BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Does it ever get old?

01-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Does it ever get old?

I've owned an X7 M50i for almost two years now, so you'd think the initial awe would have worn off by now, but no, I found myself once again laughing out loud yesterday in disbelief as she tore up the mountain roads on my way up to go skiing. If you own this car and have never driven it through a steep winding pass, find one and have some fun—it's pretty impressive—endless power on demand.

I want to drive this car with dedicated snow tires; I'm sure it's the goat. I just got a new set of Conti AS non-RF's and the X7 is performing beautifully in a variety of city, highway, and mountain winter driving conditions. The xDrive system is lovely.
Appreciate 6
Al Pinã1841.00
MystroX56322.00
Wild Blue3683.50
jonatious253.50
      01-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

For real petrolheads I don't think it will ever get old. Glad to hear you're driving the vehicle as intended.

01-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
ph1958
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

I had been a very long-time owner of Mercedes and Lexus SUVs and sedans. I ordered the X7 iDrive4.0 in March 2021 as a temporary vehicle in anticipation of the Lexus LX600. I picked up the X7 at the Spartanburg Performance Center in June. Beyond the fantastic PCD visit, I have genuinely enjoyed the X7's capabilities and comfort for almost 9,000 miles.

After seeing the online LX600, I am likely to skip an LX600 test drive. The LX600 seems archaic in comparison to the X7.

I can envision keeping this X7 for a long, long time. It has been equal to my prior Mercedes and Lexus vehicles for creature comforts and drivability. I think I'm sharing the same experience of "it doesn't get old"...
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I've owned an X7 M50i for almost two years now, so you'd think the initial awe would have worn off by now, but no, I found myself once again laughing out loud yesterday in disbelief as she tore up the mountain roads on my way up to go skiing. If you own this car and have never driven it through a steep winding pass, find one and have some fun—it's pretty impressive—endless power on demand.

I want to drive this car with dedicated snow tires; I'm sure it's the goat. I just got a new set of Conti AS non-RF's and the X7 is performing beautifully in a variety of city, highway, and mountain winter driving conditions. The xDrive system is lovely.
We are off to Switzerland skiing in two weeks time and taking the X7.
I can't wait to drive her through Europe and up the mountain passes to our destination. Three adults and two dogs and a ton of ski gear which the X7 will eat up.
She's ready to go with winter tyres and roof box.
Never tired of opening her up and driving the SUV
      01-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:

We are off to Switzerland skiing in two weeks time and taking the X7.
I can't wait to drive her through Europe and up the mountain passes to our destination. Three adults and two dogs and a ton of ski gear which the X7 will eat up.
She's ready to go with winter tyres and roof box.
Never tired of opening her up and driving the SUV
I'm jealous on so many levels! Have fun!!! Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I do it all the time. I have owned some exotics and always have a few 911 classics in the garage but there is something about a vehicle this big and opulent that goes this fast effortlessly I find so impressive. Its so funny yet the perception of speed in the vehicle is so detached. What feels fast in my 911 feels calm, isolated and serene in the X7M50i.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph1958 View Post
I had been a very long-time owner of Mercedes and Lexus SUVs and sedans. I ordered the X7 iDrive4.0 in March 2021 as a temporary vehicle in anticipation of the Lexus LX600. I picked up the X7 at the Spartanburg Performance Center in June. Beyond the fantastic PCD visit, I have genuinely enjoyed the X7's capabilities and comfort for almost 9,000 miles.

After seeing the online LX600, I am likely to skip an LX600 test drive. The LX600 seems archaic in comparison to the X7.

I can envision keeping this X7 for a long, long time. It has been equal to my prior Mercedes and Lexus vehicles for creature comforts and drivability. I think I'm sharing the same experience of "it doesn't get old"...
Honestly, I just really absolutely find it so so hard to understand that someone would spend this kind of 6-digit vehicle money on a freaking Lexus. It just doesn't make sense to me no matter which way I put it. The amount of Lexus-koolaid you would have had to drink to do this quite literally would have killed a grown elephant.
      01-29-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:

Coming up on a year of ownership and although I don't take advantage of driving it to its capabilities, I either can't get enough of climbing behind the wheel of this vehicle and taking it through the paces knowing that it can handle it. I'm more in tune with the luxurious feel of the vehicle as opposed to the handling features. It's simply a beautiful machine as my father in-law would say.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #9
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:

Honestly, I just really absolutely find it so so hard to understand that someone would spend this kind of 6-digit vehicle money on a freaking Lexus. It just doesn't make sense to me no matter which way I put it. The amount of Lexus-koolaid you would have had to drink to do this quite literally would have killed a grown elephant.
Maybe it's the added incentive that mechanically it will last so long that you can be buried in it. So you're getting a car and a coffin at no extra charge.
      01-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #10
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Maybe it's the added incentive that mechanically it will last so long that you can be buried in it. So you're getting a car and a coffin at no extra charge.
New model designation for MY 2023 : RIP600
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #11
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [10.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yeah what's crazy is going up hills this thing has tons of power on demand without having to downshift. Also by the way when you get dedicated snow tires on there it's even better!
Attached Images

01-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I drove mine for almost 2 years before getting an e tron gt as a replacement daily driver for me. Luckily I ordered the same m50i for the wife and still thoroughly enjoy driving it every time I do. Although the audi is obviously faster, the feel of the x7 is still super nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #13
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
I drove mine for almost 2 years before getting an e tron gt as a replacement daily driver for me. Luckily I ordered the same m50i for the wife and still thoroughly enjoy driving it every time I do. Although the audi is obviously faster, the feel of the x7 is still super nice.
Yea I mean I don’t get this mentality at all of the OP. It’s a fine car but compared to my Taycan it’s sort of like… I dunno a nice luxury people hauler. It’s pretty blah on the mountain roads IMO. Cayanne would be far far better.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy it and it’s the best handling in the class but come on… it’s nothing compared to a sports car at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 01:47 AM   #14
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I do it all the time. I have owned some exotics and always have a few 911 classics in the garage but there is something about a vehicle this big and opulent that goes this fast effortlessly I find so impressive. Its so funny yet the perception of speed in the vehicle is so detached. What feels fast in my 911 feels calm, isolated and serene in the X7M50i.
This! I’ve had an E46 M3, E92 M3, E60 M5, E64 M6 and an M4 GTS and my current Alpina XB7 is the GOAT. I’ve had so many other cars as well, but I’ve never driven so fast, so effortlessly and so comfortably. I’m interest in what the XM will bring but right now, besides a Cullinan, there’s nothing else I’d even give a second glance. It’s the perfect car. And this is after 10,000 miles since June last year.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:05 AM   #15
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
Quote:
Yea I mean I don’t get this mentality at all of the OP. It’s a fine car but compared to my Taycan it’s sort of like… I dunno a nice luxury people hauler. It’s pretty blah on the mountain roads IMO. Cayanne would be far far better.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy it and it’s the best handling in the class but come on… it’s nothing compared to a sports car at all.
Let me put everything I put in my X7 on road trips in a Taycan and see how it feels doing the same roads. Bet it won't compare to the X7…probably won't fit everything either.

You're comparing a sport car that's unloaded to the X7 and saying the car is better…shocking news!!

The guys/gals here are impressed with how the X7 handles doing the work it does and I get that completely. I have owned a lot of larger vehicles and my M50i is a blast always. I don't drive it anywhere and find myself wishing for another vehicle, I just enjoy it and THAT is impressive to me by itself and I bet why a lot of people love their X7.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:18 AM   #16
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

Doesn't get old for me, and I'm coming up on the 1 year mark. We've been having a real bad winter in Alaska, and yes, the snow tires and wheels have been awesome. I still get a smile on my face in various driving situations. And yes, absolutely. Carving up mountain roads in the X7 is just amazing. Doing the I-70 drive up the mountains for you would be incredible.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #17
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't own a Taycan; I'm sharing my enthusiasm for the vehicle I do own. And from experience, it's a gem. I'm sure your Taycan is lovely. Cheers!
Appreciate 3
Al Pinã1841.00
dmanb2b2134.00
      01-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #18
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yea I mean I don't get this mentality at all of the OP. It's a fine car but compared to my Taycan it's sort of like… I dunno a nice luxury people hauler. It's pretty blah on the mountain roads IMO. Cayanne would be far far better.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy it and it's the best handling in the class but come on… it's nothing compared to a sports car at all.
Let me put everything I put in my X7 on road trips in a Taycan and see how it feels doing the same roads. Bet it won't compare to the X7…probably won't fit everything either.

You're comparing a sport car that's unloaded to the X7 and saying the car is better…shocking news!!

The guys/gals here are impressed with how the X7 handles doing the work it does and I get that completely. I have owned a lot of larger vehicles and my M50i is a blast always. I don't drive it anywhere and find myself wishing for another vehicle, I just enjoy it and THAT is impressive to me by itself and I bet why a lot of people love their X7.
That ^
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #19
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Quote:
I don't own a Taycan; I'm sharing my enthusiasm for the vehicle I do own. And from experience, it's a gem. I'm sure your Taycan is lovely. Cheers!
Super fair. I recently got my X7 back from a 2 month long repair, and I was surprised how nice it feels to go fast in something insulated vs something sporty.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #20
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

I have a deposit for an lx600 f sport but thinking of waiting on the x7 lci. Lx won't be here until summer most likely. If the x7 lci has idrive8 and maybe a phev option i will probably go with the 23 x7
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #21
DravitX7
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 m50i

I’m also in love with how the X7 m50i drives. It drives like a smaller vehicle than it is. Very sporty for what it is. The V8 very rarely leaves me wanting more.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #22
Kivilig
Private
United_States
Rep

I really enjoy my car, last week I was in Chicago and rented Escalade I truly enjoyed it but honestly not sure what these germans do that their cars are in a different league,
I really enjoyed my x7 m50i but I have to confess after almost 6 months when I look at it feel a bit outdated to my eyes, so it got old fir me pretty fast,
Appreciate 0