F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW V3 or Ohlins? And Camber plates
Studio RSR

02-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

KW V3 or Ohlins? And Camber plates

The Ask:
Anyone running Millway camber plates with V3s?

Background:
I currently have some off brand "clubsport" style coilovers that I thought I would give a try. The amount of features for the cost seemed too good to pass (at the time). I believed I could adjust away anything I didn't like about them. Well I am regretting that decision.

They perform well at autocross, but daily driving is quite stressful. I am in full body clench and watch the road closely as to not hit anything too bad. Night driving is even more stressful. When I DO hit a bump, it hurts my soul as the car sounds like the frame is hitting the ground or something. Not sure if it's just hitting the internal bump stops, as the tires do not show contact, and it isn't a metal on metal sound as you'd hear from spring bind. The car still has about a two finger gap on all corners, and I am at 14-16 clicks out of 20. They are as high as the directions said they could support. Rates are linear 350F/950R.

Detail:
As the title shows, I am deciding between V3 and Ohlins for my xdrive. I am also leaning towards compliance over sheer performance in the twisties, hence the ask about V3s. I am afraid that the Ohlins will be about as harsh a ride as I have now, albeit HOPEFULLY without the front end BANG over the oddest bumps in the road. Our Macan S eats the same road imperfections on our commutes without batting an eye (road work, train tracks, divots, manhole covers, etc), and it is on simple base suspension. I'd like more of that.

NVH is not a problem here as I've already had setups with the standard ball bearings with steel camber plates on two cars (including this one). Autox will definitely continue this year, and planning to hit a couple road courses.

Am I wrong about the ohlins?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Not an expert on the F30 platform yet, but I run Ohlins R&T on my Cayman and I went 10% softer on the spring rates than they provide, and I run in the comfort setting of the coilover. The ride is well controlled and it "eats" bumps very quickly. It's hard to describe, you can tell the spring rates have gone up vs stock, but it's somehow more comfortable.

The challenge you will have is trying to come up with a setup that is good at AutoX as well as street - those are diverging needs. End of the day it will be a compromise regardless. There's no magic solution to fit all needs equally well unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Not an expert on the F30 platform yet, but I run Ohlins R&T on my Cayman and I went 10% softer on the spring rates than they provide, and I run in the comfort setting of the coilover. The ride is well controlled and it "eats" bumps very quickly. It's hard to describe, you can tell the spring rates have gone up vs stock, but it's somehow more comfortable.

The challenge you will have is trying to come up with a setup that is good at AutoX as well as street - those are diverging needs. End of the day it will be a compromise regardless. There's no magic solution to fit all needs equally well unfortunately.
Definitely agree there. Not trying to make these do both really well, but I'd prefer some more comfort while still having some stiffness for hpde. Not chasing tenths but anything better than stock is a win. Just not sure which of the two compromise on comfort more than the other. The ohlins would definitey hold up for hpde, and some reviews here say they are streetable, but we all know that last part is pretty subjective.

Do the cayman ohlins support PASM? You said that you keep them on comfort. This would be like the EDC on these cars.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:05 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Definitely agree there. Not trying to make these do both really well, but I'd prefer some more comfort while still having some stiffness for hpde. Not chasing tenths but anything better than stock is a win. Just not sure which of the two compromise on comfort more than the other. The ohlins would definitey hold up for hpde, and some reviews here say they are streetable, but we all know that last part is pretty subjective.

Do the cayman ohlins support PASM? You said that you keep them on comfort. This would be like the EDC on these cars.
My cayman didn't come with PASM, they don't have a PASM compatible module (for Ohlins). What I meant was they have recommended settings for "street", "aggressive street", and "track" - it's basically where you set the shock on it's 20 settings. I have it firmly in the "street" range of adjustment.

Talk to Barry @ 3DM Motorsports, he is a licensed Ohlins distributor and he can customize the set for you by choosing a softer spring, as well as re-valving the shocks to match if need be. He does that as part of his sale, and he's pretty knowledgeable about BMWs. The Ohlins (and other high quality systems) really shine through in dampening sophistication, and given you can customize the rates to match your needs and then still adjust the shocks easily is what you want. You can dial them up for HPDE, and dial them back for the street.

Last edited by asbrr; 02-03-2022 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #5
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

i have the KW V3's, so far they are awesome on the road. do my first trackday on them on sunday, so lets see if they can hold up
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      02-04-2022, 03:50 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

So I've ridden in F8X M3/M4 cars with the Ohlins R&T on the track. When they are going over the curbing, I clench my butt but to my surprise, I barely felt the impact at all.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      02-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #7
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

both are very good setups and will meet you're requirements but this is coming for someone who prefers a harsher ride.

i like the ohlins since they are rebuildable and the feedback on them is very good at the dual purpose application. I wonder if you can get them without the springs...

Last edited by brigade24; 02-05-2022 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: claritin clarity
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
both are very good setups and will meet you're requirements but this is coming for someone who prefers a harsher ride.

i like the ohlins since they are rebuildable and the feedback on them is very good at the dual purpose application. I wonder if you can get them without the springs...
What's bad about the Ohlins springs?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I posted multiple reviews/comments regarding Ohlins R&T.

is your friend...

Quality is always worth paying for, IMO.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #10
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

is your friend...

Yes Watsey I've read them all. But there aren't nearly as many reviews about KW V3s in this forum (compared to the F8x) which is what I wanted to focus on. I'm already leaning hard towards the ohlins but doing my due diligence. Plus you are the only data point I have found in this forum for the ohlins, so I've also taken that with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 05:12 PM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

is your friend...

Yes Watsey I've read them all. But there aren't nearly as many reviews about KW V3s in this forum (compared to the F8x) which is what I wanted to focus on. I'm already leaning hard towards the ohlins but doing my due diligence. Plus you are the only data point I have found in this forum for the ohlins, so I've also taken that with a grain of salt.
Fair enough

KW V3 were/are the basis of AC Schnitzer RS suspension - also not a huge number of people who made this choice (premium price product), but the RS kit has a good rep.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #12
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So I finally ran the KW V3’s in a track environment. The initial settings from KW were rubbish. Added more bump front a rear to stiffen the setup and it was amazing. Very neutral, deals with kerbs and bumps well and confidence inspiring in the corners. Really rate them
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      02-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #13
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
So I finally ran the KW V3’s in a track environment. The initial settings from KW were rubbish. Added more bump front a rear to stiffen the setup and it was amazing. Very neutral, deals with kerbs and bumps well and confidence inspiring in the corners. Really rate them
Good to hear! How many clicks are you talking about? Did you drive it home after, same track settings or dialed back again?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 05:48 PM   #14
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Drove it home on the same track settings, and was actually quite comfortable. I do get a few noises from the camber tops though.

I did 3 more clicks hard on the front (compared to KW recommended) and 2 on the rear.

I think it may need just a tad more on the rear to get more rotation mid corner. but this is now personal preference.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      02-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #15
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
the springs are good but too soft for me and what I'm doing so i would swap them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #16
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:
the springs are good but too soft for me and what I'm doing so i would swap them out.
Interesting. I know you are an avid autoxer from your posts here. So how much higher have you gone in spring rates?

I am currently on 350lb/950lb with my setup, and first time ever at autox it held up pretty well, and it was pretty wet out. Not much body roll, but I did also have an lsd, new ECS summers, and a strut bar. I'd like to not go steps backwards in performance, but just increase the regular compliance for daily driving. There is just no compression at all on the coilovers I am running. And rather than spend more time and money with springs on these I'm just going to start with an already good setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #17
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I don't blame you. that's a good approach and will save you money.

Those are good rates...very balanced.

right now im at 450in/lb up front and 1200in/lb in the back. those rates are set for the tires i run but i have a few sets that I can swap in and out depending on the tires im running but those rates seem to hit the grip limit before having to do a revalve.

I already have a set of new BC dampers that will be revalved if I can find someone to do it. otherwise, it will be MCS or ohlins.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      03-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #18
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: V3s and Millway street camber plates ordered. Hope to have everything installed before April's end to start the autox season.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:50 PM   #19
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
The Ask:
Anyone running Millway camber plates with V3s?

Background:
I currently have some off brand "clubsport" style coilovers that I thought I would give a try.
I did a lot of looking around and riding in other people's cars and found that outside of a race track or highway, clubsport suspension was rather stiff. You mention a crashing sound. In my experience that's usually when the car hits the bumpstops. I would guess on a coilover the stops are internal. How hard would it be to remove them? I wonder if they are not chopped to pieces. There was a picture, posted by FaRKle! if I recall correctly of chewed up bumps on his Bilsteins. I wonder if this is the fate of your internal bumpstops. If they are in decent shape, cut them back 10mm (1/2 inch) and see if it helps.

There was a suggestion above to go beyond the recommended settings, that might be a next easy step as removing bumpstops is going to be a multi-hour job.

Please post your impressions of the V3. I've be going down the damper-bump-spring road for the last 6-8 months and while I find it interesting it's not for the faint of heart. The quest for the best all-round suspension can be long and difficult depending on the roads you face.
      04-19-2022, 01:12 AM   #20
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Update, so i have the millway, V3's and just did the KW swaybar.... sway bar makes a huge difference..... worth every dollar and all the blood sweat and tears putting it in.

Still need to do the rear bar though, but want to go to an event on May 1st to see how the current setup feels at the limit
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur993.50
      04-19-2022, 06:47 AM   #21
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
Update, so i have the millway, V3's and just did the KW swaybar.... sway bar makes a huge difference..... worth every dollar and all the blood sweat and tears putting it in.

Still need to do the rear bar though, but want to go to an event on May 1st to see how the current setup feels at the limit
I've already had to do the oil pan gasket so I don't think I'll do the sway bar on this car. I do have a strut bar so hopefully that keeps roll to a min on this new setup. Last autox season I didn't feel any roll on the current setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #22
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I’m pretty sure the strut bar is more about keeping your suspension geometry consistent by stopping your strut towers from flexing, but won’t impact roll stiffness?
Appreciate 1
Polo088161616.00