long now that I dont know what I was on prior to last night's update to 15.3. I can only assume I was on 15.2.1 as well. Whatever I was on before last night worked fine.

But since my iphone updated to 15.3, my digital key was acting funny so I removed it and cant add it back now.

I removed my developer profile and rebooted. But it still shows 15.3 as the current version. To make matters worse, I believe developer profiles dont downgrade like beta profiles do even once you remove the profile from your iphone.

So I am currently backing up my iphone and going to restore it so I can reinstall whatever the most current official IOS version is. Which from what you are saying is 15.2.1.

What a pain in the arse. I'll be pissed if I do all this and it still doesnt pair.
Good luck. Despite the digital key's limitations, I prefer it over keys in my pocket or searching the house for my keys. I've been using the digital key exclusively. I hope it's just a beta thing, not a 15.3 issue.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Good luck. Despite the digital key's limitations, I prefer it over keys in my pocket or searching the house for my keys. I've been using the digital key exclusively. I hope it's just a beta thing, not a 15.3 issue.
I reverted back and its still not pairing. Shit.

I did do the wifi charging retrofit. I am tempted to put the non wifi charger back on to see if it has anything to do with the new unit. As far as others reported, it was plug and play. My digital key worked after I put it in. But maybe it needs the stock one to pair the first time?

It takes 15 mins to swap. I will try that.
      01-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Problem solved. I was able to repair my iphone as the digital key! Im just not sure what of these two steps allowed me to re pair.

1.) I did the coding for the wifi charging retrofit. The coding enables idrive to tell you that youve left your phone on the charger.

2.) I had to disable the cars internal wifi and carplay for bimmercode to work with my enet to lightning adapter.

Im not sure. But Im leaning towards the cars wifi and carplay holding up the data transmission for the my bmw app to do whatever it does. Who knows. But one of those two things got it working.