BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
AdamG05X5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 MSport

Regenerative Braking

Picked up my iX3 M Sport Pro a few days ago and absolutely love it. Does anyone know how the regenerative braking system works with the friction brakes?

When I press the brake pedal in 'adaptive regen' mode does the car initially use the regenerative brakes for the initial pedal travel only moving to friction for more severe braking?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

I believe this is the case. B mode is really good though and you hardly ever need to use the brake pedal if you drive well.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #3
AdamG05X5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 MSport

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the B mode today and I must admit I think I prefer it, makes the drive very smooth.
Appreciate 1
RedJon116.50
      01-27-2022, 02:41 AM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG05X5 View Post
Picked up my iX3 M Sport Pro a few days ago and absolutely love it. Does anyone know how the regenerative braking system works with the friction brakes?

When I press the brake pedal in 'adaptive regen' mode does the car initially use the regenerative brakes for the initial pedal travel only moving to friction for more severe braking?
Yes, the iX3 in both modes uses adaptive braking. In D mode, when you take your foot of the pedal the car should coast and, then based on the adaptive braking set in the IDrive, it should bring the car close to a stop when approaching say a roundabout.

If you find that you are having to use friction braking then it is most likely that EV range is of limited interest to you, or the battery state of charge is such that the battery is incapable of taking on regenerative power. For example, leaving home with a full battery followed by a downhill drive will inevitably require friction braking. In B mode, the car makes this decision for you.
Appreciate 1