home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Slow body shop work

How long have you guys had to wait with your car at a body shop while they install any accessories?

I have purchased several M Perf parts. I decided to "play it safe" and have my dealer install them, since they praise themselves in being 1 of only 2 certified BMW body shops in Illinois. Parts that were available back in November got installed within 3-4 days. Recently I also purchased the rear wing and exhaust, but it seems this work is taking 1.5 weeks. It's frustrating because this dealer has to keep moving the car between the service department (to remove exhaust, put on new exhaust, etc) and the body shop (to take off old diffuser, put on different rear diffuser). Their excuse is that they haven't done very many of these so far...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
SammiK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 M3CX

out of curiosity, what dealership? i'm located in illinois too.

sounds like you're having an m perf exhaust put on. from what i hear, the new ones are a pita to put in as they have to make cuts and what not to the underbody.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byunts View Post
out of curiosity, what dealership? i'm located in illinois too.

sounds like you're having an m perf exhaust put on. from what i hear, the new ones are a pita to put in as they have to make cuts and what not to the underbody.
Knauz in Lake Bluff.

Yes, they're putting on the exhaust. I know they had to cut out the old exhaust and put in the new one. But, not sure why that should take a week and a half.

I would think this type of job is an opportunity for their shop to do quickly and correctly, and show off a bit of what their shop can do. Or, maybe I am wrong and they have no need to show off since all of their inbound clients are just dealership clients.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:20 PM   #4
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
How long have you guys had to wait with your car at a body shop while they install any accessories?

I have purchased several M Perf parts. I decided to "play it safe" and have my dealer install them, since they praise themselves in being 1 of only 2 certified BMW body shops in Illinois. Parts that were available back in November got installed within 3-4 days. Recently I also purchased the rear wing and exhaust, but it seems this work is taking 1.5 weeks. It's frustrating because this dealer has to keep moving the car between the service department (to remove exhaust, put on new exhaust, etc) and the body shop (to take off old diffuser, put on different rear diffuser). Their excuse is that they haven't done very many of these so far...
You are likely the first MPE for the M3/M4. My understanding is that there are very few of them in the US. Our shop recently did one and that was about 1 1/2 days in the shop (plus other parts). Other thing scan affect the time it takes to get it done like not enough technicians to handle the workload.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
You are likely the first MPE for the M3/M4. My understanding is that there are very few of them in the US. Our shop recently did one and that was about 1 1/2 days in the shop (plus other parts). Other thing scan affect the time it takes to get it done like not enough technicians to handle the workload.
I can appreciate that, but it sounds like your shop got it done in 1.5 days, not 1.5 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Quote:

MPE should not take more than 2.5 hours to install.

We just did one this week.

If you got the full M performance Kit, it probably take 5 hours total to install.
Attached Images

01-28-2022, 04:56 PM   #7
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2michael23 View Post
Quote:

If you got the full M performance Kit, it probably take 5 hours total to install.
How do you do this and not post any sound clips? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #8
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ya, they are installing the kit. Plus wing. I don't get how it takes them more than a few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
They messed up and are waiting for parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #10
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Possibly waiting on extra parts? I recently ordered an M Performance exhaust for my G80 and the place I ordered it from was waiting on extra pieces to come in before shipping (the titanium tips).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Possibly waiting on extra parts? I recently ordered an M Performance exhaust for my G80 and the place I ordered it from was waiting on extra pieces to come in before shipping (the titanium tips).
Ya someone else is suggesting this too. It's possible. Though they claim it's just due to coordination efforts between the two departments….
Appreciate 1
FISH225413.50
      01-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #12
m2michael23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I am lazy. Haha. Will post a YouTube link tonight.
Nkr151124.50
      01-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #13
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!! Do you think it's worth the price? And does it sound very different? I'm on the fence to purchase..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #14
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:

Damn that looks so sick, I eagerly wait for a second hand one lol

Just imagine how it'll look with the csl trunk lid
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #15
m2michael23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!! Do you think it's worth the price? And does it sound very different? I'm on the fence to purchase..
I would pair this exhaust with resonator delete. The muffler upgrade is very refined exhaust tone. But if you want more, this probably not the right one. I uploaded the video in my other post in the Exhaust Section.
Nkr151124.50
      01-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #16
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Body shop billed for 23 hours of labor. Still waiting on invoice from service department which includes the parts and labor for removing / adding exhaust....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:46 PM   #17
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Body shop billed for 23 hours of labor. Still waiting on invoice from service department which includes the parts and labor for removing / adding exhaust....
Plus another $530 for service labor for removing/adding exhaust, unclear how many hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #18
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

A BMW garage has next to No experience in cutting off exhausts and installing aftermarket. I would trust an independent shop who are used to modifying cars much more with this kind of job that probably isn't even in their user manual

Ask BMW how much hours this job should take as per their own manual. No way I would pay that many hours labor for them to figure out how to do their job
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:09 PM   #19
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
A BMW garage has next to No experience in cutting off exhausts and installing aftermarket. I would trust an independent shop who are used to modifying cars much more with this kind of job that probably isn't even in their user manual

Ask BMW how much hours this job should take as per their own manual. No way I would pay that many hours labor for them to figure out how to do their job
Unfortunately for me, I think you are very likely correct. I'll know better for next time. My only consolation is that out of ~$10k in parts, the labor was maybe $1500 additional and should have been closer to $1000 instead.

At least, thank you for verifying that they did a bad job. I'll share this experience with others.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 07:35 PM   #20
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At least it's done
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #21
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
At least it's done
And…what are your initial impressions?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #22
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
At least it's done
And…what are your initial impressions?
I like the wing very much. The exhaust looks unique but seems expensive for what you get. The sound is not insanely different. At least, I may consider getting it modified just a bit to get louder, but that isn't so important for me right now. It does sound better, just not a night/day difference. If at least the process was easier and less hassle, I would do it again for sure, but feel like I had several hoops to jump through with this dealer….
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019270.50