home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
mondie
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR TrackEd, FK8 Type R

New UK member about to order an M240i

Evening forum,

It seems there is a good group of owners here who are from the USA and Europe, so thought I would join in.

We have finalised a deal on an M240i through the NHS Forces scheme and will be placing an order tomorrow. We are being told delivery will be six months which is fine by us.

Spec wise, it has to be Thundernight with black interior. I would dearly love to get Opal but it is not an option and I am not feeling bold enough to chance Cognac leather and cannot find any photos anywhere of this combo (probably confirming my taste may be off ).

Is there anything we should be aware of before placing an order? It all seems pretty straightforward and BMW has been great to deal with to date.

Cheers,
Simon (mondie)

Last edited by mondie; 02-14-2022 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
LA2912
Private
Rep
Drives: On Order: BG G42 M240i xdrive

Evening mate and congrats on the order.

I think there's a few UK lads and lasses (myself included) who are awaiting delivery mid march/early April. The spec sounds good to me, absolutely nothing wrong with playing it safe!

As for the order process and build process its been (touch wood) plain sailing for me. There's been nothing removed from the specification I've ordered.

I managed to get a similar deal to what Park Lane are offering. My local dealer matched their emergency services quote for me. I'm just looking forward to get my hands on it now!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
mondie
Rep

Thanks for the welcome and good to hear it has been smooth for you. I also tried Audi and MB but BMW was head and shoulders more responsive and professional. On that alone, I would have chosen BMW, even without having an affinity for the brand. When did you order for an Apil delivery?

OMG, I just noticed the daft typo in the title, will have to see if I can change that
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Good luck, join the waiting game.
Ordered my M240i last August knowing it was going to be a while. Unfortunately due to shortages of chips things have been pushed back, it's not just a BMW thing, all markets have been impacted.
I've been told, maybe now a June delivery, could be sooner. Production slated for March. I went for black external & black interior. Once it arrives, will post lots of photos.
Appreciate 1
mondie19.00
      02-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
LA2912
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondie View Post
Thanks for the welcome and good to hear it has been smooth for you. I also tried Audi and MB but BMW was head and shoulders more responsive and professional. On that alone, I would have chosen BMW, even without having an affinity for the brand. When did you order for an Apil delivery?

OMG, I just noticed the daft typo in the title, will have to see if I can change that
Yeah, this will be my 3rd BMW in 6 years and after dealing with other manufacturers for my other half's car I can say BMW and their service wins hands down.

I ordered originally in September but cancelled and reordered with another dealership in mid December. It was built on the 25th Jan. Everything the genuis has told me online has been accurate so far.

I know a few have had nightmares with dates being pushed back. Park Lane from what jm aware of are pretty reliable and realistic when it comes to estimates
Appreciate 1
mondie19.00
      02-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
mondie
Rep

Thats good to hear on Park Lane and I guess since the UK is still waiting for its first batch of cars, many of the early buyers are all grouped up in this first delivery. Hopefully, as more supply comes online lead times will settle somewhat. I have read that the plant in Mexico isn't suffering from chip issues like Germany seems to be with some other models.

It all bodes well and six months lead time is fine by us.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
mondie
Rep

Did you both option the dark Shadowline option? It looks good in photos but the joy of buying blind is you are never quite sure. It does look quite stealthy with the purple paint and I think I prefer that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Did you both option the dark Shadowline option? It looks good in photos but the joy of buying blind is you are never quite sure. It does look quite stealthy with the purple paint and I think I prefer that.
There has been plenty of high quality photos posted on line in differing light conditions that you can be pretty confident in what you see is what you get. The purple has more color "flop" than just about any production paint I've seen, that is what makes it so interesting to me. On the other hand that old MOPAR purple...you couldn't pay me enough to have it on a car. I was tempted with this Thundernight color but thought i would tire of it in a bit (perhaps getting conservative as i age?).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
LA2912
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've gone for brooklyn grey, shadowline and pro pack, along with cognac leather.
Appreciate 1
mondie19.00
      02-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
mondie
Rep

That will look fantastic, that would be my preferred combo but the Mrs cannot see past purple, so purple it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
wspalding
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2912 View Post
I've gone for brooklyn grey, shadowline and pro pack, along with cognac leather.
Sounds like my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
wspalding
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
That will look fantastic, that would be my preferred combo but the Mrs cannot see past purple, so purple it is.
Not that the M240i will be a common sight where I live but, so many orders on this forum have chosen thundernight exterior that I’m glad I went with a different color. It is a striking color though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #13
MarkFine
Rep
Drives: M240i G42 2022 PBlue.

G'day fellow right hand drive people.

Hello, Ordered my M240i 02Dec, and have been trolling youtube and forums for as much information I can get on the car. Very excited and reassured I have bought an awesome car. Only problem was very limited information or pictures on a right hand drive. Very North American focused. I have been told build date was 26Jan, shipped from Mexico 12Feb and arrival in Australia 08Mar. All options were ordered and none were excluded from build, which is great news. Will update any changes but hopefully next post will be pictures. I went with the portimao blue because IMO that's the best colour for this model. Happy motoring and please post any pics of your RHD G42's. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #14
mondie
Rep

Welcome, Mark from a fellow Aussie. You are right that most of the stuff on YouTube is US or German but I expect that will change pretty soon.

Our other car is blue, otherwise, I may have been with you on Portimao but once I suggested an M240i to the Mrs and she was it in purple, any further discussion was over
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e

I've ordered via Park Lane NHS scheme too. Great discount!

Mine is Brooklyn Grey with Cognac leather. I decided against the pro
pack and the shadowline in the end, thinking that the Cerium set off the BG nicely. I'm also not convinced by the stick on arches or the wider front wheels.

2CMP M240i xDrive Coupe B58 3.0i

C4P Brooklyn Grey
MAPQ Cognac with Mocca Contrast Stitching Vernasca Leather

Z0T Technology Plus Pack

ZGX Comfort Pack

ZVF M Adaptive Suspension
3M2 M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
403 Electric Glass Sunroof
4KK Aluminium Tetragon Interior Trim
5AS Driving Assistant
5DF Active Cruise Control
688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System

Appreciate 1
mondie19.00
      02-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
DougMcL
Major
Rep

What surprises me is that the UK prices are WAY WAY less than the German prices, having done a little playing on the German configurator. I suspect that the US is cheaper still.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
mondie
Rep

Agreed, it is a good deal in the current climate buying from Park Lane. We confirmed our order and paid the deposit today. Thundernight with black leather and Shadowline with all options except towbar. It should make a fantastic car for the pair of us as our daily. I intend to keep an eye on the configurator and should Opal leather become an option, look to change to it before our order locks. North America gets many more choices of leather which the UK doesn't, I have no idea why, unless it's related to the different M Sport seats we get.

Doug, in case you weren't aware, if you collect the car yourself you can get back the £300 you are being charged for delivery. That will get you a train ticket and a night in London.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #18
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Don't think I'm paying the £300 delivery charge! I have other issues to sort though. I'll wait till the car is with them before sorting those though!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #19
doogdeb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

I had a call from my sales guy today, and I'm looking at middle of May. I ordered back in August. Apparently their demonstrators aren't arriving until end of April, then customers cars after that. Spec below.
      02-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #20
Beemer89
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW %E2%93%82%EF%B8%8F240I X D

Welcome, great colour choice and also the colour I went for.

There seems to be quite a few Thundernight orders but imo the previous M240 was a rare sight on the road as it is, so as much as there seems to be a lot of us on here who have placed orders I personally feel the reality of seeing them on the road day to day will be a rare sight.

I ordered 2 weeks before Christmas last year and my car has now been built and is on track for being at my dealership last week of March so fingers crossed all goes to plan as it has so far.

My dealers demo will be on site on the 10th March I've been told so I will be sure to go down for a look and a drive as this is the first car I've brought a car without actually viewing one in the flesh.

Counting down the weeks now and hoping we all get our delivery's asap.
Appreciate 2
pbw247.50
      02-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #21
mondie
Rep

My heart sunk a little when I saw doog's post and the nine-month lead time, but Beemer, you have restored my hope that six months is realistic.

I agree with you, seeing another Thundernight on the road will be rare. The colour choice on the M240i is poor so I wonder if they will drop it and add some more interesting colours later in the year.
Appreciate 1
Beemer89154.00
      02-17-2022, 04:54 PM   #22
Beemer89
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW %E2%93%82%EF%B8%8F240I X D

Quote:
My heart sunk a little when I saw doog's post and the nine-month lead time, but Beemer, you have restored my hope that six months is realistic.

I agree with you, seeing another Thundernight on the road will be rare. The colour choice on the M240i is poor so I wonder if they will drop it and add some more interesting colours later in the year.
Yeah it seems that there is a lot of mixed Info out there tbh, but if it's the car for you defiantly makes sense getting the order in as soon as you can in order to get another month off the time line of Estimated delivery regardless of time frame you've been advised.

I personally would of gone for a individual colour and gone Twilight Purple if I could have but was told individual paint isn't available on the 2 series , but none the less the car in general will defiantly be a rare sight on the road imo atleast.

I'm sure they will probably add a couple of different colours and a cabriolet variant over time.
Appreciate 2
mondie19.00