E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Non-BOV Chargepipe Diverter Valve Outlets - can I just plug them?

02-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Non-BOV Chargepipe Diverter Valve Outlets - can I just plug them?

Hi there, I'm currently running a BMS chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, and I want to change it to a non-BOV chargepipe. I threw the old OEM piping & diverter valves in the trash about 10 years ago when I originally did this mod, so those parts are currently unavailable.

My question is about non-BOV chargepipes: Can I buy the non-BOV chargepipe and just plug the diverter valve port holes with rubber caps, much like I did to the port holes on the OEM intake piping that my current chargepipe w/BOV is currently installed into? Or are the upgraded diverter valves a necessary part of the non-BOV chargepipe for the n54?

The upgraded diverter valves in question are usually listed in the drop-down menu along with the assorted BOVs that can be paired with these chargepipes on numerous retailers' websites. If possible, I'd just like to buy the non-BOV chargepipe for $150, plug the 2 port holes with rubber caps, and call it a day. Would this cause a backpressure problem and blow my intake piping apart? If that's going to happen then I'll just buy the $350 diverter valves that are sold optionally with the chargepipe. Thanks for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleBanger View Post
Hi there, I'm currently running a BMS chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, and I want to change it to a non-BOV chargepipe. I threw the old OEM piping & diverter valves in the trash about 10 years ago when I originally did this mod, so those parts are currently unavailable.

My question is about non-BOV chargepipes: Can I buy the non-BOV chargepipe and just plug the diverter valve port holes with rubber caps, much like I did to the port holes on the OEM intake piping that my current chargepipe w/BOV is currently installed into? Or are the upgraded diverter valves a necessary part of the non-BOV chargepipe for the n54?

The upgraded diverter valves in question are usually listed in the drop-down menu along with the assorted BOVs that can be paired with these chargepipes on numerous retailers' websites. If possible, I'd just like to buy the non-BOV chargepipe for $150, plug the 2 port holes with rubber caps, and call it a day. Would this cause a backpressure problem and blow my intake piping apart? If that's going to happen then I'll just buy the $350 diverter valves that are sold optionally with the chargepipe. Thanks for any insight!
Are you saying you want no bov and no diverter valves !?

You need to have either or to vent the pressure or yes you are going to cause a lot of issues.

I have forge dvs on my vrsf charge pipe and i vent them to atmosphere.
      02-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post

You need to have either or to vent the pressure or yes you are going to cause a lot of issues.

I want a n54 chargepipe with no BOV and I'm wondering if I need to buy the additional diverter valves to make it work, or if it will work without them (much like a n55 chargepipe)? Or is it simply necessary to buy the chargepipe w/ diverter valves to make this work, period? I just REALLY want to get rid of the BOV "wooossshhh", I'm too old now for that sound to be coming from my car. Is there any loud wooosshh coming from your valves when they vent to atmosphere?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You need to get a charge pipe for diverter valves(DV's) and also buy some new DV's if you don't have the stock ones. Yes you NEED either diverter valves or BOV's(one or the other) connected to the charge pipe for the car to run properly.

FYI, the N55 doesn't have diverters on the charge pipe, but it is only because the Diverter Valve is electronic on the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post

I want a n54 chargepipe with no BOV and I'm wondering if I need to buy the additional diverter valves to make it work, or if it will work without them (much like a n55 chargepipe)? Or is it simply necessary to buy the chargepipe w/ diverter valves to make this work, period? I just REALLY want to get rid of the BOV "wooossshhh", I'm too old now for that sound to be coming from my car. Is there any loud wooosshh coming from your valves when they vent to atmosphere?
Yes you need to have either DV valves or BOV for the n54. The n55 has a valve closer to the turbo. One is needed to vent the pressure once the throttle body closes.

I think the ones that are non bov or Dv are for a single turbo setup .. so more custom. You still have to have one somewhere on the charge pipe to vent the boost.

Yes mine are decently loud. But my car is auto, it does not whoosh between gears because it shifts too fast. Just when i let off the gas.

For quietest solution go with diverter valves vented into oem locations AND use the stock air box ( I prefer the stock box over dual cones anyway).

If you vent them to stock locations but you have an intake, you are still going to hear them.
      02-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Navykiller
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is Stick

Quote:

Think of it like this. With plugged DV holes, and no BOV. Where would the excess air pressure go to when the throttle body closes? one way is a metal wall, so the other way it goes. That would be your turbo. Buy a CP for DVs and buy forge DVs if you want a stock sound, instead of whoosh
2011 335is 6spd - White with Black Base : 5in VRSF IC / BMS CP Raceport BOV / Arm DP / RB Inlets / JB4 w/ MHD BEF Race / Meth cm10 / Modified CDV / BMS DCI / Stage 2 LPFP / Spec 3+ Clutch / - RB 2+ Turbos SHE LIVES \ Ew @ Comic Sans
1992 NA6 Smurf miata - pretty much dead / parting out
2005 Ex 250 ninja
Appreciate 0