BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2022, 07:55 AM   #1
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

UK EV Charger Grant - Moving Home

Hi folks,

Does anyone know the deal with moving home after having an EV charger installed under the OLEV Grant scheme?

1) Can I apply again at my new home and get a second grant?
2) If not, can I disconnect the charger and take it with me (using a qualified electrician obviously)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Hi folks,

Does anyone know the deal with moving home after having an EV charger installed under the OLEV Grant scheme?

1) Can I apply again at my new home and get a second grant?
2) If not, can I disconnect the charger and take it with me (using a qualified electrician obviously)
I looked at the following to double check what I thought:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-for-customers

It seems as far as point (1) is concerned I think you are out of luck. I read the 'Customer requirements' part twice but given the other points it seems evident that claiming at a new address is not allowed if you have previously had a grant.

The deadline for home owners at the end of March 2022 is looming so unless you are in the process of moving which it seems you might be you could be too late anyway. I believe installation has to be completed by the end of March and demand for installers and some chargers could is an issue. I am getting mine installed by my local electrician at the end of Feb so fingers crossed I am sorted.

NB: The grant continues past March for people in flats and rented accommodation.

As far as point (2) is concerned I don't think there is anything stopping you from taking it with you provided the installation at the new property meets the latest regulations. It is worth considering that EV charge points will probably be quite in demand with purchasers and given the grant will likely not available for your property past March then you could maybe agree a price for it with the purchaser or factor it into the property price?

I also wonder if the prices of units may come down a little when the grant finishes. I am having a Rolec unit installed which I know has had issues with the RCBO's in the past and it isn't the most attractive unit but interestingly my installer has said that a new design is coming out. We both however think that the new design won't be available before the grant finishes. Maybe the new design will coincide with a price reduction but no doubt supply/demand will determine this.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I totally agree with you on the cost of units coming down. It seems the grant is 'priced in' to the current offerings from all the major suppliers. If you look at the cost of the hardware of EVSEs and indeed if you open one up and look at the actual hardware inside, they are not complex units, I can't imagine they cost more than £100 to produce. Bascially a big switch relay with some cheap electronics to enable the remote connectivity.

My prediction is that they will drop to an average price of £499 installed once the grant ends, whereas they currently sit at about £799.

From my dealings with PodPoint it seems an awful lot of their time and resources is spent collecting, validating and submitting the grant documentation. These overheads will cease when the grant ends.

Last edited by supersebbo; 01-31-2022 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Even if you move right now, you wouldn't get the grant anyhow, pretty much all the suppliers/fitters are booked until the grant ends shortly anyway. Sure pricing will fall when it ends anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

It would be much cheaper to disconnect it and take it with you!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

in scotland we get the main gov grant £350 and another £250 from a scottish energy scheme, for the latter it said i had to complete the install by some date in may. For the former it was my electrican that done the paperwork so i dont know the deadline.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Needs to be done by 31 March
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:52 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
NB: The grant continues past March for people in flats
However, plugging in on the 12th floor can be tricky...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:34 AM   #9
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Are they really not extending the grants ?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:42 AM   #10
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom