BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #1
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Thule Roof Bars

I needed roof bars for the car. I have always used Thule.

I want them as long as possible, to maximise load carrying. After speaking to their customer services, they were unable to say which of their range of bar lengths would fit, apart from the recommended length.

After some measuring and testing, I can confirm the following.

127cm bars: these are the recommended bars. The bar overhangs the foot kit by about 4cm.

135cm bars: these fit perfectly. The bar overhangs the foot kit by about 10cm on each side of the car.

150cm bars: these will not fit. There is a 25cm slot on the underside of the bars into which the foot kit slides. Even at the minimum distance between the feet they are too far apart for the roof rails.

I went for the 135cm Wingbar Evo. These are the wing shaped streamlined bars. Not too noisy when driving with them. No idea on “fuel economy” - but not roof bars help that!
Appreciate 1
RedJon116.50
      02-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

I have Thule aero from 2016 and 753 rapid system. trying to find the appropriate kit (seems to me that it would be the 184023 or, as some sites say 4023 only).

But impossible to buy in Belgium...

Really don't feel like having to buy another set of feet and adapters...

Does anyone know if there is another kit that goes with the rapid system 753 and that fits our car?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroribeiro View Post
I have Thule aero from 2016 and 753 rapid system. trying to find the appropriate kit (seems to me that it would be the 184023 or, as some sites say 4023 only).

But impossible to buy in Belgium...

Really don't feel like having to buy another set of feet and adapters...

Does anyone know if there is another kit that goes with the rapid system 753 and that fits our car?

thanks!
According to the Thule website, the same combination of bar / foot and kit has remained unchanged for the iX3, X3 2018- and X3 2010-2017. Therefore, anything that fits the X3 since 2010, should also fit the iX3.

I found a Thule fit guide from 2015.
http://tetobox-budapest.hu/uploads/f...de_2015(1).pdf

This shows the X3 needs the following:
Wingbar 969/969B
Sidebar 892
Squarebar 769
Foot 753
Kit 4023

So I think you are correct in your assumption. However, it looks like the kit has been discontinued; I cannot find it in the UK either. The new kits use a completely different system to connect to the foot, so are not compatible with the old feet.

Have you tried ebay? There are a lot for sale there from people who have changed cars. And that kit has been around for 12 years now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:51 AM   #4
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Hi GDEvans
No where could i find the bloody kit (sorry for the expression) new. Instead of spending 190€ on a new set of Feet and Kit, I ended up buying at BMW with some discount. Came down to 220€ and at least i get the edge bars. I understand that quality might not be on par but should work for what i need.

Very surprised with not finding anywhere the kit, to be honest....As for second hand, i wouldn't work for me as I need them this friday (my fault, i know...)
Appreciate 0