BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Extended Blackline Trim

02-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Extended Blackline Trim

Does anyone know if at some point BMW switched from using a metal gunmetal chrome for the extended blackline trim to high glass black plastic? I could have sworn when I originally saw this in person that it was a gunmetal chrome but realized earlier today on my new 2022 it's a high glass plastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando X View Post
Does anyone know if at some point BMW switched from using a metal gunmetal chrome for the extended blackline trim to high glass black plastic? I could have sworn when I originally saw this in person that it was a gunmetal chrome but realized earlier today on my new 2022 it's a high glass plastic.
Could it be that you are referring to their "cerium", which comes standard on the M50i trim level unless you order the shadow line? Google it, it does have a bit of a gunmetal look to it. There's also several posts of cars with it on the thread "Phytonic vs Tanzanite"
      02-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Could it be that you are referring to their "cerium", which comes standard on the M50i trim level unless you order the shadow line? Google it, it does have a bit of a gunmetal look to it. There's also several posts of cars with it on the thread "Phytonic vs Tanzanite"
I do know what the cerium looks like and definitely not that. To clarify, maybe I would call it is more of a really darkened black chrome look but using metal vs. plastic. I could have sworn I saw one in a showroom with a really dark chrome metal as the extended shadowline vs. it being the high gloss plastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
I do know what the cerium looks like and definitely not that. To clarify, maybe I would call it is more of a really darkened black chrome look but using metal vs. plastic. I could have sworn I saw one in a showroom with a really dark chrome metal as the extended shadowline vs. it being the high gloss plastic.
Isn’t it all just painted plastic? I didn’t think it mattered if it was “chrome” or “black chrome” or shadowline, it’s all painted plastic parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I really don't know, but it looks great regardless.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

The option is called Extended Shadowline Trim.

Here is the description:
Highlight the dramatic aesthetics of your vehicle by adding expressive visual enhancements to the kidney frame, an air breather inlay and tailpipe finishers in black chrome, as well as kidney struts in striking, black high-gloss.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:06 AM   #7
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
I know what you mean, all shadowline is not alike in BMWland. There is a mix of materials on an X7 with extended shadowline trim, you could look at the difference in the material for the grille vs the trim around the windows for instance, but I don't think that's quite the black chrome you describe. The black chrome has a tint of grey in it and can actually be polished (vs the single stage paint on the straight black plastic crap), I think there might be a couple parts like that on an X7 with extended shadowline trim, but not all. I'd look, but Landon is out there raining on my parade.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 02-03-2022 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
I know what you mean, all shadowline is not alike in BMWland. There is a mix of materials on an X7 with extended shadowline trim, you could look at the difference in the material for the grille vs the trim around the windows for instance, but I don't think that's quite the black chrome you describe. The black chrome has a tint of grey in it and can actually be polished (vs the single stage paint on the straight black plastic crap), I think there might be a couple parts like that on an X7 with extended shadowline trim, but not all. I'd look, but Landon is out there raining on my parade.
Ha! It does still look great, just in hindsight would have preferred it to have been a very darkened chrome vs. heavy duty plastic from a materials perspective.

Still looks great though so can't complain.
Appreciate 0