BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Assisted Driving Mode - left bias?

I've done a few long motorway trips and just wanted to get your view of the Assisted Driving Mode. It seems to favour being a little too much to the left in the lane for my liking. I may be way off the mark here, but it feels like it might be setup for a left hand-drive rather than right-hand drive.

When I'm passing other cars they are a little too close and I tend to intervene, especially when its a huge wagon!

How have you found it?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

A bit left for me too
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #3
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Same here, I wonder if it’s because you are overtaking the cars on the left and the radar has a more accurate view of where they are compared with cars coming up from behind in the fast lane which are just being monitored by camera?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
uvpat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

Assisted Driving Mode - left bias?

Same here - Suspect that a section of the software is thinking the whole world is left-hand steering!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:51 AM   #5
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

I don't think it has anything to do with LHD/RHD: my car also tends to steer towards the center of the road a bit more than I would do myself. So same tendency, not 'mirrored'...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:54 AM   #6
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Yes, in roadworks with narrow lanes it’s a bit sweaty palms going past a wagon.

Also noticed that when using the Assisted Driving on urban roads, the system doesn’t seem to notice parked cars which are protruding into a lane.

I suppose the system is not really designed for this driving but I like to have it on for pure laziness!

I’m sure it would just plough into a parked car if you left it alone though….
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:06 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Are we talking political bias here?

Mine seems to be a liberal democrat - straight down the middle. Neither left or right leaning. Very comfortable with it on the motorway. I turn of the lane keeping in narrow lanes in roadworks as everything can be a little close.

It struggled on the M5 on Wednesday evening. The crosswinds were playing havoc with it, causing the alarm to go off requiring manual intervention. I gave up with it in the end.

Yesterday I was following a large articulated car transporter. The car failed to recognise it as a lorry. Instead it picked up on the car hanging off the back, and displayed the image of a car on the dash display!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:44 AM   #8
Cossa
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
I've done a few long motorway trips and just wanted to get your view of the Assisted Driving Mode. It seems to favour being a little too much to the left in the lane for my liking. I may be way off the mark here, but it feels like it might be setup for a left hand-drive rather than right-hand drive.

When I'm passing other cars they are a little too close and I tend to intervene, especially when its a huge wagon!

How have you found it?
Same here
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #9
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post

Mine seems to be a liberal democrat - straight down the middle. Neither left or right leaning. Very comfortable with it on the motorway. I turn of the lane keeping in narrow lanes in roadworks as everything can be a little close.
Same for me, it drives as I would have been.
Straight in the middle, no sweaty hands what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
amy.grange
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d, BMW iX3 Premier Ed

Left for me too
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

A question regarding assisted driving package.

Just checked my order spec and see that it is fitted with Driving Assistant Pro which comprises of Lane Control Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Active lane Guidance.
Does this include automatic lane change on motorways... as show on a recent viewed video?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Mine with the initial firmware was center biased, since 07/2021.85 it's deffo more left biased. Not sure if it was that version of firmware or the update on the sensors...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #13
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Yes left more side
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #14
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Mine with the initial firmware was center biased, since 07/2021.85 it's deffo more left biased. Not sure if it was that version of firmware or the update on the sensors...
The update made no difference to my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #15
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeam View Post
Does this include automatic lane change on motorways... as show on a recent viewed video?
If only it did. This is one feature that was present in some of the early models, but disabled on newer cars. Nobody really seems to know why. Apparently it may, or may not, be enabled in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 02:52 AM   #16
iX3inOz
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I wonder if it’s a regulatory issue in the UK?

I’m in Australia (so also RHD) and my iX3 has the lane change feature enabled in the assisted driving mode. I’m not a fan around the suburbs/towns but on the freeway the whole assisted driving setup is exceptional.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #17
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3inOz View Post
I wonder if it’s a regulatory issue in the UK?

I’m in Australia (so also RHD) and my iX3 has the lane change feature enabled in the assisted driving mode. I’m not a fan around the suburbs/towns but on the freeway the whole assisted driving setup is exceptional.
It is an England thing, if you go in and mod the country over to FFFF then it gets enabled, just on the 07/2021.85 it's a bit of a pain, as struggling to get it to code properly using latest data for esys.

That might be though because BMW have already sorta admitted that 07/2021.85 is a bit of a broken firmware (has lots of issues, battery cooling and profile being the main ones)
Appreciate 0