BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

new EV considerations

I have a 530e and intend my next car to be a full EV. I admire what Elon Musk has accomplished but don't like the man and don't like the rigid ideas he has for his vehicles (e.g., no binnacle, no HUD on the 3 and Y). But for anyone other than Tesla, I want the charging infrastructure to be better built out. But my car is comfortable and fine so my timeline is late 2023 or 2024.

I only have a 20 amp dedicated line for charging so my plan would be to keep a baseline charge and supplement at night at home. But if my baseline runs low, I want the ability to juice it up quickly at a fast charger to rebuild the baseline.

I want a performance vehicle with excellent range. Most offer one or the other. I have a refundable deposit on a Lucid Air (which does offer both but is a new player and is having a lot of initial issues) but BMW is definitely a player. While the BMW range is substantially less than the Lucid, the results I have seen suggest that it holds its range very well compared to other BEVs.

When I am ready...next year of the year after...I think it will be an exciting time to buy a BEV.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Not specific to the iX or even BMW EVs, but an interesting series on EVs (and alternatives) and environmental impact in general, and how we should (probably) think about the concept (as in, nothing currently is zero emissions). It also addresses the global quandary of how we plan our transportation future with our current world energy resources....

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:46 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I want a performance vehicle with excellent range. Most offer one or the other.
The Lucid definitely looks to be the best at offering both, that being said, there are also the drawbacks of owning a car from a fresh new company as well as overall limited choices of spec/options.

As for BMW, Audi, Mercedes, I would say with their EV's you will get one or another. The question is, what is your definition of performance? And how much do you want power wise? Coming from a 530e, even the "regular" non-performance branded EV models may suit this definition as they'll prove to be quicker and overall provide a more responsive powertrain than your current daily.
      02-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The Lucid definitely looks to be the best at offering both, that being said, there are also the drawbacks of owning a car from a fresh new company as well as overall limited choices of spec/options.

As for BMW, Audi, Mercedes, I would say with their EV's you will get one or another. The question is, what is your definition of performance? And how much do you want power wise? Coming from a 530e, even the "regular" non-performance branded EV models may suit this definition as they'll prove to be quicker and overall provide a more responsive powertrain than your current daily.
Many of the new electric cars are substantially slower than my car BUT that is only one component of performance. How does it handle? How does it do passing at high speeds (I sometimes travel on a country road with a 65 mph speed limit but only one lane in each direction and many drivers pulling trailers; there are a couple of high hills were there are passing lanes. I have been able to accelerate and easily pass such trailers on the hills before the hill ends and I get stuck behind them)?

A lot of the BEVs run out of torque and KW as the speed increases.

The 530e would not be my first choice today but it was the best choice at the time I acquired it in December of 2017. I would much have preferred the 545e but BMW won't sell it in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Many of the new electric cars are substantially slower than my car BUT that is only one component of performance. How does it handle? How does it do passing at high speeds (I sometimes travel on a country road with a 65 mph speed limit but only one lane in each direction and many drivers pulling trailers; there are a couple of high hills were there are passing lanes. I have been able to accelerate and easily pass such trailers on the hills before the hill ends and I get stuck behind them)?

The 530e would not be my first choice today but it was the best choice at the time I acquired it in December of 2017. I would much have preferred the 545e but BMW won't sell it in the US.
Sounds like maybe the next Macan EV might be a good choice. Should get more range than the Taycan while performing well and costing less (although still a pretty penny). Other than that, in the PHEV world if you don't mind an SUV, the closest to a 545e would be an X5 45e.

Other interesting EV's coming out are the MB EQE, Audi A6 E-Tron, Q6 E-Tron, etc. Probably best to wait if you want range and performance as I think better EV's will be out as some of the technology advances in the next couple of years.
      02-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Other interesting EV's coming out are the MB EQE, Audi A6 E-Tron, Q6 E-Tron, etc. Probably best to wait if you want range and performance as I think better EV's will be out as some of the technology advances in the next couple of years.
Looking closely at the upcoming Polestar 3 too. Should be a fine competitor to the iX.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
Quote:
Looking closely at the upcoming Polestar 3 too. Should be a fine competitor to the iX.
Agreed, now if only Polestar would quit with trying to act like a startup and let Volvo handle things. I still think it was incredibly stupid to spin them off as a separate brand rather than a sub division.
AlexFL7842.50
      02-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

I think you really need to get behind the wheel of some modern EV's. Even the RWD Kia EV6 I just drove last Friday had no problem accelerating from 60 up to 85 MPH in heavy highway traffic. Granted it's not "fast" but no slower than, say, a base Accord.

My Model 3 Performance goes 70-90 in about 2.5 ish seconds.

It's a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 03:44 AM   #9
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

I have just had a top of the range Kia EV6 for a couple of days. Superb in many way (performance, comfort, range, looks) but let down by some of the materials used in the cabin. Biggest downside was the £52k price tag…but compared to the cost of an iX it’s a positive bargain!

https://stock.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2dJr...n=16282&f=true

BMW need to be looking over their shoulder…..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25094.00
      02-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I think you really need to get behind the wheel of some modern EV's. Even the RWD Kia EV6 I just drove last Friday had no problem accelerating from 60 up to 85 MPH in heavy highway traffic. Granted it's not "fast" but no slower than, say, a base Accord.

My Model 3 Performance goes 70-90 in about 2.5 ish seconds.

It's a non-issue.
60-85 on a flat surface was not what I was talking about. Also...somehow I think I want something that is more than "no slower than, say, a base Accord".
Appreciate 0