BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Am I missing something ??

Anybody looked at a Zap Map website and tried the Journey Cost Calculator?

This allows you do to a direct comparison calculation of [in my case] a current Audi Q5 diesel and a IX3 for daily / monthly/ one off journey costs.
If I am reading this correctly then a 50 mile DAILY trip using electricity at 21p per Kwh [taken from recent home bill] and say diesel at 149.00 per litre....then the saving is around £78 PER ANNUM.....or £6.50 per trip !!!!..
So am I shortly shelling out £60k for yes a very nice car but also for this rather small saving......or am I missing something completely?....hope so.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Not sure what miles per kwh you input (perhaps it has it own average/WLTP figures) but from the £6.50/£78 it has given you then it appears that you are doing exactly one 50 mile trip each month and indeed your savings would only be £78 on an annual mileage of 600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeam View Post
Anybody looked at a Zap Map website and tried the Journey Cost Calculator?

This allows you do to a direct comparison calculation of [in my case] a current Audi Q5 diesel and a IX3 for daily / monthly/ one off journey costs.
If I am reading this correctly then a 50 mile DAILY trip using electricity at 21p per Kwh [taken from recent home bill] and say diesel at 149.00 per litre....then the saving is around £78 PER ANNUM.....or £6.50 per trip !!!!..
So am I shortly shelling out £60k for yes a very nice car but also for this rather small saving......or am I missing something completely?....hope so.
I just ran the same calculation and got these results (attached)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

It is fair to say that the savings are not what they were 7 years ago. Free rapid charging; £5000 grant and a higher PICG come to mind. I well recall the outcry when Dale Vince announced some very modest kWh prices for his Ecotricity chargers.

In truth, unless you can do most of your charging at home at, say, Go prices then EVs will be as costly to run in the future as ICE vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Unless you get solar which is something I’m thinking about. Still though there seems to be plenty of free chargers in Scotland but I don’t know how long that will last
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

According to your first post you do 10,000 miles a year, so, based on hollpe figures above, you would be saving £1250 per year.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Smile

Thanks Hollpe.

Yes I was missing something... I was simply looking at the savings per trip and NOT [assuming the same milage] over the whole year.

Therefore now assuming the definite savings in future road tax charges [AUDI] along with hopefully lower servicing costs like oil, filters, etc etc....then the IX3 looks a better propersition for the longer term. Lets hope that electricity charges at home don't move up yet another big step...although that is out of our control.

Roll on April.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:39 AM   #8
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Hollpe.

Yes I was missing something... I was simply looking at the savings per trip and NOT [assuming the same milage] over the whole year.

Therefore now assuming the definite savings in future road tax charges [AUDI] along with hopefully lower servicing costs like oil, filters, etc etc....then the IX3 looks a better propersition for the longer term. Lets hope that electricity charges at home don't move up yet another big step...although that is out of our control.

Roll on April.
Lower servicing costs……. This is BMW we are talking about. My servicing contract is 2 services for £534. A 2 year service on my i3 last year took about 40 minutes, which included a wash and vacuum, cost just under £250.

A Year 4 insured warranty will cost you about £1000 on today’s prices. Is it worth it? My I3’s EME replacement, fortunately under warranty, was priced at more than £4000.

Road fund… I think that the UK jury is out as to whether EVs will continue to pay nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #9
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Hollpe.

Roll on April.
One of the tricks for the future may be to ensure that you only have a "dumb" chargepoint as it will make it more difficult for anyone to accurately identify exactly what amount of your electricity usage has gone towards charging your car and then apply a higher rate of tax to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #10
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Road fund… I think that the UK jury is out as to whether EVs will continue to pay nothing.
I agree. Something will need to be done to fill the hole left by the increasing popularity of EVs. The income has been reducing from ICE cars as manufacturers strove to reduce emissions.

It has already been suggested that a pence-per-mile solution will be introduced. Although I'm not sure how they will police it, and prevent fraud. Nobody seems to have an answer on that - which tells me it is at least 5 years away. It has been suggested that it will be compulsory for all vehicles from 2030, and voluntary for EVs from 2023. The incentives to opt in will have to be strong. I don't think I have yet met anybody who would be happy to pay a voluntary tax!

In the meantime, I suspect that the government will continue to increase the RFL for ICE cars, making them less attractive and encouraging the move to EVs.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
One of the tricks for the future may be to ensure that you only have a "dumb" chargepoint as it will make it more difficult for anyone to accurately identify exactly what amount of your electricity usage has gone towards charging your car and then apply a higher rate of tax to it.
Whilst it is slightly more difficult, it can be done. When you charge a 7kW, your energy usage goes through the roof. I can look at the hourly consumption graph on my electricity supplier's app and identify when I have been charging. No doubt the law would be changed to allow them to levy an estimated tax for those charging with a dumb charger.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #12
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I just put my car into the BMW service booking website and these are the prices it came up with:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:32 AM   #13
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

I certainly wouldn't be expecting to replace discs and pads at 12,000 miles, especially on a car that has regenerative braking.
Just for reference, my current EV has 77,000 miles on the original discs and pads.

Plus, I thought the service interval for iX3 was 18,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:29 AM   #14
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't be expecting to replace discs and pads at 12,000 miles, especially on a car that has regenerative braking.
Just for reference, my current EV has 77,000 miles on the original discs and pads.

Correct. It is every 2 years or 18,000 miles with some items on CBS (eg; brakes pads). If users are wearing out their tyres in 6,000 miles then I would have thought that this must involve some mechanical braking.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #15
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:

I had just entered 12000 as random mileage just to bring up the service items. It does say 18k miles or 2 years when you expand them.

My 5 series only had 1 set of pads at 50k and they still had 2/3rds of wear left when I sold it at 67k. I very much doubt I'll ever need to change the pads on the iX3 as I'll more than likely be changing it around 4 years old.

The brake prices are extortionate from the dealer! One of the techs from my local dealer did them for me at home one Saturday morning for 1/3rd of the price using pagid pads (these are one of the BMW OEM suppliers). He also did the wife's 3 series discs & pads all round for a similar saving.

Only brake fluid changes so up on the service history. So it's not an issue come resale time having the brakes done elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #16
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Correct. It is every 2 years or 18,000 miles with some items on CBS (eg; brakes pads). If users are wearing out their tyres in 6,000 miles then I would have thought that this must involve some mechanical braking.
I am not going to be happy if all I can get out of the tyres is 6000 miles.
On my current car with more power, more torque, more weight and AWD, I am getting 30,000+.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #17
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I am not going to be happy if all I can get out of the tyres is 6000 miles.
On my current car with more power, more torque, more weight and AWD, I am getting 30,000+.
6000 miles tyre change...where did that come from? Surely not.
Appreciate 0