E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Radio and trailer hitch stopped working (and a little introduction)

02-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
Pls3drvr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2005 (E90)

Radio and trailer hitch stopped working (and a little introduction)

Hi everyone,

So firstoff a tiny introduction (seeing as im new here).

I got myself a E90 325i from '05, nice car but needs some work. Been driving an E46 328i from '99 before this, all the issues with it were fixed by myself but it was time for a newer model.

So the '05... was from a person who "loved" their BMW (is what the shop i bought it from said). Well, some people shouldn't tinker on their cars. Broken shocks (although recently replaced), some paint damage, etc, etc.

Yesterday I wanted to take out the radio so i can replace it with a better working version of the Professional one (I know how to code and the unit i got now has issues with the pixels and internal amp).
When i took out the radio i heard a short (yes I know you should probably take off the negative from the battery, but normally people tend to leave the wiring with the original radio... original), so now i got no more power on the radio, but also not on the trailer hitch (got the version which pops out from under the car).

I checked all fuses, even meassured the relay (30g) which seems to be fine... Is there something i'm missing or am I just plain stupid and thinking to hard? Maybe you guys got an idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you try checking for power with a Voltmeter.
There is another fuse in the back of the Radio.
Radio must be programmed for sound system type
I know you mentioned you knew that.
It should at least power up the display if it has power.
I have had my Radio out without disconnecting the battery
no problems with doing that.

The IBS (infernal battery system) in these cars can cut power to various modules
if the battery get's to low. (Bmw intelligent system = Infernal)

You might want to measure power to each to the hot lines coming of the battery
distribution block to start. Also what is the current non running battery voltage.

When you change something and it gets worse back out of the change.
Maybe possible the Radio you bought as a replacement is bad?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210523 Revision.pdf (235.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf 6a E90 GENERAL VEHICLE ELECTRICAL (1).pdf (3.52 MB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf 6b E90 GENERAL VEHICLE ELECTRICAL II (1).pdf (1.72 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 02-07-2022 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Pls3drvr
Registered
Rep

I'll have to come back to that on Thursday, car is at the office now as they don't want me driving to the job without a company car.

I'll have a measure of the distribution block and change some things back. See what that does. Thanks for the info so far though!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
Pls3drvr
Registered
Rep

Ok, so sorry for it taking longer then expected. Work has been really crazy the last few weeks and this time no exception.

I did forget to mention that the short was caused cause the previous owner left some " exposed" wires. There was some tape on it but yeah, mostly that didn't do anything.

As for the car:
* the voltage was 12.55 when i measured after letting it stand for a while.
* I dont have an IBS, the negative terminal has no extra wires/blocks on it except the ground wire
* I measured the distribution block fuses and they all seem fine to me, atleast, I measure a voltage so in my opinion they should be alright.

Last edited by Pls3drvr; 02-21-2022 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Typing error
Appreciate 0