F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW Street Comfort fitted - whirring noise/resonating/humming.
GetBMWParts

02-25-2022, 05:10 AM   #1
JoshU
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 430d

So I had this set installed and have since had the above symptoms when driving (most audible between 20mph and getting louder till around 80 where it seems to get quieter, presumably as it's drowned out by wind and tyre noise.

I had the coilovers lower the car substantially but it's certainly not slammed. I was wondering if anyone has had any kind of similar issues or would know a clear route for fault diagnosing.

I've removed the spacers to see if I can notice a difference. None.

Lowered tyre pressure substantially for a test drive just to monitor the sound, no difference.

Visually inspected the wheel well as much as I can.

Taken it back to the installing garage and they wanted to go down the route of returning to the original suspension setup.

2 garages have suggested it's the tyres and to replace them, but then I've told them the noise appeared, then the tyres were changed a few days after and they made no difference.

My F32 is on 80,000 miles. I haven't ruled out a dodgy wheel bearing but it seems like a huge coincidence for it to start failing exactly as I lower the car etc.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gz6QJ9jy1-E?feature=share

This is a video I took of the sound. It's hard to really capture but once you zone in on the noise it's the loudest thing in the video.

Photo attached is the removed suspension components because it's bothering me purely with the amount of rubber insulating parts that have been removed and not refit with the new set, and just in case somebody knows that part of that should be installed with the coilovers.

If anyone can offer any help it'll be massively appreciated, I don't know where to go from here without spending lots of money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Remote diagnostics being what they are ...

Any whirring sound which increases as the speed increases has rotational roots, i.e. higher RPMs introduce forces which causes parts out of tolerance range to rotate in a non circular motion and generate unwanted sounds.

Washing machine loader with a bad bearing inside the motor will cause the same behavior, albeit with a different sound.

There isn't anything in coilovers which rotates at higher RPMs as the speed increases.

Is your car xDrive by any chance?

I suggest to inspect all axles, wheel bearings, and CV joints as a start.
Appreciate 1
JoshU12.00
      02-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
Fizzius
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X3m40i, 16 340xi (retired)

Agree with the above. If it’s an xdrive vehicle it could be putting unnecessary/excessive angle on the axles causing them to make noise.

Start by raising the car back up to a close to stock height and see if sound goes away. If so then you have found part of the culprit.
Appreciate 2
JoshU12.00
      02-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

38mm is the max you should lower or undue stress and risk on the front axles or half shaft may occur. when lowered, the front the angle puts more stress on the half shaft and it also pulls it out some, so it's not 100% engaged to the differential. here is a link to a thread with an in depth analysis on the subject.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1514736&page=2
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5948.50
      02-27-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
JoshU
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 430d

So it's not an xdrive car however there's still plenty of new ideas here to consider and look into when I can, so they're all greatly appreciated.

At the moment I'm pausing the more in depth investigation because I've found some damaged panelling at the front, allowing lots of airflow to enter places it shouldn't and perhaps at least be contributing to the humming sounds I'm experiencing.

I'll be updating this thread when I have made progress, albeit probably slow progress due to work.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Does it seem to come from the center tunnel rear floorboard area?

If so it is the plastic parking brake clip. $9 part, $900 labor. Or the aftermarket metal clip from aga tool is $120 and only a couple hours labor to install.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0