BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
lenuisible
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B9

Drive recorder questions

Hi Everyone,

I should receive my ix3 beginning of March and was wondering if drive recorder is working while the car is locked. I imagine not, which may be justified by power consumption and privacy issues, but Tesla does it with limitations, so why not BMW
Having it triggered in case of a shock could be useful...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Not too sure, I know I can initiate a remote camera view which shows me a 360 view of the car and surroundings, but I doubt the actual car recorder works
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:48 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
Not too sure, I know I can initiate a remote camera view which shows me a 360 view of the car and surroundings, but I doubt the actual car recorder works
The 360 degree image is a really useful feature for showing off to friends. A bit like the gesture control. Beyond that, I am not sure of the benefits!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:32 AM   #4
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Yeah its a bit of a gimmick, too slow to load and its not proactive - i.e. wont let you know if someone touches your car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Slow to load, but I have it set to save recordings from 20 seconds before the button is pressed so serves its purpose when the car is in use. Equivalent of a dashcam that is only on when ignition is on.

Would have been nice if it was used for some kind of security when the car is parked though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
lenuisible
Rep

OK, thanks Guys for the answers!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

There's enhancements coming to the 360 camera from the app, what I can't say, but there is (nda)
Appreciate 1
lakmus23.50
      02-11-2022, 04:58 AM   #8
lenuisible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
There's enhancements coming to the 360 camera from the app, what I can't say, but there is (nda)
Hi the_ape , that sounds interesting, thanks for your input, and for all the info you shared so far. I'm reading this forum for a couple of months waiting for my car to arrive, and you've provided a lot of interesting stuff !
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
missmilly27
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
The 360 degree image is a really useful feature for showing off to friends. A bit like the gesture control. Beyond that, I am not sure of the benefits!
Jus reading threads about drive recorder. Learned the hard way a few days ago. It really works as it says it does. I had someone drive me off the road, like I wasn't there. He came at me from my left-side practically side by side. Drove me out of my lane onto a small curb & into a guide rail. The drive recorder I thought was useless captured the entire accident start to finish from both mirrors, the front & rear. It is the shit!!! A dash cam would've never captured what drive recorder captured bc dash cam has 1-point of view.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmilly27 View Post
Jus reading threads about drive recorder. Learned the hard way a few days ago. It really works as it says it does. I had someone drive me off the road, like I wasn't there. He came at me from my left-side practically side by side. Drove me out of my lane onto a small curb & into a guide rail. The drive recorder I thought was useless captured the entire accident start to finish from both mirrors, the front & rear. It is the shit!!! A dash cam would've never captured what drive recorder captured bc dash cam has 1-point of view.
Sorry to hear that. The feature sounds brilliant!

How do you download the footage? Have you managed to make a claim and is your car damaged?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:24 PM   #11
MM087
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this, would be good to see how the footage looks in real time, debating If i should buy a dedicated dash cam or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
missmilly27
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM087 View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear about this, would be good to see how the footage looks in real time, debating If i should buy a dedicated dash cam or not.
Sorry…having issues wit this app. Anyway, I don't have the actual video downloaded from the vehicle due to lack of storage on my thumb drive I had available but I will b going back to get the video on Mon. I did take a video of what was captured on my iPhone & it's very incriminating. This allows no one to give a version of what happened bc it's all there with exception to…why? I sent it to my insurance adjuster & she was blown away by footage. Anyway, if I could figure out how to get the video on here I'd be happy to share. It seems to not like the video. I've tried to download it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #13
missmilly27
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent ninja View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. The feature sounds brilliant!

How do you download the footage? Have you managed to make a claim and is your car damaged?
U need a thumb drive to download it. I didn't have enough memory on the one I had in my car from forever ago so I ordered one to take back out Mon to attempt to get videos again. And yes, there is damage. I'm hoping it looks worst than it is. They haven't broken it down yet to see what's going on mechanically but the suspension is a real possibility. Driver/Pass Fenders, Wheels,Tires, Front Bumper, Lip, Passenger Headlight & whatever else isn't visible to the eye. No fluids were leaking. Parts!!! I may as well be waiting for a space ship to be built!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep

Ouch!!
Wish you all the best getting this fixed quickly
Appreciate 0