THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 2017 M240 xDrive Stock Wheel Size Discrepancy

02-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
Endaar
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 Convertible

2017 M240 xDrive Stock Wheel Size Discrepancy

Hi All,

Find myself in a bit of an odd situation. I've owned the car since new. OEM tires were 225/40/18s all around. This is a convertible if it matters.

A few years back I clipped a curb hard in the snow and trashed both passenger side rims. The dealer ordered two replacement rims, and with it being an AWD car with non-staggered tires, I am under the impression they ordered two of the same rim.

Fast forward to now, the tires have been replaced and rotated a few times, and the same dealer discovers that I have one rim wider than the other three. It had been rotated to the front, and given the minimal clearance between the rim and the front strut, it was noticeable from underneath. They initially thought something was bent but then determined it was just the wider rim. There is no visible difference on the outer sidewall.

What I am trying to figure out is what size wheels are supposed to be on the car. I would expect it should be four of the same wheel, which I believe is normally the 7.5" x 18" for the 225 tires.

Dealer is saying that even though the car came with non-staggered tires, the wheels are still supposed to be staggered. If that's the case, they ordered me two front wheels rather than one front and one rear. I cannot find the paperwork from that service but I was told it shows two of the same part number. Under that theory, they owe me an 8" rear wheel.

Except...I still have the rear wheel that came on the car from the factory. As it was the less damaged of the two passenger wheels, I asked to keep it. I know I have the rear wheel (based on the appearance after curbing it), and the dealer's paperwork confirms having returned the rear wheel to me. But it's a 7.5" wheel, P/N 7845870. This would appear to indicate that the car shipped from the factory (or should have been) on 7.5" rims all around.

Given this, it seems either they ordered two different rims and their paperwork is wrong, or the car mistakenly shipped from the factory with one 8" rim.

Sorry for the length. Long story short the dealer knows they owe me a wheel, I just want to make sure I get the correct size.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Endaar
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

AFAIK they should indeed be 7.5s all around for the 225 square setup, and 8" in the back for the 225/245 staggered, but the offset on the 8" (ET52) should make it not close to even fitting on the front. Are you sure the wheel is wider and it is not a 7.5 with a different offset? They seem to have a few of those as well, 40, 43, and 45 but no idea if they cross rim styles.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/...drive-usdm-335
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
Endaar
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 Convertible

Thanks for the info. The oddball wheel is stamped 8", so yes it is definitely wider.
Appreciate 0